It's official: Maui Brewing to acquire Modern Times

Discussion in 'US - West' started by grantcty, Jul 28, 2022.

1. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (148) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

This just came across my FB news feed, courtesy of All About Beer:
    https://allaboutbeer.com/maui-brewing-acquires-modern-times-beer/

mactrail, PMR, ChicagoJ and 7 others like this.
  2. SDReaper

SDReaper Crusader (712) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Sale now confirmed to Maui:
    https://www.sandiegobeer.news/blog/beer-news/mauibrewingtoacquiremoderntimes

3. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Aspirant (222) Jun 23, 2013 California

I’m so happy to hear this!!!

theconductor and ChicagoJ like this.
  4. Space_Cowboy85

Space_Cowboy85 Initiate (67) Dec 24, 2018 Texas
    Trader

Bummer, I was rooting for Brewery X to acquire them. But Maui ain’t a bad option either.

5. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,365) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Great. Hope the brand and recipes live on.

Based on the article, not sure if Maui/Garrett is grown up enough to handle changing the toxic work place culture at Modern Times if Maui is soft enough to get "emotional whiplash" doing this deal....

6. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,922) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Wasn't Brewery X the first one to drop out? After they quit, there was no way they were gonna get it.

Brent212 likes this.
  7. jwacky

jwacky Initiate (89) Apr 13, 2017 California

Well, OK then. I guess MT lives to see another day? I have no idea what any of this actually means big picture.

mactrail likes this.
  8. SDReaper

SDReaper Crusader (712) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

I'm not so sure you read that statement correctly.

"The delays were painful for all; however, it was important that we waited until we had made concrete decisions to avoid any further emotional whiplash for our collective teams."

Sounds more like they didn't want to jump the gun similar to how Brewery-X employees did and preferred to make sure that the teams would have some solid confirmed information instead of having the rug pulled out from under them again and again and again.

9. J-loco

J-loco Aspirant (210) Jan 23, 2015 California
    Trader

For realsies?

10. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,109) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Seems like a good fit. It first occurred to me when thinking about Stone and Sapporo, but it could be a real saving grace for brands like MT to be acquired by companies that have a large interest in the brewing capacity alone. If MBC can male profitable use of the existing brewing capacity they may be more likely to see the value of the MT brand in smaller batch beers that don't need to have mass appeal to justify their existence.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  11. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

Either way, I hope the delicate flowers don't get emotional whiplash again.

12. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (163) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

predictable

13. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (744) Mar 28, 2009 California

Last time I was on Maui I found really fresh Big Swell IPA and it was the best I’ve ever had of that beer. If this means big swell brewed on the mainland and I can find it fresh I am in for that.

now if I could replicate this view here in CA.

[​IMG]

14. moodenba

moodenba Defender (601) Feb 2, 2015 New York

That exact view probably isn't available in CA. But if you couldn't come REALLY close, you aren't trying. Where are you located, Ridgecrest? I have relatives living on the CA coast who have a view from their living room that is very similar (they tend toward wine, though).

skelliott and mactrail like this.
  15. GetMeAnIPA

I live in Orange County about 15 min from the beach. There are definitely some restaurants and hotels with amazing views but just not the same as Hawaii. And since I do go to the beach a lot I don’t spend the money for a view.

16. PatKorn

PatKorn Aspirant (200) Aug 30, 2007 Oregon

Not sure if the dude who founded and has run the place ever since is 'grown up' enough? Thats what you get from that article? GTFO. Pretty sure Garrett is a grown ass man.

17. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (163) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

but... but... snowflakes

18. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Crusader (730) Mar 19, 2012 California

I'm probably in the minority here in that I'm more interested in the Maui brand than Modern Times. So my interest is more on how they leverage the facility to provide fresher Maui Beer to the West Coast. Their Imperial Porter and variations, POG, and Coconut Hiwa are quality beers among other beers. One of my top three beers last year was their Kupa Barrel One (Strong Ale).

That being said, I spend at least 2 months of the year in the islands and get my fair share of Maui beers. I will be walking over to their Kailua Taproom for happy hour tomorrow.

Hmm. May be some of the Modern Times wales recipes will show up in similar beers for Maui. Wish them luck and I will be cheering for them. Aloha!

derkruk, ChicagoJ and Brent212 like this.
  19. GetMeAnIPA

I am with you.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  20. Space_Cowboy85

Space_Cowboy85 Initiate (67) Dec 24, 2018 Texas
    Trader

Yes, I understand that. I’m bummed that they backed out.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  21. JimN8916

JimN8916 Initiate (124) Jan 31, 2014 California
    Trader

I guess you could say this is .....X-cellent?

22. backwash

backwash Initiate (29) May 26, 2021

They should immediately announce OG recipe Blazing World is back on the year round.

23. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (886) Dec 3, 2014 California

Forget that. I just want a promise that the caviar will be fully scraped in every vanilla bean.

24. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

[​IMG]

25. GetMeAnIPA

I sent a text to a group thread about the sale and I was surprised to hear that the overall reaction was modern times has a few solid beers but ultimately the group could kinda care less. I will say the group are casual craft beer drinkers. A few guys drink a lot of local stuff and some guys still buy stone. None are beer traders or on beer advocate. I only bring this up because it seems like a few years ago the same group would have a much more positive reaction to MT. Now it’s just meh.

26. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (6,171) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

JFC.
    Your lack of empathy for people whose recent employment instability speaks more about your emotional intelligence than it does about the emotional fragility of these employees.

27. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

I think it speaks more for a disdain of bullshit rhetoric, political double speak and loaded language. At least Maui didn’t say “after the Holocaust of emotions we’ve experienced…”

28. annakarina

annakarina Aspirant (221) Jul 29, 2016 California

29. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Crusader (708) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

Sounds like the last League tasting I ever attended. After 20mins of listening to that, I realized I'm not nearly as big a...fan...as some of these folks and I just started buying based off Xul's and others' notes. :rolling_eyes:

ChicagoJ and fegelFatso like this.
  30. PatKorn

PatKorn Aspirant (200) Aug 30, 2007 Oregon

Careful, you might be called a delicate flower...

31. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,253) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

That kind of projecting says more about you than Maui, Modern Times, or anyone else.

32. ISaidDankNotDrank

ISaidDankNotDrank Initiate (18) Oct 23, 2016 California

I also think Maui Brewing is underappreciated, last time I was in Oahu I had beers from several places including Lanakai and Beer Lab and I thought the best beer I had was one of the limited edition beers at the Maui taproom in Waikiki - can't say I'm a big fan of their core beers but knowing they are able to make quality beer gives me confidence Modern Times can do well under the new ownership

33. piggy_rulz

piggy_rulz Initiate (30) Dec 4, 2019 Missouri

Yes to Kupa! Top beer from our Feb trip.

Don’t forget about Mosaic Mo’Betta. Piggy digs.

[​IMG]

34. mactrail

mactrail Poo-Bah (12,136) Mar 24, 2009 Washington
    Moderator Society Trader

And Booming Rollers! with all the intergalactic certified lunatic recipes that MT has blasted off over the years, is there room for one delicious and understated reverence for Citra and Motueka?

35. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,109) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

That's a cool glass, is it silicon or glass?

It's nice to hear all the love for Mauis beer. I have never tried anything from them and went to get some of their beer that I thought I had seen at a store. Turns out it's a brewery called Cascade Lakes, so I still haven't had anything. How are they typically priced? And are they mostly 12x6 packaging?

fegelFatso likes this.
  36. riko

riko Initiate (119) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

Booming Rollers has been available (and tasty) at Lomaland for a couple weeks and should be out in cans very soon if it isn't already.

37. piggy_rulz

piggy_rulz Initiate (30) Dec 4, 2019 Missouri

Silipint

[​IMG]

38. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Initiate (98) Mar 6, 2014 California

They should also take into consideration the price point for the majority of their barrel aged selections; a set price of 34$ a bottle is fucking ridiculous and has been. Shit, if im paying that much each time then im expecting quality not bullshit. exception to this rule is fremont thus far.

Sure fremont isn't the epitome of top tier stouts but at least they do offer quality product when it comes to stouts. that's just me of course and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  39. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Initiate (98) Mar 6, 2014 California

How so? more like Maui times to me.

40. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Crusader (730) Mar 19, 2012 California

They tend to be six packs (12oz) and are usually in the $11-14 range depending on the beer. The Kailua Safeway has 6-8 different styles at least. My wife tends to have either a six pack of Bikini Blonde or Coconut Hiwa in our fridge.

For their non-standard stuff, they still do 750ML bottles which I'm happy about. Looking to pick up a few this weekend when I visit their taproom.