Ithaca Beer Co. Releases Next in Flower Power Variant Series

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,513) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Flower Power with Citra Hops Releases on May 1

Ithaca, NY – March 11, 2020 – Ithaca Beer Company will release its next Flower Power variant on May 1. Flower Power with Citra® Hops follows the successful 2019 release of Flower Power with Galaxy Hops as well as a number of small-batch and cask conditioned Flower Power variants served in the Ithaca Beer Co. Taproom.

This special Flower Power variant celebrates the Citra hop. First developed in 2007 in Yakima, WA, Citra remains highly sought after for its unique flavor characteristics and is one of the most coveted aroma hops available. Known for its lush tropical fruit flavors like peach, passionfruit, guava, lychee, grapefruit, lime and gooseberry, Citra lends itself well to this release. Flower Power’s floral, punchy pineapple and citrus profile, as well as clover honey sweetness are complemented by Citra’s distinct qualities. To accentuate the Citra profile, it was also included in the Whirlpool as well as well as two dry hop additions.

Ithaca Beer will release several more limited small batch Flower Power variants in 2020 including one with Mosaic hops and one with natural pineapple. The limited single Flower Power variants are available in 16 oz. 4-pack cans and draft.

Flower Power with Galaxy Hops

HOPS: Citra® , Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Ahtanum

DRY HOPS: Citra®, Chinook, Simcoe, Amarillo

MALTS: 2-Row Pale, Honey

ABV: 7.2%.

[​IMG]

The Spirit of the Finger Lakes, Ithaca Beer Co. was founded in 1998 by Dan Mitchell who continues to independently own and operate the company. Located in Ithaca, NY, the brewery features a 50-barrel brewhouse with a 5-barrel pilot system that produces numerous small batches for its Taproom as well as for special wholesale occasions. Ithaca Beer currently brews nearly 20,000 barrels of beer annually and distributes to 56 wholesalers in 16 states including New York, Pennsylvania, New England, as far west as Ohio and as far south as North Carolina.

mikeinportc and seakayak like this.
  2. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (780) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I remember when getting flower power was a “holy shit” moment. I would drop any purchase I was going to make and grab that fresh case of FP. So long ago. I stopped buying FP after a few different times it was just off. Looking at notes I have not had FP in over 5 years and it was a year before that one.

I had no idea they were doing variant offers. If I see a can I might venture back in.

Enjoy

3. hoagzzz

hoagzzz Aspirant (201) Feb 28, 2014 Pennsylvania

All due respect this shit sucks. And I mean the base flower power. Had one about a year ago and could not finish it. Super dry and not pleasing to the palette. Back in the day it was great.

4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,394) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I was a HUGE fan of Flower Power when Jeff O'Neil was brewing the beer. Once he left this beer was never the same. I tried many times since Jeff left but every time the beer was 'off'.

It is quite a shame what happened to Flower Power.:slight_frown:

Non-cheers to the 'new' Flower Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nc41, SABERG, cavedave and 1 other person like this.
  5. micada

micada Disciple (334) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Trader

That used to be their strongest offering, IMHO. At least they’re trying to give it a fresh start.

6. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,970) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, ain't that somethin'? I, too, used to routinely pick up a case whenever I heard or knew a shipment was in and it was usually only around 2 weeks or under from bottling date (I can still picture a pallet of it being wheeled onto the floor at a Joe Canal's) and now - yeah, I might pick up a single if I see it but I haven't seen any fresh FP in ----- years.

7. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,359) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I’d settle for Flower Power back when it was really still Flower Power. That was one great beer back in the day, then the head brewer left as I remember it.

8. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (437) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I see alot of their new beers fresh around here, so I may pick up a 4 pack if it's around $10.