Italian Wedding Soup - Pairing

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nickdank, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickdank

nickdank Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2014 New Jersey

Style thoughts? Example thoughts?

I've been on a soup kick lately. I'm finding it hard to find beer pairing help in this vein of food.

2. jbck109

jbck109 Initiate (0) May 30, 2010 Michigan

Maybe something light bodied and slightly tart,Gose? Not sure, but I think thats where I would go.

3. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,714) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

umm... what's in this? Are you talking minestrone? I am googling and seeing something more vegetable and meat oriented with a lighter broth... basically it looks like some chicken soup and veg. garlic, herbs etc...

I can honestly say I've never had this...

going with that I'd go with a Kolsch as a safe bet, white wine sensing aromatics and light body a Kolsch is your friend.

Plus I love Kolsch.

4. nickdank

It's a soup with greens (I think usually escarole or spinach) with small meatballs (pork?). Usually some sort of pasta, sometimes white beans. I got it from Whole Foods this time, they make it with cheese filled tortellini. I like to grate in some fresh pecorino. Adds a bit of salt and tang to an otherwise relatively rich brothy bowl of noms.

5. nickdank

Hmmm...I've never had gose. nor do I think I've seen it in my lbs.. Suggestion on a specific brand to look for. (Distribution not withstanding)

6. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,714) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Kolsch I would still give a go, or you could use a light bodied Flanders Red Ale.

7. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

I have given up on trying to pair beer or even wine with soup it's a losing battle and waste of good beer and wine. I've tried Dragons Milk One of my favorite beers soup changed the texture and not ina good way, Edmund Fitz, Marshall Zhukov, Gulden Draak (poured so it loses almost all of it's carbonation) I love this beer but the soup ruined it, Sculpin, thought about Heady but couldn't bring myself to do it. Along with many wines it ruined.

I think most soups have too much liquid. My advice is try a soup like conch or clam chowder since their more creamy. I can't see your standard soup making a good pairing partner.

8. nickdank

Idk man...those are all pretty intense beers. Maybe that's your problem. I refuse to believe there's no good to pair soup.

9. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

In general those are the main styles of beers I like to drink. Good luck to you let us know if you do find one that works well. Not sure if there's any salty beers (and not sure I'd want to drink one if there are) but since soup tends to be salty maybe that would work.

10. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,904) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

The answer you are looking for is belgian table beer. Its in the saison family and its considered a much lighter saison. Normally clocking in around 3.5 to 5.5 abv. Light yet flavorful. Holds up well to most foods. I think it would work well with many different soups and some crusty bread.

Here are some of my favorite table beers:

Saison Dupont Avril-http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/637/42772/?ba=4DAloveofSTOUT
    Upright Four-http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/19866/49537/?ba=4DAloveofSTOUT
    Mystic Table beer-http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24803/94594/?ba=4DAloveofSTOUT
    Jester King La Petite Prince-http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24018/75930/?ba=4DAloveofSTOUT

11. nickdank

That sounds like it makes a lot of sense as a pairing. I need to force myself to like saisons, now lol

12. 4DAloveofSTOUT

Society Trader

Its really easy to like those beers. Super drinkable, crisp and refreshing beer. That is flavorful annd complex without being overbearing. Of the 4 table beers that I mentioned Avril will be the easiest to get for you in New Jersey, but they are all shelf beers. I dont think that you will have to force yourself to like any of those table beers. To be completely honest.

13. nickdank

No no, I mean I generally dislike saisons. At least the saisons I've had. Maybe the table beer will be different? But I've had Saison DuPont and Avec Les Bons Voeux among a few others. I think I'm just generally not a fan of "Belgian" yeasty flavors, or something - I'm also not a big fan of wits or tripels.

14. 4DAloveofSTOUT

Society Trader

Sure, I see. I actually prefer Avril a little bit more over the Dupont Saison. And the Upright Four is alot closer to being a wheat beer with a hint of lemon tartness without much yeast & fruitiness. The Mystic is getting closer to the Saison end of the spectrum of the 4 beers that I listed. The JK Petite prince is kind of its own thing all together, perhaps a mix of berlinner weisse and table beer.

15. nickdank

Thanks! Super helpful, actually. I hope I can find them all and give them a try.

16. 4DAloveofSTOUT

Society Trader

Cool, you are welcome! If you can't find them on the shelf, they will be extremely easy to trade for with shelf beer @ a $4$ rate!

17. jbck109

jbck109 Initiate (0) May 30, 2010 Michigan

There are not to many readily available,but Leipziger Gose is usually pretty easy to find, It also has a slight salty quality that may be a good thing for this pairing. I also agree that Avril could be a good option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.