ISO: a Midwest city for the next BeerAdvocate fest

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Oct 10, 2018.

1. c3p0

c3p0 Initiate (157) Jul 6, 2018 Minnesota

Minneapolis or Saint Paul, MN

mwilbur and TrailsandAles like this.
  2. Zenboy99

Zenboy99 Aspirant (275) Mar 3, 2018 Wisconsin

Madison Wisconsin

Milktoast75 and islay like this.
  3. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Champion (808) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

They should do that for beer reviews too!
    :wink:

Harrison8, dcotom, Jaycase and 2 others like this.
  4. ShaneP

ShaneP Initiate (125) Jan 26, 2013 Indiana
    Brewery Trader

Yes Upland Sour Fest happens but it has moved around over the years from March to June. In 2019 it is the 3rd week of March. It is a nice event but a few hundred attendees. Not like the local major events (multiple thousands) like a Guild event or similar. Presume a BA event in Indy would also be a different focus than sours. May is both Indy500 in Indy and now that 3F moved Dark Lord back a couple years ago that is also in May. March/April is pretty good for new major event in Indy.

DrippingI likes this.
  5. BurtStL6

BurtStL6 Initiate (148) Jun 30, 2015 Missouri

Please come to KC!!!

Harrison8 likes this.
  6. islay

islay Disciple (333) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

I've been to almost every city in the Midwest with a population of over 200,000. Madison, Wisconsin is the most enjoyable of them to spend a weekend by far.

7. ADG2995

ADG2995 Aspirant (258) Jan 8, 2013 Missouri
    Trader

St. Louis hands down.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  8. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

cheeseheadinMinneapolis Zealot (524) Sep 20, 2017 Minnesota
    Society

Madison > Minneapolis > Milwaukee > Chicago
    The rest of the cities mentioned I can't say much about since I haven't been there recently, 30 years ago doesn't count.
    Somewhere in Michigan maybe ok, is MI the Midwest? but it's been 20 to 30 years since I have been to some of those cities

9. DocRoc

DocRoc Initiate (115) Jul 15, 2016 Kentucky

Canton, Ohio

10. DocRoc

I would concur, but "The 'Ville" already has a spring Beer fest during Derby.

11. DocRoc

I suggested Canton, Ohio that way you guys from Pittburgh can drive over

brother_rebus likes this.
  12. DocRoc

Canton, Ohio
    1) Good time of year to visit Pro Football Hall of Fame at the sametime
    2) Easy to drive to via I-71, I-77 even I-75 (e.g., Cincy, Columbus, and Cleveland OH, Buffalo NY, Pittsburg PA, Detriot MI, Indianapolis IN)
    3) Plenty of Hotels in town and adjacent cities (i.e., Arkon, Cleveland)
    4) Public Transportation (City Bus line)

#332 DocRoc, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  13. Ffenski

Ffenski Initiate (135) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio

I think you should plan your next city based on multiple future Midwest fests. Meaning, the Midwest is huge, from the Cincy/Columbus area to Iowa, to Milwaukee/Minneapolis. Pick one area next year and then move to another part of the burgeoning Midwest craft scene!

Harrison8 and meanmutt like this.
  14. DrippingI

DrippingI Initiate (188) Apr 12, 2012 Indiana
    Trader

Indianapolis, Indiana

The city's beer scene has been growing within the last few years and has excellent breweries operating around town. We're smack dab in the middle of many larger cities (Chicago, Saint Louis, Detroit, Grand Rapids, Louisville, Columbus, Cincinnati, Nashville, etc.), making it a lot easier for more people to travel here by car.

Along with that, there are plenty of hotels downtown for people to stay in, event centers large enough to hold this fest in, and bars/breweries within walking distance or a very short uber ride to.

15. VanBeer

VanBeer Initiate (156) Apr 9, 2007 Indiana
    Trader

INDIANAPOLIS

Indy is the place to be. The city is constantly receiving accolades for its hospitality. Check out this link.

https://www.visitindy.com/indianapolis-indy-accolades

Transportation options are many, with hundreds of scooters, ubers, public transit, etc. Downtown Indy is quite walkable anyway so your feet are a great transport option.

The food landscape is incredible. As far as attractions go the dining scene may be second only to the burgeoning beer arena. There are no less than 83 breweries/taprooms in the Indy metro area, including 44 within the I-465 loop alone. These range in size from well established regional 30,000 barrel Sunking to numerous neighborhood 5, 10, 20 barrel brewpubs; many of which of have been national and international award winners.

As for competing fests... There are no large fests in Indy during the spring. If there are small fests then those would be a great backup plan for anybody not fortunate enough to get a ticket to the BA fest sessions. There are sooo many beer aficionados in the area that all fests are well attended.

While there are numerous great options in the Midwest, Indy has organically grown its beer scene and would be tremendous host for a BA festival.

Basic criteria:
    • Spring 2019.
    • One-day, two-sessions.
    • No more than 1,500 attendees per session.
    • The city should have a well-established or growing beer scene with ample accommodation and transportation options in the area.
    • Can't step on any toes, so don't suggest a city that already has a major fest during the spring.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/events/

16. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (450) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

MINNEAPOLIS/ST PAUL

mwilbur likes this.
  17. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (450) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

By Beer Advocates own definition: Midwest = Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota

Harrison8, c-rum and OakvilleKGB like this.
  18. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (326) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

Kansas City Missouri: Great brewing scene, not overly pretentious and just plain laid back. Great breweries of course include Boulevard but I really love KC Bier and their emphasis on traditional German styles.

19. giffordw

giffordw Initiate (91) Jul 3, 2008 Wisconsin

Minneapolis MN
    Madison Wi already has many large fests.

20. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (567) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

21. mervmurry

mervmurry Initiate (134) Aug 24, 2007 Kentucky
    Trader

Cincinnati! Great beer scene here, huge winter beer fest, ample accommodations and beautiful in the spring!

meanmutt likes this.
  22. Vitacca

Vitacca Zealot (510) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Lake Geneva, WI so I can walk there. Plus there's one brewery and space for others to build if that counts for "up and coming."

brother_rebus likes this.
  23. Thorzdad

Thorzdad Initiate (38) Jul 1, 2010 Indiana

We'd love to have you here in Indy.

Floater57 likes this.
  24. Floater57

Floater57 Initiate (84) Apr 26, 2008 Indiana

Indianapolis! We have about 4 dozen or more breweries in the Indy metro area, and we're set up for conventions. Come on out!

25. meigs3

meigs3 Initiate (178) Nov 21, 2009 Florida

Why the Midwest? How about Birmingham, AL ot Tallahassee, FL?

26. Jimmylikesbeer

Jimmylikesbeer Initiate (158) Apr 27, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

Grand Rapids, MI

beersampler6 likes this.
  27. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (10,458) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I second this. I may be biased due to living in the area, but Sioux Falls is at the junction of two interstates (like several other mentioned cities), but is incredibly heavy into craft beer; breweries, stores, fests, clubs, etc. Sioux Falls has convention facilities, transportation, and hotels to support it. Winter weather risk is no worse outlook than many of the other cities mentioned if you're talking March or early April, and no real risk after that.

dcotom likes this.
  28. mwilbur

mwilbur Poo-Bah (1,797) Dec 2, 2007 Minnesota
    Society

Minneapolis/St. Paul!! Craft runs deep here...and I hear people think we're nice. Surly, Fulton (War&Peace!), Dangerous Man, Summit (besides the Extra Pale Ale, check out their Unchained series), Bad Weather, Barrel Theory, Fair State, Indeed...and outside the Twin Cities are Schell's (check out their Noble Star collection), Bent Paddle (love the Cold Press), Brau Brothers (Moo Joos!), Olvalde (a true farmhouse brewery...the Auroch's Horn aged on rhubarb is phenomenal), Little Thistle (excellent session beers), etc.

See you soon...

29. MinerBob

MinerBob Zealot (561) Dec 15, 2016 Oklahoma

Has to be Tulsa.

30. bluesmoke9

bluesmoke9 Initiate (37) Mar 1, 2010 Nebraska

Omaha is a great event city.

Harrison8 likes this.
  31. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (626) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

I'll let this little video with Megan McKay (Owner of Peace Tree Brewing) talk about how great of a city Des Moines is, not only for the beer community, but just as an awesome all around city to live, work and visit. It's a world class city with a small town feel. Amazing food, culture, nightlife, art and brewing scene here in Des Moines. Make the Beer Advocate fest in Des Moines!

mmarinko22 likes this.
  32. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,085) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Yeah, that's Raleigh, Durham, Cary and all kinds of connecting all of the sprawl. Chapel Hill still retains lots of its historical roots.

33. Blackacolyte26

Blackacolyte26 Initiate (48) Sep 6, 2017 Maryland
    Trader

I'm stationed in Maryland, but god damn it better be in my home state - Milwaukee is the city! Pizza shuttle, Saz's, Schwabenhorst, any kind of fatty food with beer you can imagine

34. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Champion (867) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

WI needs to change their state motto to "Livin' large!" or at least "We are the Dairy State, what did you expect?"

35. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,075) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Agreed. Beer Advocate fests are about the only I'm interested in going to, but I am not going to fly out to Boston for a festival. Every city (aside from Ohio and Denver suggestions) is easily drive-able within 8 hours or less and makes it much more likely that I'll attend with friends. Ohio and Denver would add on another hour to three.

I'd love to see a rotating Midwest beer festival over the coming years. Lots of open ground full of beer lovers.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  36. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Champion (867) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I think Beer Advocate should have a fest in Chicago to rival GABF in size.

37. dnmyrick

dnmyrick Initiate (132) Jan 18, 2013 Minnesota

MINNEAPOLIS!!!!! :slight_smile:

38. dnmyrick

dnmyrick Initiate (132) Jan 18, 2013 Minnesota

I'm not a Surly lover, but we have many, many good breweries in the North Central states of WI, MN, and Michigan!!

39. mblack62

mblack62 Initiate (82) Apr 20, 2018 New Jersey

OMAHA!

40. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Savant (941) Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Trader

when's decision day?

OakvilleKGB likes this.