Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Is Wine Nation in Millbury Closed?

Discussion in 'New England' started by FluffyMcTingle, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jake351

Jake351 May 4, 2012 Massachusetts

Heh..my ESP is working well!
    Yesterday I went to Julio's and picked up some Ommegang, then I got a kick out of your post above when I got home. Glad I didn't waste the gas to drive to Millbury.
    Prices MAY be more at Julio's, but I have NEVER left emptyhanded; the selection and more importantly consistency is there. Have also been pleasantly surprised by Wegman's.
    A friend of mine also went into Winenation recently and found out in person that there weren't any 'unbelievable deals' as mentioned in Trone's post. A crock of @#$% is right.

2. Flashy

Flashy Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

this is got to be the longest running and most WGAS thread in BA history. Last week the owner did post a mea culpa which should be good enough for everyone just now.

3. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

WGAS? We give a shit?

4. Goldfishman

Goldfishman Jan 29, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

?????

5. Jake351

Fixed.

jomobono, Horbar, Goldfishman and 2 others like this.
  6. Flashy

The owner said he was trying to fix the problem. I've seen bars, restaurants, brew pubs, breweries, baseball teams (Red Sox) fall by the wayside over the years. Either this place is finished or it's not. Time will tell just wondering why 200 posts were needed to watch this particular places fall.

7. Psychmusic

Psychmusic Jun 22, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Feel free to not watch this thread anymore if you don't like it. Looking back at the posts you can see there are large gaps in the time that posts are made. When there is a new update, people post. I follow this because I live close by. If the owner makes promises, it's helpful to know about them, and to hear from fellow BAs whether he follows through.

This store had potential. Maybe it still does- we will continue to track and discuss its progress, whether it is upwards or downwards. In response to your your implied question (Who gives a shit), Jnorton00 was spot on- the people who are posting in this thread. If you don't like it, you're more than welcome to buzz off.

Goldfishman and Jake351 like this.
  8. Flashy

Sorry, should have kept my nose out of it. Must have been a great place to have almost 200 posts since May. I've seen sublime places die without a whisper (maybe that's why we have this website).

9. Danally

Danally Jan 5, 2013

I was at Wine Nation today at 4 pm and again at 6 pm. The lights were out and the place is closed. A police officer was there upon my second visit wondering why it was closed and lights out. I just purchased gift cards before Christmas, so now what!? Is my hard earned money that i spent for gift cards for my friends wasted?! The shelves looked a bit bare and there was no answer or any message when i tried calling them tonight. I'm pretty upset that an email wasn't sent to say anything about them shutting their doors. UGH!

10. Jake351

This isn't the first time the store has closed without announcement.
    *But you might ask yourself, WHY would a store that has promised to turn over a new leaf closed on what could be the most financially lucrative time of the week for liquor sales (Friday PM??)
    *If you REALLY want to get an answer, I recommend that you bring it up publicly by posting on their Facebook page. It's almost guaranteed to elicit a response (unless they take your post down to prevent the..negative publicity).
    I personally would never buy gift cards from this outfit. With giftcards, you are essentially handing over your money blindly with no immediate return. Gift cards only hold their value for as long as their business is solvent.
    Same goes for plunking down money ahead of time for their 'wine and beer education classes', since you get better value (free(!) at Juliio's classes.
    Their track record and business sense so far (and your recent experience only proves it) is questionably self-destructive at best. January is the time for resolutions, and it's sad that Winenation has not proven to keep to theirs...

Flashy likes this.
  11. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

They just posted they were closed. I feel bad you probably got screwed on the cards but why would you buy them in the first place?

Jake351 likes this.
  12. Horbar

Horbar Feb 24, 2012 Rhode Island

Are they closed for good now?

13. Jake351

Who knows...they're about as transparent as Congress when it comes to disclosing any useful information.

One can only hope, I could think of 10 other businesses that I'd love to see take over that building.

14. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Sep 20, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

That's too bad, I have good memories of this place (>2 years ago) when I was studying in Worcester. They had a good selection of craft beer.

Jake351 likes this.
  15. seplo

seplo Sep 8, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

This thread shouldve been done with 6 months ago...lol....CHEERS

Jwale73 likes this.
  16. dumpman

dumpman Feb 6, 2010 Rhode Island

This place is like a soap opera...

Horbar likes this.
  17. LarryV

LarryV Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

I just went by there and it was closed. Went to another local store and the rumor is that they were thrown out by mall management for not paying the rent. Whether it's true or not I can't verify, but it looks like the place is closed for good. I suppose there's always the possibility that his brothers come in and open a Total Wine in it's place.

18. LarryV

LarryV Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

Just found this at T&G:

MILLBURYWine Nation in the Shoppes at Blackstone Valley has gone out of business, according to the mall's owner, Chestnut Hill-based WS Development.
    The store closed its doors Jan. 4.

Wine Nation opened with much fanfare in July 2010 in a 32,000-square-foot space with more than 6,000 bottles of wine. The store was run by Thomas Trone; his wife, Jill L. Trone, and his son, Taylor Trone.

They chose the location because it is near Routes 146 and 20 and the Massachusetts Turnpike.

David W. Fleming, director of corporate marketing for WS Development, said the wine store occupied a tremendous site in the shopping center.

“There is already a great deal of interest in that space,” Mr. Fleming said.

Wine Nation had met some resistance from local package store owners. The state Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission upheld the town's issuance of a beer and wine license to Wine Nation, denying an appeal from local package store owners.

— Linda Bock

19. Jake351

Finally...I think this thread finally answered it's own question!!!

I just pity the poor (but well-meaning) shmucks who bought gift cards around the holidays when Wine Nation portrayed and touted itself public in the months of Nov and Dec as on its great comeback run...(Yeah..right)

20. ActonBrewer

ActonBrewer Apr 9, 2009 Massachusetts

I believe they have to honor those gift cards as cash in the state of MA.

21. dumpman

Total wine would be nice...
    Any half decent craft beer and wine shop, but the space and rent may be too high to generate enough revenue to sustain business.
    Stay tuned....

22. Jake351

from: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...rds/overview/new-risks-with-gift-cards-ov.htm

An excerpt: "At the other extreme, some retailers have shut down altogether, advising cardholders to make a claim in bankruptcy court, where they’ll have to line up with other creditors for a piece of the defunct company. In the Sharper Image case, an estimated $20 million in gift cards and certificates were unredeemed when the retailer filed for bankruptcy reorganization last February."

23. ppoitras

ppoitras Jan 15, 2004 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

Just to give their side of the story, this was posted on WineNation's Facebook page yesterday:

I did not originally think it was appropriate to post, but given some of the comments about WineNation and myself I feel compelled to share some facts. The closing of WineNation was not planned; it was the result of the landlord choosing to send a sheriff to lock us out of the site. To be clear this was certainly within the landlord’s rights; we did fall behind on rent and were negotiating a potential solution with the landlord, but unexpectedly the landlord choose to attempt to evict us. We are currently engaged in discussions with the landlord as to the future of WineNation in Millbury. We would like to reopen in the existing space or preferably a smaller space within the plaza, but must work out an agreement with the landlord for this to happen. At a bare minimum we are asking the landlord to let us reopen long enough to honor the outstanding gift cards and sell down the existing inventory to pay off our creditors. Nothing will be decided for at least a week. Once we have a decision from the landlord we will let everyone know.

Hopefully it works out in the end for everyone.
    Pete

24. Rooster286

Rooster286 Aug 20, 2010 Massachusetts

It makes zero financial sense to allow WN to reopen, especially if there was a significant sell through of gift cards before the holiday. Secured creditors will get first crack at any remaining inventory, so to allow WN to reopen to redeem gift cards (money already collected and gone) for product would be ill-advised at best. Sucks for the people that bought them, but anyone who has been in that store in the last year should have known better.

The place had some promise but was a flawed design from the get-go. No liquor store needs anywhere near that amount of SQ footage, nor is it likely to succeed in premium retail space like at Blackstone. When they started struggling they had the big push to get hard alcohol in thinking that it would save the business (a business plan predicated on wine and beer sales only at the beginning).

As soon as they announced the new store (with Millbury already struggling to maintain acceptable stock levels) I knew they were doomed. It was nice to not have to drive all the way to westborough to get good beer, but Julios understands how to treat customers and does 1000% better at maintaining stock levels and answering questions regarding when things were coming in (standard stock response at WN was "yeah we should have that but I have no idea when"). Out of the perhaps 40-50 times I shopped at Wine Nation I honestly don't think I've ever had a single person say "hi" when I walked in the door, despite someone always posted at the "service desk" in the front. That being said, all the little liquor stores in Millbury/Grafton that opposed WN opening are generally full of grouchy dickheads too.

For those of you that don't go to Julios for whatever reason, Wegmans in Northboro has a fantastic beer selection now too.

Jnorton00 and dumpman like this.
  25. dumpman

end of story?

Horbar likes this.
  26. logitech886

logitech886 May 12, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yes it is the end of the story. WN never reopened and there is now a Nordstrom in its place.

27. jomobono

jomobono Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Do they sell beer?

28. RCL

RCL Jul 23, 2008 Massachusetts

No, but if you try to return some, I hear that they will probably take it back.

jomobono likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe