Jackie O's (2018)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by zbodnar1, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,587) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Maybe some Derivation on draft as well? :wink: For science...? :stuck_out_tongue:

Tombfyre, Zonian1, Sinzanasti and 2 others like this.
  2. Tifore

Tifore Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2010 Ohio

That's because it's got that Side Project name / hype train attached to it.

chrismattlin, Sinzanasti and Ohiou84 like this.
  3. sbh50

sbh50 Initiate (82) Feb 6, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

BA Oro was 550 cases I think with a 12 per person limit and that lasted for a couple weeks, even with a bottle release the same weekend. If I'm wrong on that count, please correct me. It will be interesting to see how long this lasts. I'm just hoping to get a taste. Anything else is gravy.

Sinzanasti likes this.
  4. HomelessDrew

HomelessDrew Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2010 Ohio

No one is sleeping on this release, I know folks planning to drive from St Louis and Chicago for this. I wouldn't wait until the weekend if I didn't want to get shut out. Also just so all of you out of towners know there's construction on Stimson so they're releasing this down at their farm in Shade. Don't even bother trying to get to the taproom or uptown, too much construction. :wink:

Ohiou84 likes this.
  5. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Meyvn (1,273) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'm assuming appervation will see no distro and the only avenue for it will be release day or a day or 2 after?

6. HomelessDrew

HomelessDrew Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2010 Ohio

@beace Will this be run just through the taproom as usual or lining up inside in the back like January? I also thought after the January release having bottle sales in the extended part of the taproom was great, made getting in the door and getting bottles or draft a lot easier. Or could do Side Project style sales from the loading door, should be nice enough out.

Tifore likes this.
  7. beace

beace Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2007 California

We will be in full production mode so going through the brewery is not an option. We will do our best to handle the crowd in a controlled, efficient, and calm manner.

HomelessDrew, dtx00, JArt and 5 others like this.
  8. PJ_

PJ_ Initiate (152) Nov 13, 2014 Massachusetts

Loving Chiron's Flame right now. This is the new Lanthrone / Noble Sorrel. Amazing side release beers that people slept on it for not being stouts.

djtothemoney, dtx00, JohnnyMc and 4 others like this.
  9. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

I'm always surprised at the people that skip Jackie O's barrel-aged beers that aren't Stouts! EVERYTHING they barrel age (minus Rum BA Oil, but let's not talk about that) is awesome. Noble Sorrel is still an all-time favorite!

chrismattlin and Ohiou84 like this.
  10. Runofthedill

Runofthedill Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 Ohio

planning my trip down already.

11. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 Ohio

I used to drink a lot of Belgian styles and don't as much anymore, but Skipping Stone is outstanding.

ddedhed and Ohiou84 like this.
  12. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Savant (958) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I am a big fan of belgian styles and especially trappists, but I have not been on board with a lot of the BA belgians, and so I ended up avoiding skipping stones due to the price. I hate dropping $12+ on a beer that will literally be hit or miss. I like JO, but I hate the price tag :slight_frown::slight_frown::slight_frown::flushed::flushed::flushed:

13. BuckeyeBeerhead

BuckeyeBeerhead Initiate (143) Jun 18, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

If you love belgians, this one is worth dropping the money on. Even if you're on the fence about BA. Super sleeper beer.

14. oldmetalguy

oldmetalguy Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2015 Pennsylvania

is the Stimson exit coming from 50 West what's under construction? Should one get off on State street and come in that way?

15. beace

Yes, there will be a post in the coming days concerning road closures and parking.
    es

16. lftwng4

lftwng4 Initiate (161) Oct 12, 2007 Ohio

So, my wife and I are planning to make the 3.5 hour drive down to Athens next Thursday, to pick up a couple of those Appervations, then haul ass to Columbus to see the Windhand/Satan's Satyrs show at the Ace of Cups. My question is how is Jackie O's involved in that show? The flyer states "Jackie O's Brewery and Starwood Presents...." What are you guys specifically doing to present that show? Special beers on tap? Free admission if wearing Jackie O's shirt? Just curious, doesn't matter really. My wife was very much opposed to going to see that band, until she saw the release of Appervation, then she completely changed her attitude. I'm stoked, she's gonna hate it.

17. Beer_Economicus

Trader

*Looks for the ROTFLMFAO emoji*

18. sbh50

sbh50 Initiate (82) Feb 6, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

I can't say for certain, but I doubt there would be distro. It just depends how long it lasts at the brewery. Vanilla maple was the quickest at barely 3 days (might as well be 2) and about 250 cases. Add the collaboration aspect and raised limits to 12 and it might be gone within same amount of time. The raised cost might help it stick around a bit longer. I don't know. Take it for what it's worth. Good luck!

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  19. beace

There will be a selection Jackie O's on draft, no special beers just for the show. We like to cross promote/"sponsor" stoner metal shows.

20. Fordcoyote15

Trader

I work until 330 on release day and it's a 3 hour drive after that. But from the sounds of it there's very, very little chance of it selling out the first day or two, right?

21. pest

pest Disciple (372) Sep 2, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Based on past releases you'd be safe, throwing the side project wild card into the mix this time who knows.

beace likes this.
  22. CannedWaggoneer

CannedWaggoneer Initiate (99) May 1, 2017 Ohio

My wife and I are thinking of driving in from Saskatchewan. My question is how many people are planning on buying 12 bottles? Is Jackie O's open to breastfeeding our dogs (we're bringing 8 of them)? Will these bottles last until 3:52 on Friday? Is there anything special available to people from another country?

I just wanna make sure we have a good time and all my trade partners are happy.

23. Tifore

Tifore Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2010 Ohio

beace and CannedWaggoneer like this.
  24. lftwng4

lftwng4 Initiate (161) Oct 12, 2007 Ohio

Thanks for the info, Brad.

25. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Disciple (343) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

My absolute favorite posts ever are when people ask (either on here or FB), "Will this last until (insert day)?" Jackie O's makes amazing beer, but to my knowledge, they cannot predict the future.

26. Treebute

Treebute Initiate (143) Jul 13, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

Marty we have to go back. It's your parents. They got to Jackie O's at 3 p.m. and all the bottles were gone.

fiver29, marcus23, Zonian1 and 8 others like this.
  27. CbusBrews13

CbusBrews13 Initiate (52) Apr 6, 2017 Ohio

And even easier, if you really, really needed to know, you could just call the taproom, lol.

RyanMcFly1985 likes this.
  28. RyanMcFly1985

Trader

Nailed it

Bretts545 likes this.
  29. Beer_Economicus

Trader

In my experience, breweries tend to say "we really don't know" when I have called and asked for a "window" or "gauge" of any kind. I've even asked for something as broad as lasting the rest of the day vs. not. They hate to answer these questions. That's why I asked the community their thoughts based on previous releases, taking into account all the known factors now and from previous releases.

I get that these questions suck, and I get that specific questions can get inevitably stupid. Still.

30. CbusBrews13

CbusBrews13 Initiate (52) Apr 6, 2017 Ohio

I've always had REALLY awesome service at the Jackie O's Taproom. I only live about 45-50 minutes from the brewery and I've called before just to make sure a beer was still there before I made the trek (given, I'm not asking them if they will have X amount left at some undetermined date), and they always told me if they did and usually how many cases are left.

31. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Yea, I've always had great luck with that too. -Just no one seems to like to answer the "Any idea how long it will last" question. Totally get where you are coming from, though.

32. Fordcoyote15

Trader

All I was asking for was a few people's personal opinions on how long it may last. If I'm making a 7hr round trip after work its easier to justify if I get some "probably still be lots" opinions and likewise I'd probably sit it out if I got a few "might be close" opinions.

Sabtos likes this.
  33. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I am on your side. I asked the same thing before that.

34. RyanMcFly1985

Trader

It's a lose-lose situation for the brewery to answer that, though. I do not see how, in the current craft beer climate, any brewery can predict when something will run out. If they tell you it will likely be gone and you don't go and it lasts, then you'll be mad. If they tell you they should have it and you do go and it's gone, then you'll be mad. To be clear, I am not saying that you specifically will be mad. I am just saying that plenty of people get super mad about beer-related things that are well outside of a brewery's control nowadays.

Calling the taproom for an answer of how much they have left is a different discussion. That has a concrete answer. The answer of how long something will last is not concrete.

35. Sabtos

Society Trader

Didn't they both just say they would be asking the community, not the brewery?

Fordcoyote15 likes this.
  36. RyanMcFly1985

Trader

I was further elaborating on my point above regarding how it is comical to me when people ask the brewery. Whether it's the brewery or the community, no one knows the answer anyway.

37. Sabtos

Society Trader

We've had semi-live update reports from attendees in the past saying they could visually see X number of cases, at least behind the counter, or directly asking the cashiers how things are looking so far.

There's no getting away from these questions, we see them about 1/100th as often as people in FL and MA, but when this actually hits it's likely going to be attendees who are the primary source of information for most folks here minute by minute, accuracy be damned.

38. BigSpeen3436

I'll be there the morning of the release so I'll try to keep people updated here.

39. Josbor11

Josbor11 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio

I usually hate when people ask this question...but I'm gonna be that guy.

Any of the JO locations dog friendly? Was thinking of driving down for the release Weds but I would like to bring my girlfriend and the dogs along so we can make an overnight stop a Hocking afterwards. Just depends on what I can do with them while making our Athens pit stop.

40. BigSpeen3436

I know the taproom definitely is but I think that's it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.