ISO: a Midwest city for the next BeerAdvocate fest

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Oct 10, 2018.

1. jarytk

jarytk Initiate (26) Sep 4, 2017 Missouri

I may be a little biased but I would highly recommend St. Louis. A great craft beer town. Whether you want to have it indoors or outdoors, there are plenty of viable venues. St. Louis is centrally located. In larger metropolitan areas, the 1500 attendees would sell out quickly leaving many more unhappy they couldn't attend.

2. J_rodriguez86

J_rodriguez86 Initiate (90) Apr 20, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

3. knight442

knight442 Initiate (31) Aug 26, 2015 California

Indianapolis.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  4. floyd_pugman

floyd_pugman Aspirant (218) Sep 14, 2015 California
    Trader

5. MStoecker

MStoecker Initiate (37) Oct 19, 2014 Ohio

Columbus, OH or Cincinnati, OH

GreenBayBA and mervmurry like this.
  6. Joshuamsulla

Joshuamsulla Initiate (15) Aug 18, 2018 Minnesota

7. cloudhouse

cloudhouse Initiate (104) May 21, 2005 Ohio

Indianapolis! It is literally convention city due to its central location in the US, close to a major airport, plenty of downtown accomodations, major convention center if you would choose to hold the event there. Indy beer scene is thriving with over 10 brew pubs or brewery taprooms in the downtown area, the Tomlinson Tap Room nestled in the City Market serving exclusively Indiana craft beer on tap, two companies doing the "Beer Bike" thing...etc. You name it, this city has it.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  8. Rubezahl

Rubezahl Aspirant (278) Apr 15, 2018 Pennsylvania

Des Moines or Minneapolis

9. Boldbrew

Boldbrew Initiate (137) Jun 26, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

Absolutely Minneapolis!

GreenBayBA, mwilbur and TrailsandAles like this.
  10. ChazBoner

ChazBoner Initiate (117) Jun 29, 2014 Tennessee

Come to Knoxville man.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  11. NRajtarski

NRajtarski Initiate (88) Jan 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

St. Paul/Minneapolis the craft beer scene here is really starting to take off. I'm sure other places in the surrounding area would show up even if they aren't from "the Twin Cities".

12. spelingchampeon

spelingchampeon Meyvn (1,073) Feb 21, 2016 Delaware
    Society Trader

I live nowhere near any of those cities.. but would suggest either Indianapolis or Dayton. My reasoning is, it shouldn't be 1 city of breweries. It should be a central city, where MORE breweries would consider it. Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Nashville, Louisville, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Chicago.

13. Quackershnoc

Quackershnoc Aspirant (227) Nov 7, 2012 Michigan

14. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,510) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

No shit right, there's a guy here in Asheboro that is all Chicago food. Their roast beef is called the Big Ditka, and it's damn good, everything in his lunchenett comes from Chicago, even the bread. The Chicago dogs are killer good too. All that's left is an Old Style.

ovaltine likes this.
  15. SagittariusA

SagittariusA Initiate (180) Jan 23, 2017 Missouri
    Trader

By population density, St Louis seems to have a lot more votes than anyone else. Almost as many as Chicago and Chicago has about 8 million more people. For people that drive, Chicago sucks awfully. Besides LA and New York, I don't think the traffic could get any worse.

16. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,232) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I still really like Old Style.

A lot - a LOT lot.

Especially on a hot summer day.

GreenBayBA, nc41 and DraughtJunkie82 like this.
  17. browner

browner Initiate (172) Feb 10, 2007 Wisconsin

Milwaukee, WI.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  18. biermark

biermark Initiate (77) Sep 9, 2008 South Carolina

19. mkanne3616

mkanne3616 Aspirant (272) Sep 7, 2015 Missouri

Kansas City is without doubt the best beer town in the entire Midwest. Home of Boulevard Brewery and many outstanding other microbreweries. Easy to fly to and the best BBQ in the world, not just the USA. I will gladly help arrange the event with Boulevard and the city!

GreenBayBA likes this.
  20. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (7,780) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Chicago needs a major fest for the spring. Central location, transportation all a plus. Beer scene in city and chicagoland growing rapidly. Makes most sense given criteria.
    That all being said if going for smaller city with a lot to offer, and maybe I am biased having visited it lately, but St Louis is a lot of fun.
    Really excited about this, beeradvocate fest I went to in boston was awesome, and I love all the midwest cities, so you can't really go wrong!

GreenBayBA and FBarber like this.
  21. Beaufordman

Beaufordman Initiate (76) Oct 6, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Milwaukee! It has an exploding craft beer scene with tons of new breweries popping up all over. Great young working adults who love to drink beer, great hotels, convention center area that isn't huge to get around. Would be the perfect city for a fest like this in order to keep it smaller.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  22. Dvmel

Dvmel Initiate (53) Apr 25, 2015 Ohio

Columbus, OH. Best choice.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  23. loudmouth

loudmouth Initiate (106) May 24, 2010 Wisconsin

Having been to most of these cities I’d say MSP is the best choice here. Madison would be fun but their airport isn’t big enough.

GreenBayBA and TrailsandAles like this.
  24. Ben-jammin

Ben-jammin Initiate (16) Sep 6, 2018 Minnesota

Minneapolis all the way. Our new nickname is land of 10,000 BEERS... do the math. If not Mpls (since we already have many festivals), I vote for Des Moines - my brother moved "south" (from MN) and when I visit they have an impressively emergent craft scene.

25. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,569) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Champaign-Urbana, IL.

26. Jbuitron

Jbuitron Initiate (70) Sep 11, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

I admit, I was a homer. Eliminating cities in my current home state (STL and KC) I’m intrigued with what people are saying about Milwaukee but Indy seems to be logical from a central to all stand point. My non-homervote is Indy.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  27. pecansandy

pecansandy Initiate (15) Jan 12, 2017 Illinois

How about the Quad cities. Davenport, Rock island, Bettendorf, and moline. We are right off I 80. Right in the middle of Chicago, st Louis, and Des Moines.Great venues along the Mississippi river and the beer scene is exploding in this area. Absolutely great accommodations. Lots of great brewing history as well...Cheers everyone

GreenBayBA and DesMoinesMike like this.
  28. Jkolls

Jkolls Disciple (323) Dec 2, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

CLEVELAND ! We need it the most! @masthead @platform

GreenBayBA likes this.
  29. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,081) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Better than normal.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  30. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,569) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Or maybe Sioux Falls, SD. Beautiful city, great convention center, walkable downtown.

bbtkd likes this.
  31. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,857) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I know it seems bad to someone from St. Louis, but Chicago traffic isn’t actually horrible by comparison. The city doesn’t really score highly on many of the lists of worst US cities for traffic. admittedly it isn’t great, but it’s not too 5, which for its size isn’t bad.

32. Shoney_35

Shoney_35 Devotee (403) Sep 6, 2013 Ohio

Columbus!

GreenBayBA likes this.
  33. Duekerc

Duekerc Initiate (182) Dec 18, 2016 Missouri

Saint Louis

GreenBayBA and OakvilleKGB like this.
  34. NickSMpls

NickSMpls Meyvn (1,306) Nov 11, 2012 Washington
    Society Trader

Minneapolis / St. Paul. Give us another reason to come back and visit. It's next door to Wisconsin as well.

35. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,357) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Chicagoland area certainly. Perhaps if not the city proper than somewhere like the Rosemont area (close to airport, plenty of hotels, blue line train goes to the city for side excursions) might work.

REVZEB and FBarber like this.
  36. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,510) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Some beers just work great, it wasn't broken it doesn't need to be fixed. Some AALs are really perfect on a hot humid summer day, so super bitter IPA needed.

37. E-Mills86

E-Mills86 Initiate (16) Sep 7, 2014 Pennsylvania

As someone else said, Pittsburgh may not technically be Midwest but we do have a great convention center and tons of hotels within walking distance. The beer scene here is phenomenal. The Pittsburgh Brewers Guild recently released the first edition of the Pittsburgh Brewery Guide which I’m told sold out within the first few days. The only downside is our airport isn’t the greatest and it’s a little bit of a drive from the city. I would however be more than willing to drive to Columbus or Cleveland.
    https://pghbreweryguide.com/

GreenBayBA and VoxRationis like this.
  38. bradster

bradster Initiate (52) May 19, 2017 Tennessee

Milwaukee. Nothing says beer like Milwaukee.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  39. SagittariusA

SagittariusA Initiate (180) Jan 23, 2017 Missouri
    Trader

I suppose I see an angle of what you are saying, I lived there for 5 years and travel there frequently. For people that live outside of Chicago, it blows.

GreenBayBA and FBarber like this.
  40. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,857) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I commuted from Northern Virginia to DC down I-66 for 3 years ... so coming to Chicago wasn't that bad. :stuck_out_tongue:

GreenBayBA and SagittariusA like this.