It's Official: New England India Pale Ale Is a Style

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, May 3, 2017.

1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Founders (17,668) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

2. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (226) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Its a style now? - but can we really say its beer?
    JOKING! everyone calm down please :astonished:

3. Jerk_Store

Jerk_Store Disciple (336) Feb 13, 2015 Quebec (Canada)
    Trader

No problem here. Nobody took exception with West Coast IPA's but for some reason NEIPA has been seen as controversial to some.

4. stevehagy

stevehagy Disciple (370) Apr 13, 2007 New York

Will the style be added to the Beeradvocate website?

5. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,737) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

I would rather see Session IPA instead, those brews should not be intermingled with IPAs.

Cheers!

bark, Dave1999, kwakwhore and 10 others like this.
  6. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Zealot (506) Dec 19, 2006 California

I think that NEIPA should absolutely be listed as a style on BA. West Coast IPAs have specific characteristics, and so do NEIPAs. Makes sense to me.

7. Todd

Todd Founder (5,598) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

Yes. Eventually we'll add it as lumping NEIPA into American IPA/DIPA isn't fair to that well-established style.

8. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Champion (816) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Sweet!

Now I don't have to put "New England-style" in quotations anymore.

9. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (207) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

West Coast IPA is not listed as a separate style.

10. KevSal

KevSal Savant (973) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

i was just saying writing the same thing. but i guess they say there's a bigger difference between hazy ipas to ipas than west coast ipas to ipas?

either way i love the 16oz can relation too.
    i can't wait to say "that's not a neipa, it's not in a 16oz can!!"

papposilenus and BWood like this.
  11. JAStheAce

JAStheAce Initiate (170) Apr 25, 2009 Florida
    Trader

They should be called Juice Pale Ales. The JPA should be a new category.

IPA = bitter
    JPA = juicy

12. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (207) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

It will be interesting to see what beers actually get classified into the style. Will some brewers, just to cash in on the craze, label and package beer as NEIPA w/o the beer exhibiting any of the characteristics?

If so, theoretically, reviews would suffer. However, if a beer is labeled an NEIPA and doesn't hit on the characteristics, but is otherwise an enjoyable standard IPA, will the reviews reflect that? I guess that just gets to the already existing issue of rating to style or enjoyment.

A local brewery recently released a canned beer that was supposed to be a NEIPA...it absolutely sucked (objectively!), as either a NEIPA or any kind of American IPA. It exhibited "0" NEIPA characteristics (thin and minimal haze) and the "juicy" hops were a bad combination of astringent and rotten fruit. It just goes to show that crap is crap no matter how it is labeled.

LuskusDelph, ikapaMK, 3SH33TS and 5 others like this.
  13. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,443) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

I've long held that they aren't IPAs at all, and thus deserve their own classification. I suggest American Orange Ales.

14. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Maybe they should put " zero bittering units" on the can. How does one call it an ipa/double ipa with little to no bittering? Just not a fan I guess. I need more bitter in my life I think. Great thing Boston is chock full of great choices, yum.

LuskusDelph and Jaycase like this.
  15. JayORear

JayORear Savant (999) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Premium Trader

Yes, I think Trillium gets this just right (most of the time) . . . nice combo of hazy/juicy with a good amount of bittering. Swish, too.

Lorianneb, jdell15, Narkee and 9 others like this.
  16. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,602) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I predict this thread will be chock full of stupidity. It's already warming up.

17. Biggtriksta

Biggtriksta Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2013 New York

This seems fitting. I can agree with others saying that they arguably aren't even IPAs because there's little to no bitterness in them. They really are just hazy, juicy ales. That said, it does depend on the brewery making them. I've certainly had some that tasted more like a hazy IPA/DIPA than fruit juice. I've also had my fair share that taste like straight up juice. I definitely prefer those with bitterness.

YamBag likes this.
  18. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (312) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

Weird. Heard somewhere milkshake beers were not a trend and 100% unacceptable.

19. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,416) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Ok, so the nebulous New England style is its own style apart from classic IPAs. However, there are NE styled DIPAs, IPAs, even pale ales - so would there be a style category for each NE DIPA, NE IPA and NE APA?

nc41, Jaycase, yossle and 4 others like this.
  20. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,536) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I think you hit on what would happen if breweries start producing faux NE IPAs to try and generate cash flow. Particularly, if those beers aren't good, or don't deliver that easy-to-drink, low-bitterness quality that is one of the defining factors of a NE IPA. It's a style that draws in folks who want little bitterness in their beer, so a harsh IPA (what most people I talk to consider to be a "standard IPA" and the reason they don't buy IPAs) would not be well received.

I think the real value in making it an official style is to educate others. Personally, I've had to explain the make up of a NE IPA to just about everyone I've met outside of Beer Advocate or niche craft bars. There really isn't much knowledge about it here in the Midwest.

On the other hand, now that it's an official style, maybe some of the local breweries will finally start making them (there's only one produced in my area that I'm aware of, and it's an annual beer, and tap only).

This does make me curious how the other NE variations will be handled. It's not really fair to compare Ninja vs. Unicorn with Melcher Street with Hoppy Meal.

FBarber likes this.
  21. ArmOnFire

ArmOnFire Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2007 New Hampshire

I don't think they should be called a IPA, there should be a new category because the flavor profile is so different.

I vote for Tropical Pale Ale.

EricinSA, dennis3951 and mudbug like this.
  22. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,172) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Just my opinion, but I'd prefer to see a "sub-style" have at least a couple decades of history behind it before getting its own official category here and in other forums. We weathered the West Coast IPA trend without it graduating to its own official category, and I think the haze craze can fit just fine within "American IPAs" for now, too.

23. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,298) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

I can understand. The mouthfeel is different, the look is specifically different, the juice flavors are different. There's enough uniqueness to warrant a style.

24. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,242) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Premium Trader

I personally can't accept the style any more than I accept "triple ipa." Either way I don't care . . . But how did NEIPA get in before session ipa ?
    That's like inducting Arron before Ruth.

25. Todd

Staff

"Session IPA" is a marketing term, not a style. And it's not a style because session beer isn't a style.

26. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,415) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I can't say that it isn't warranted, or I really disagree necessarily, but it also seems like a can of worms. I mean, are beers like Puff and Unfiltered Enjoy By going to potentially fall under this style to some people? Obviously the newer unfiltered recipes seem to be playing off of/trying to capitalize on some of that "haze craze". One that I can think of right away that leans even more that direction is Bell's Hop Grandslam:
    [​IMG]
    It very much looks the part, is super juicy/fruity, but has a substantial bitterness.
    I would guess that the style will be geared more toward the low bitterness levels, extreme juiciness, and the biting yeast alcohol combo that sometimes stings the nostrils and back of the throat rather than heavily appearance weighted.

I just think that with more and more breweries, especially west coast, making this style (guess I don't have to use " " anymore:grinning:) you will see more gray area beers.

I would rather see a Barrel Aged style myself to move some of the great beers in traditional styles back to the top of their respective categories.

#26 WesMantooth, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
    hopfenunmaltz and Sound_Explorer like this.
  27. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,228) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

With all due respect, BA does not include other ipa styles (read: black ipa, red ipa, white ipa, pacific northwest ipa) as separate styles. Why the sudden change of heart with NEIPA? BJCP recognizes them. BJCP also acknowledges NEIPA as a style as well. I agree this should be its own style, I am just curious why other ipas do not have their own style designation on BA.

28. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,242) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Premium Trader

Gotcha . . . All I'm saying is it seems inconsistent considering all the other ipa styles. Kinda like what SFACRKight is talking about.

jakecattleco and SFACRKnight like this.
  29. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (648) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I had one of these super hazy IPA from Tired Hands and was not too impressed. I drank it as it was not bad but it was a tough pint to finish

Enjoy

30. CannedWaggoneer

CannedWaggoneer Initiate (84) May 1, 2017 Ohio

Official according to BeerAdvocate. This website has the final word in all things beer; so NEIPA it is, like it or not.

31. CannedWaggoneer

CannedWaggoneer Initiate (84) May 1, 2017 Ohio

Just because Session IPA has a word in its name that might be considered to some a marketing term doesn't mean Session IPAs are the same as standard IPA. The listing on BA for American IPA states the ABV range should be around 5.5-7.5%, so that right there cuts out most of the popular Session IPAs. The use case between Session IPA and all other types of IPA differentiate them substantially.

Further, NEIPA is a style surrounded with marketing and buzz words to an extent we have never seen in American craft brewing. So to admonish and dismiss Session IPA on that regard, yet embrace NEIPA for it is to overlook you're own argument.

I realize you don't want your site to have 20 different sub-sub-styles for everyone's personal favorite style of hoppy beer, but some exemptions are being made where other, larger ones, are being overlooked.

Tdizzle and ShawnoftheD3ad like this.
  32. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,228) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Session ipa fits the style description of american pale ale. Session ipa is just a gimmicky way to make a plain ass pale ale hip again.

33. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,040) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

I'm closing in on bagging all of the current 104 styles on BA, only 7 left to go. If I get to 104 and then it later goes to 105, do I have to give the steak knives back? :wink:

Or is there a good nationally available beer that I could have now and then later it will likely be categorized as a New England IPA?

connecticutpoet, Leebo and TrojanRB like this.
  34. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,806) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Premium Trader

I'd agree if you weren't making it a potential sub-style. I also feel the approach of the Juicy Pale Ale, JPA, to be more appropriate than a sub-style of the IPA/DIPA. And then I'm left wondering does their become a DIPA version of the NE style, the DNEIPA/INEIPA? If the style is unique enough, then I'd advocate for making it stand on its own in the JPA approach.

If the answer is yes, than I support the JPA approach.

Agreed and noted above.

Depends on where you're at, but one can argue the "NE-IPA" is also being used as a marketing term as well. I've seen it used on beers that were not hazy, nor juicy, nor minimal bitterness, nor soft mouthfeel. YMMV

35. Todd

Staff

I love this thread.

36. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,440) Sep 15, 2014 New York

For the most part, I support this decision, as I think New England style IPAs are different enough to warrant enough some special recognition of their own. The tricky part will be deciding when an IPA is "New England enough" to be categorized as such. At what level is an IPA hazy/juicy/creamy enough to be considered New England? There's a lot of more nitpicking to be done, but overall, I think this was the right decision.

37. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (431) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

Black IPA does have its own category on here (listed as "American Black Ale"), and I see a lot of the White IPAs classified in the "Belgian IPA" style. So half of the IPA-family styles you mentioned actually are included as separate styles.

38. KevSal

KevSal Savant (973) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

i had a feeling it was going to open a can of worms haha, well done

connecticutpoet, LuskusDelph and Todd like this.
  39. Todd

Staff

And this is Why We Beer Smack.

40. souvenirs

souvenirs Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

Looking forward to seeing the change on the site once it rolls out! Thanks.