Issues at Falling Rock Taphouse

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by woodchopper, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodchopper

woodchopper Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2010 Illinois

Well folks

I never thought i would have to do something like this on ba. We got to falling rock at noon for the ba hunaphu plenty of room so we sat down had some food a few beers and waited for the beers to be released at 3pm while we waited we had some cantillion which was listed as 37 dollars on the list showed up with a 44 dollar pice tagso we ordered another one but different also listed as 37 a bottle it showed up with a 69 dollars tag..... Bait and switch? Well 230 pm rolls around and we asked are waitress to take are order and put it in..... Well we got skunked like alot of other people did..... The ones that got the beer were cigar city people and green flash people some that were sitting outside did get it as well. They werent there no where near as long as us. But had a sever that knew how irlt was going to go down!

To cigar city thanks for showing up to the most hyped event at gabf with a lousy 1/6 bbl of ba hunaphu
    And the bringing the mess of a beer called oatmeal raisin cookie.... What a nasty beer that was.

To falling rock... Thanks for the making the mess of cigar city right by refunding my 7 oatmeal raisin cookie mess of

Jamie

2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,793) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Give 'em a review.

The one time I went there, I bought some 60 Minute and thought it was off.:slight_frown:

woodchopper likes this.
  3. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,530) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

How did Falling Rock address the difference in price between the bottles on the menu vs the tab?

4. chicano4craft

chicano4craft Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2009 Colorado

They didn't address the difference. Waitress never came back with an explanation.

5. marine1975

marine1975 Disciple (396) Apr 27, 2009 North Carolina
    Trader

I guess bars are getting like hotels and upcharging when special events come to town??? I would like to see an owner, employee or a loyal patron respond to this thread with some reasoning.

woodchopper likes this.
  6. denver10

That sucks.

That to me is a bigger deal than getting slighted on the Hunaphu.

doobliebop likes this.
  7. rudylaw

rudylaw Devotee (462) Apr 29, 2007 Illinois

At least you had a server. I would venture to say that 80-90% of people waiting at the bar got shutout. It was gone in 7 minutes. Why? Because everyone on the patio got first dibs. I saw no less than 80 tulips going out to the patio as I watched helplessly from 3 feet away. If they only had 1/6bbl, they should have done half pours and not the full glasses they were serving.

We were there at 10:55a and sitting downstairs. Was at the bar 20 minutes before tapping. As we left, it seemed everyone on the patio was enjoying Huna. Still ha a great time but this will sting for a bit.

8. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Poo-Bah (3,504) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Trader

That's bullshit on the Cantillon pricing and I would have refused to pay any more than the $37. Then again I wouldn't purchase bottles from the Falling Rock anyway, they are way overpriced. Also they are known for poor service year round, it's ten times worse during GABF. And while I'm on the subject has anyone noticed their tap list actually sucks for the most part? 90% of it is the same shit day in day out and when they have something interesting it's almost always gone. This is why I started frequenting Rackhouse, Hops and Pie, and Freshcraft instead. Having said that, the 420 wings are great!

9. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,553) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

I was lucky enough to grab a Huna...it was very good. They had tapped and poured some of it prior to announcing it, probably to keep it rolling and prevent back-logging. But I was sitting at the bar with joshclauss and fragilehearted, and lucked out. Saw hiroprot sitting there, too.

I think the oatmeal raisin had some bad juju with it. Some bartenders refused to pour it, but didn't offer a reason and didn't take it off the chalkboard for a long time.

The service at FRTH is iffy at best. Some 'tenders/servers are really good. Others are not. The shirts they wear (like, "You're nothing special and you'll be treated that way") is a slap in the face to most of us. Oh yeah, well, neither are you. Tip? Ya right....
    But I do see their point--to a point. Some patrons are dicks, and demand attention. Others just want what's on the board. And after 3 attempts to no avail, they get annoyed. Still, if they want to do special tappings, they should be prepared (like, know what's being poured, know the prices, and what events are going on later at their place). I planned on staying there most of the day, but kinda got sick of it.

woodchopper likes this.
  10. woodchopper

The waitress did make it right on one bottle..... And we refused the second!

denver10 likes this.
  11. mindswoop

mindswoop Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 Texas

We showed up at 2:30 and it was past capacity with a line to get in. It looked like a disaster in the making from the street. Glad that we ended up at Fresh Craft instead.

hopfacebrew and tacosandbeer like this.
  12. woodchopper

Yes and 10 of us left after getting hosed! Euclid hall had Parabola on tap much better service and way better food. Check them out for sure if your still in town. Nice save for the crappy time at falling rock. After that we hit up rack house and had a whale fest with the locals!!!!! Corey. Aaron. Colby . Andre. You've all shown amazing hospitality thanks for sharing the GREAT WHITE WHALES..... SEE YA SOON

Woodchopper and crew! :-)

Penguin3200 likes this.
  13. jamesm7485

jamesm7485 Initiate (179) Feb 7, 2008 Colorado

You know man I am with you I left there absolutely fuming.... I am really at a complete loss as to how that shit show excuse of a establishment stays in business. I can understand if they only brought us a couple to share among our selves but to shaft all of us was doucebaggery at its finest. There is no reason that it should have turned out like that when a beer like pliney the younger can be released at much smaller establishments around town and every one for the most part leaves happy. Other than Dr bills tastings annually I have reached the point where I am extending the same fuck you to the tap house that they have extended to their "customers aka victims" for so many years now.. It really is a shame but in such a great town with TONS of other options why should I give my money to a pile of pricks that could care less...?

14. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,612) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

When I saw so many posts about people wanting to spend large amounts of time there this week I kinda figured this would come. The FRTH might still have good beers on tap, but the service and the way the place is run tend to be awful at best. I've never been to a place that acted like being open and serving beers was such a drag before.
    The Falling Rock are originators when it comes to the theme of the place, and the (usually) good tap lists. However at this point, there are plenty of other places doing it as well if not better and they actually have customer service. Ever since places like FC, Euclid, the Rackhouse, etc. started showing up I've gone to the FRTH less and less. Just when I think they've turned a corner, they'll do something stupid and I'll stop going again.

15. mindswoop

mindswoop Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 Texas

Sounds like Uncle Bill's will be mismanaged tonight as well if this is any indication. Sounds better to avoid all together.

hopfacebrew and woodchopper like this.
  16. MYJELLOMISFIT

MYJELLOMISFIT Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2007 Colorado

Awe this thread again. Happens every year. Avoid the place if service sucks. I know I know on paper their line-up looks nothing short of amazing. Then the old bait a switch happens and only head nods, winks, and friends get the "goods". Aweful service, terrible over-crowding (based on a white lie tap line-up), and complete lack of respect for customers make for one bad cocktail. I avoid that place like hookers with herpes.

17. gklover1

gklover1 Initiate (108) Oct 18, 2009 Colorado

No offense to the Blacks (the last name of the owners fools...see the capital?), but I have only been to FRTH twice ever, and it has only been a disappointment. Forget even about the INSANE beer prices, but I don't think I have ever had such piss poor service anywhere ever. After doing my man Woodchopper that wrong, I cannot imagine how they would ever earn my business again.

18. woodchopper

The problem is it just wasn't me it was even the awesome locals that were at the table all day too! I had a way better time at rack house great service great beers.

Euclid hall was awesome as well no over crowding nice place food is amazing too Parabola was on tap yesterday 8.25 for a nice size pour too 10 oz or a little more.....

At falling rock it probably would of been 9 or 10 for a shit show and 7 ozs and disappointments

Jamie

19. jamesm7485

As much as it pains me to do this I will more than likley be using my 80+ dollars for the girlfriend and I elsewhere this evening!

20. Hojaminbag

Hojaminbag Poo-Bah (2,066) Dec 20, 2007 Colorado

It seems safe to say that no one employed by the Falling Rock has a future in event planning.

21. jamesm7485

Ha as a part time event planner myself that made me chuckle quite a bit!

hopfacebrew likes this.
  22. flipdog0

flipdog0 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2011 North Carolina

What is uncle bills?

23. dancingbearpub

dancingbearpub Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2007 Texas

I had a great time at Falling Rock. They do a fantastic job of hosting GABF drinkers. The Left Hand Brewery Trailer was a great was a great way spread the crowd out.

24. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Poo-Bah (3,504) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Trader

Baghdad Bob?

5thOhio and poonamibaxter like this.
  25. Mebuzzard

Trader

The crowd was actually 'managed' a bit better with a one-in one-out thing (LH trailer was not operating at the time), but they were still busy. While I think some comments are a bit harsh, others are well deserved. Chris is a nice dude, and that place is a trailblazer. But, I'm actually skipping Dr. Bill's tasting/share tonight b/c of the venue (see: service) It's a tough choice; stay home or go there. I gots me some beer at home :confused:...

hopfacebrew likes this.
  26. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Disciple (309) Sep 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Trader

they have Short's IPA Huma Lupa Licious on tap at the Ale House ;-) (not on the menu, but on tap, along with other beers not on the menu)

27. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (208) May 31, 2011 Colorado

Are you guys talking about the Crabtree cookie beer? I've been seeing a barrel-aged version of it around lately. Personally, I've got a rule: I don't drink cookie beers, or any shit like that. I'm glad I've passed on that stuff. Stephanie can hike her skirt up and bend over all she wants, but I'm passing.

doobliebop and woodchopper like this.
  28. woodchopper

No it was cigar city oatmeal raisin cookie...... And even the a few bartenders said it had issues.
    I will not be attending the shit show at falling rock ever again bad experience to say the least and i even brought other to the attention of a cigar city employee he said he's a key chain as a consolation prize. Sorry.

29. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,552) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

Bad experiences here too.

Even on a "good" visit the restrooms were atrocious. One guy peed in the sink because it was so dirty. I closed out and spent the rest of the night at FreshCraft.

woodchopper and tacosandbeer like this.
  30. denver10

The place is such a madhouse during GABF week issues are bound to pop up with service, getting the highly sought after beers, etc. Its certainly not cool that people who came hours earlier waiting for this particular beer would get slighted, I'd be boycotting the place for that as well, but my experience is these types of issues are not the norm there. At the least, I personally haven't encountered these kind of issues outside of GABF week. At least they fixed the pricing issue with the bottles.

In general, I find their servers do a good job. I always make sure I sit at a booth or table so I get the servers instead of the bartenders, who are always horrible no matter how busy or slow it might be. As for their everyday beer selection, I agree with the comments made here already. I started hitting up Freshcraft more frequently because they are great with keeping their taplist available online so I could always know what to expect when I went there, whereas Falling Rock started to feel like a gamble as of late.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  31. CK21

CK21 Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2011 Colorado

32. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Disciple (309) Sep 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Trader

how do you figure that makes up for shitty service? wink wink

arniepnminne likes this.
  33. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2011 Colorado

MYJELLOMISFIT likes this.
  34. Mebuzzard

Trader

This sentence sums up the problem: "Please don't get upset if the beer you wanted has run out."
    Ehhh, the bartenders are the ones who get super pissed and angry at customers who order beers that are on the chalk-board, but are actually out.
    This is what really grinds my gears. The total obliviousness of the problem (or most of the problem)

hopfacebrew likes this.
  35. gklover1

gklover1 Initiate (108) Oct 18, 2009 Colorado

The ONLY times I have visited were non-GABF. The service is garbage. I'm done.

As far as special beers, for non-GABF, pals get dibs. We all know that. But for a HIGHLY publicized release like this was, it is inexcusable that folks there hours early, and even folks RIGHT AT THE BAR got none with full pours going to God knows who. Credit to MordorMongo, but that was ROYAL DICK MOVE.

ablackshear and bld81 like this.
  36. hiroprot

hiroprot Disciple (362) Feb 6, 2011 Colorado
    Society

I was lucky enough to get some Hunahpu's, since 2 of my buddies had snagged seats at the bar at 10:30am. That being said, hanging out at the bar with them was almost painful, since we had a huge swell of people right behind us trying to order beers and close their taps at all times. I tried to help some of them get their orders in (including a guy from Lost Abbey, who kindly bought me a beer...I helped him carry his beers out to the patio), but I saw plenty of people who go shafted. One guy waited for over 30 minutes to close out his tap, and many who stood waiting for Hunahpu's for 20+ minutes got nothing.

I think that FR should remove all the bar stools for events like this and not let people sit at the bar, to keep it clear for people trying to order stuff. And it would also be helpful to have a few more bartenders. It's interesting that they did tickets for the PtY release, but don't do tickets for this.

37. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,340) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I fucking love this guy. Seriously.

38. Mebuzzard

Trader

I would say for FRTH and other places, use cash as you go. Cards are just too much of a pain.
    Remove stools. I like

39. DJButters

DJButters Aspirant (260) Jun 23, 2010 California
    Trader

Left after one beer and went to 1UP next door. great idea that planted me back in my youth

40. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Disciple (352) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

I prefer Freshcraft, Prost, Hop & Pie, Star Bar, Renegade, Wynkoop and Great Divide over Falling Rock but still go on occassion. Don't really enjoy it during GABF.

tacosandbeer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.