Jackie O's (2018)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by zbodnar1, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyite

pyite Initiate (176) Feb 25, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Sabtos likes this.
  2. CannedWaggoneer

CannedWaggoneer Initiate (99) May 1, 2017 Ohio

Yeah, a few of the guys behind the scenes at Jackie O's finally caught up to my level not that long ago.

3. Gibspeed

Gibspeed Initiate (95) Feb 9, 2017 Ohio

As people read through that, can everyone also stop knocking beers like BB Black Maple for being thin??? To get that amount of flavor in that beer and that ABV and still be able to easily down a 500ml bottle yourself is impressive in itself. I love a good, thick stout to sip once in a while, but I'm just as happy with a thinner one that is so well done.

beace and CannedWaggoneer like this.
  4. Runofthedill

Runofthedill Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 Ohio

375ml

Gibspeed likes this.
  5. Gibspeed

Gibspeed Initiate (95) Feb 9, 2017 Ohio

Yeah I realized it, tried to fix it, but can't edit? so I just left it. Still, I could easily finish 500ml of it myself haha

beace likes this.
  6. CannedWaggoneer

That's one thing NEIPAs and stouts with Oreos crushed up in them have done to mess up craft beer. Now everything has to be damn near gelatinous and have a 5lb bag of sugar in every glass.

7. KyleDavis

KyleDavis Initiate (127) Aug 20, 2015 Ohio

Also, BBBM is classified as a porter, which is traditionally a thinner beer than a stout. That's actually where "stout" comes from: "stout porter."

8. Stoutofmymind

Stoutofmymind Initiate (42) Aug 27, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Common misconception about BBBM, the more you know...

djtothemoney, Gibspeed and KyleDavis like this.
  9. kgncfl

kgncfl Aspirant (208) Dec 24, 2013 Washington
    Trader

Modeling is a complex exercise that most companies do not have the expertise or the manpower to do properly. I do exactly this as part of my job and have on multiple occasions been the first one to actually do modelling for that particular company. I am talking about companies that do over a billion dollars in revenue. In larger companies especially finance/investment based ones, modelling is somewhat common, but the vast majority of companies do not do a lot of modeling (I'm talking low level modelling here) mainly because they are small, or middle sized companies without the manpower or expertise to do so which Jackie O's certainly fits into.

Plus modelling needs to serve a business purpose, in this case, for this brewer I would argue that it would be a waste of time to create this model for this one release. Jackie O's brewed a batch of beer that they expected to sell out of in two weeks max, it doesn't really help them to know that it could sell out in 7 vs 14 days (obviously they did much better than that). No value = no modelling.

PJ_, CannedWaggoneer and KyleDavis like this.
  10. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Savant (958) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

My comments were completely unrelated to Jackie Os (and I agree it would be worthless for JO to spend the money to do said modeling). My comments were directed to point out that most individuals use heuristics in place of actual models to make decisions. Sometimes these are pretty good approximations, and sometimes they are completely wrong. Regardless, that's what we go on so frequently day-to-day. My comments were suggesting that, based on past behavior from JO releases, we have some data to make an educated guess with. Even with this past release having been "uncharted territory," there is still some information to base your belief on.

Sabtos likes this.
  11. MajorBuckeye

MajorBuckeye Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Ohio

12. neelonjm

neelonjm Initiate (48) Jul 13, 2015 Ohio

Does anyone know if BB Brick Kiln Nuts ever saw distro?

13. Sinzanasti

Sinzanasti Aspirant (213) Apr 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Yes it did...at least in Columbus it did

14. neelonjm

neelonjm Initiate (48) Jul 13, 2015 Ohio

Ok thanks, I saw a bottle randomly sitting with a bunch of regular BB Brick Kiln, so I thought maybe I got lucky and a rogue bottle got into a shipment of the regular.

15. UcDru

UcDru Devotee (429) Aug 15, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Can confirm Cincy saw distro.

16. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 Ohio

Also saw it in Cleveland, which I didn't expect.

williamDbar likes this.
  17. Zonian1

Zonian1 Meyvn (1,258) Sep 29, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

Picked up a 6'er of Mystic Mama today in Kettering. The stamp on the can said canned on 06/01/17. That was yesterday! Kudos to the JO's staff and distribution team for getting ultra-fresh beer across the state at the speed of light!

Now waiting for my fridge to cool them to drinking temp. Will be my first time trying the new recipe.

18. jampics2

jampics2 Poo-Bah (1,808) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Society Trader

You are in for a real treat. New recipe is killer!!

19. Keffa

Keffa Defender (610) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

djtothemoney likes this.
  20. Keffa

Hey, another local! *wave*

Zonian1 likes this.
  21. CannedWaggoneer

The official term for this is FAF.

RUinOhio, Tifore, Zonian1 and 4 others like this.
  22. NABS

NABS Initiate (116) May 11, 2011 Ohio

I was lucky enough to have Appervation this weekend and was absolutely blown away. Every trip to Jackie O's is always rife with discovery (and rediscovery) of amazing beers.

Thank you to Art, Brad, and the rest of the staff for yet another wonderful getaway. I wish I were able to get down there more often, but the rarity of my journeys to Athens always make me grateful I was able to try your beers at all.

purephase, JohnnyMc, Tifore and 9 others like this.
  23. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

I told my wife we just need to move down to Athens........I assured her it wasn't beer related. >_>

NABS and beace like this.
  24. NABS

NABS Initiate (116) May 11, 2011 Ohio

I've often think the same thing. Just move to Athens and teach in the Athens schools or try Ohio U. Anything to facilitate a 5-20 minute drive to a Jackie O's facility.

JohnnyMc and djtothemoney like this.
  25. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,197) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

26. gilligantrips

gilligantrips Initiate (82) Jun 4, 2015 Ohio

chrismattlin and WesMantooth like this.
  27. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (349) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I'd love to see how much sugar is in all the new Marshmallow, Caramel, Coconut, Chocolate stouts coming out lately.

28. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,197) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Well deserved. It reminds me a lot of a Arthur if my memory is correct.

djtothemoney likes this.
  29. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (865) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

Is anyone heading to the Elle release?

30. Yaoverstand

Yaoverstand Initiate (41) Sep 22, 2015 North Carolina
    Trader

I'll be in Athens from NC July 1-5 to hit up the taproom. If you see someone sharing some heist or Fonta Flora at the taproom, it's me!

31. Beer_Economicus

Trader

No idea what you are referring to or when. Checked their FB and twitter again in case I missed something...burn i can't find anything about an upcoming release, what it is, or when.

32. scubastza

scubastza Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2013 Ohio

You forgot the Gram

chrismattlin and WesMantooth like this.
  33. sbh50

sbh50 Initiate (82) Feb 6, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

I liked both off the beaten paths more than the pockets of sunlight. Just shows you how deep their saison portfolio is. Some of my favorite saisons in the world come from them. Right in my wheelhouse. Congrats on the recognition!

34. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Thanks!

With it hitting distro, not planning to go down. Interested in trying it though.

scubastza likes this.
  35. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (865) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

Want some myself but Ohio is an hour from me. With no limits, I'm hoping to find a kind soul out there.

36. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

WesMantooth likes this.
  37. Keffa

It's a shame you don't live near me, there's a local grocery that got a case of it, and it's still sitting on the shelf...

38. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Disciple (343) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

I am assuming he just means that he needs to go out and grab more. Still plenty available up here.

CannedWaggoneer likes this.
  39. CannedWaggoneer

He should still drive to Dayton for that case though.

Zonian1, PJ_ and RyanMcFly1985 like this.
  40. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Disciple (343) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Absolutely.

CannedWaggoneer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.