ISO: a Midwest city for the next BeerAdvocate fest

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Drunken_sherpa

Drunken_sherpa Initiate (15) Feb 7, 2018 Missouri

St. Louis!!! Great beer history.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  2. beermeblazer99

beermeblazer99 Initiate (77) Dec 31, 2009 Michigan

Lansing, MI has new breweries popping up all the time. It’s located centrally in Michigan, between Grand Rapids and Detroit, and there are ample indoor/outdoor venues to accommodate that size crowd.

3. MattThomas

MattThomas Initiate (112) Jul 20, 2004 California

Three logistical suggestions...

Cincinnati - Already does an amazing job with Oktoberfest, great brewery scene.
    Ann Arbor/Detroit - Easy to get to, incredible breweries abound, good lodging.
    Fort Wayne - Emerging brewing scene, central location and easy from all directions.

meanmutt likes this.
  4. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Devotee (471) May 3, 2016 Illinois

Milwaukee is out. The beer market is too mature to be up and coming. I hear they have 30,000 people a night turning out for their brewers. And apparently their brewers have beat Colorado's head to head repeatedly in the past week.

Minneapolis is out. This is a spring festival and Minnesota only has two seasons, none of which are spring.

St. Louis is out. The biggest producer of American beer was/is based here. How can this be considered an up coming market?

JohnnyChicago and FBarber like this.
  5. omlooper

omlooper Initiate (46) Apr 25, 2008 Missouri

St. Louis city for sure. (sorry county folk)

90% of what people will want to visit is at most a 15 minute drive, usually much less. (shuttle to Narrow Gauge!!!)

No L like Chicago but plenty of Uber and Lyft drivers.

Parking is a breeze compared to other, bigger cities. (looking at you Chicago!)

Plenty of hotels.

Hard to beat Side Project, Perennial, 2nd Shift & 4 Hands as anchors of an event like this. Something for everyone.

St. Louis is just a very easy city to get around.

TriggerFingers and OakvilleKGB like this.
  6. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,524) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Des Moines is actually a great option in the Midwest. Great beer scene and very accessible. Can't speak to their public transportation though.

Kansas City is also known for its kindness and hospitality though. :wink:

7. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,524) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

To double down on Kansas City, we have a street car that is free for all riders. The street car rides through the heart of downtown and connects Union Station (south of downtown) with River Market (north of downtown). It would allow riders to access a beer fest along its route from three different areas of town, with a few possible venues along the stretch (Union Station and Bartle Hall stand out).

The street car also passes 18th Street, which is well known for its collection of breweries. River Market area has its own breweries as well. Sadly, not really any good BBQ aside from Jack Stack along the street car route, so that would most likely require a drive.

St. Louis does have more notable breweries (seriously, I'm jealous), but many of them are far apart and require a Uber/Lyft ride, a designated driver, or trading off on bus routes to access (thinking of Perennial, Side Project, and Narrow Gauge). 2nd Shift is worth visiting too, but is a little further out of the way. Their America's Convention Center is pretty central to downtown and fun areas, but I can't speak to any public transit that reaches it aside from buses.

#287 Harrison8, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    OakvilleKGB likes this.
  8. boogerisu

boogerisu Devotee (464) Aug 19, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

DesMoinesMike and Harrison8 like this.
  9. omlooper

omlooper Initiate (46) Apr 25, 2008 Missouri

Forgot to mention that St. Louis is a hub for Southwest Airlines. Direct flights to most all of the country. Including Boston

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  10. jjboesen

jjboesen Meyvn (1,172) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland

My vote would be for Columbus, OH: it has a great beer scene and is home to the only Brew Dog in the USA (with a hotel).

11. elphant888

elphant888 Initiate (26) Jan 8, 2016 Illinois

Chicago please! Center of region, tons of accommodations, booming beer scene

12. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,492) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Hmmm...I'd like to see it in a not-so-obvious city. Des Moines is interesting. It does have an international airport.

Lincoln, NE maybe.
    Personally, I'd love to see it in Lawrence, KS. You can use KU football stadium. Nothing else going on there.

dcotom, BottleCaps80 and boogerisu like this.
  13. ChrisSchlosser

ChrisSchlosser Initiate (93) Nov 15, 2013 Ohio

Cleveland!!!!!!!!!

ManBearPat likes this.
  14. AJSUSFS

AJSUSFS Initiate (31) Sep 4, 2015 Pennsylvania

Without knowing this locale's recent history re. beer fests, I am voting for Grand Rapids, MI. Recently (Sept.) visited there; was not disappointed at all.

15. beefbucket

beefbucket Initiate (99) Mar 7, 2015 Missouri

Absolutely St. Louis! Easy to get to from many Midwest cities and TONS of amazing breweries and passionate drinkers.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  16. jdtinthelbc

jdtinthelbc Initiate (64) Jan 28, 2012 Missouri

Honestly, StL is a great location, biases aside.
    Central location + Southwest hub for out-of-towners, multiple old and new breweries in a beer scene that’s been growing since the early 90s, ample lodging and numerous free attractions, a city center that’s relatively easy to get around (the traffic is never as bad as comparable cities), and could honestly use some attention after losing the Rams and the convention business that came with them.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  17. DesMoinesMike

DesMoinesMike Champion (812) Mar 23, 2008 Iowa

We have a bus system, but with the downtown area is very walkable and we have a skywalk system which is handy inclement weather.

BottleCaps80 and Harrison8 like this.
  18. Ladnar

Ladnar Initiate (27) Jul 24, 2018 South Carolina

Dayton Ohio

19. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,707) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Premium Trader

Wut?

20. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,414) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

For everyone saying St. Louis is a Southwest hub, thats true, but Chicago has Midway which is Southwest's largest hub.

Harrison8 and HouseofWortship like this.
  21. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (474) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

What are you on about here? Usually I'd say what you are smoking but usually people ask that about Colorado.
    EDIT: I guess he's making a reference to the Milwaukee Brewers baseball team vs. the Colorado Rockies... sigh...

22. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Devotee (471) May 3, 2016 Illinois

23. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (474) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

They should throw out anyone's vote who is stumping for whatever city/state they currently live in.

ManBearPat likes this.
  24. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,414) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

So 95% of the votes here?

25. Trainman4beer

Trainman4beer Initiate (74) Nov 11, 2010 Michigan

Marshall,Michigan. Home to the Dark Horse Brewing, and now Grand River Brewing. Midway between Chicago & Detroit at intersection of Interstates 69 & 94. Captures two famous beer cities, all of Michigan, close to Bell's Brewing, New Holland Brewing, and Founders. What a GREAT combo. No doubt the best.
    The birthplace of the John Bellairs and the REAL House with a Clock in its Walls!
    Www.choosemarshall.com

26. jeffroesch

jeffroesch Initiate (15) May 13, 2017 Illinois

Chicago, St. Louis, Milwaukee in that order

27. bd709nc

bd709nc Initiate (20) Jul 21, 2018 Indiana

Indianapolis, a great beer city with lots of venues withing walking distance.

28. FightingEntropy

FightingEntropy Meyvn (1,009) Apr 30, 2005 Minnesota

Minneapolis.

mwilbur and TrailsandAles like this.
  29. JFreres

JFreres Disciple (334) Dec 2, 2014 Wisconsin
    Premium Trader

It's gotta be Chicago or Milwaukee

30. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Champion (815) Jul 28, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

The @Pittsburgh_official_scene is blowing up with #paste and #haze now. v ripe for a’swooping.

Not sure if the market is right in Celeve. Columbus could be cool.

31. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Defender (687) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

32. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (1,740) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois

Shitcago, please.

JohnnyChicago and FBarber like this.
  33. stortore

stortore Poo-Bah (2,180) May 31, 2011 Illinois
    Premium

Chicago!

FBarber and TriggerFingers like this.
  34. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (321) Apr 29, 2012 California

The correct answer: Chicago.

If you've ever driven through the entire Midwest, you'll realize the Windy City is an oasis of civilization. I absolutely love eating and drinking there. Probably my favorite larger city in the United States to visit.

Runner(s) up: St Louis, Kansas City, Indianapolis (probably in that order).

35. agacomeau

agacomeau Initiate (63) Oct 5, 2010 Minnesota

If you hold it in May the weather in Minneapolis is fine. Huge convention center, hotels galore and a solid public transportation system. You could even do it at the State Fairgrounds. Most importantly the beer scene here is intense. At least 50 breweries of all sizes in the Twin Cities metro and over a hundred statewide. You can't go wrong with this location!

mwilbur and brother_rebus like this.
  36. D9sus4

D9sus4 Initiate (130) Oct 15, 2014 Missouri

St. Louis for many logical reasons:

1) St. Louis has more than 20 breweries not including Anheuser-Busch which is worth visiting even if you don't drink their beer.
    2) St. Louis' Lambert airport is a major Midwest hub for many airlines, and there are cheap flights to and from it to most other cities.
    3) Hotels are much less expensive here than Chicago, Kansas City, Indianapolis, and most other major Midwestern cities.
    4) Lots of good venues for hosting the event, many with free parking.
    5) Many cool places to visit if you bring the family, like the great St. Louis Zoo, the Art or History museums, Forest Park, Botanical Gardens, the Arch, and most of them have Free admission.
    6) The local beer community is very friendly, and supportive, and would help make the arrangements.
    7) The weather in St. Louis in the Spring, is generally milder than most of the other major Midwestern cities, since it's a little further south.

HopsAreDaMan likes this.
  37. jdoncbus

jdoncbus Disciple (367) Jun 17, 2006 Ohio

I was in Chapel Hill a few years ago, I was unaware their metro area held over 2 million folks. Note to self....

38. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (613) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

Because I live here and think it's a great city with a very great (and growing) beer scene, I'd vote for Des Moines, IA.

Realistic choices:
    1. Minneapolis
    2. Chicago
    3. Milwaukee

39. undermined

undermined Initiate (119) Sep 24, 2017 Illinois
    Premium

40. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,707) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Premium Trader

I could be wrong, but I have to imagine venues are going to be exponentially more expensive in Chicago than a lot of the other options