Jackie O's (2018)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by zbodnar1, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

@beace Will the Anniversary bottle release be at the Brewpub, Public House, or the Production facility?

2. beace

beace Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2007 California

All three, Bottle sale at Production Brewery, drafts and food at all locations. Both days.

3. Keffa

Keffa Defender (610) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

Will one of the anniversary beers finally be Dynamo Hum @beace?

You'd think I hated you if I didn't keep asking, lol. BTW, that Mosaic Mandala is hot fire.

zbodnar1 and GreatMoloko like this.
  4. pest

pest Disciple (372) Sep 2, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

He was shooting for end of October to get the stragglers carbed up. So hope it’s before then, I’m still impatiently waiting =]

GreatMoloko likes this.
  5. GreatMoloko

GreatMoloko Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2011 Ohio

I've got 1 more vacation day and I already told my boss I may need to take it at a moments notice. I did not tell him why...

jlpyp, djtothemoney and Tifore like this.
  6. beace

Hoping for December for Dynamo, Carbbing them up has been difficult, but they are getting close. I have another fruited delight for the anniversary party....

pest, Beer_Economicus and Elkevjoe like this.
  7. beace

We have over 500 cases, it will see distro, Dynamo that is.

8. CannedWaggoneer

CannedWaggoneer Initiate (99) May 1, 2017 Ohio

You'd think you didn't like any of their other beers.

Keffa and Tifore like this.
  9. GreatMoloko

GreatMoloko Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2011 Ohio

Good to know, but I'll still use it as an excuse to come visit Jackie O's again and to visit Little Fish for the first time. :slight_smile:

10. beace

11. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

I'm really looking forward to this. Am I right to assume you aren't doing the calendars for this release?

I assume the Brewpub and Public House will also have some good stuff on tap as well, can't wait.

chrismattlin likes this.
  12. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,588) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

13. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Savant (958) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I actually had the same question @beace, but only from the perspective that I am curious if there are any components that contain nuts. I am assuming so, but I am hopeful that it does not. Deathly allergic and did not get to try last year's.

14. beace

I will know more about the blend once I do a few more rounds of dialing it in.

15. beace

No nuts in Spirit Beast this year!

16. beace

No Calendar pages. The bottle sale is held at the Production brewery, there will be a line, first come first serve. There will be a lot of beer, so please no camping or ridiculous early assembly. It early January, should be very cold. More details will emerge later about times, case counts, and other logistics.

There will be excellent drafts at all the locations!

17. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,197) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Drinking a Champion Ground right now. Admittedly I haven’t had a fresh one for awhile, but there seems to be more of a coffee presence in this batch?? A lot of charred-roasty bitterness in the aftertaste. Killer. Did you use more and/or different beans this time @beace ?

18. beace

All adjunct stouts from us have increased the usage of said adjunct this year. Some we even doubled. As the larger beer audience continues to demand beer that doesn’t taste like beer but more like something we may have enjoyed as a child, we have slowly brought our levels up. People still find “no coffee, no vanilla, no maple, ...” in our barrel aged stouts. Tact, balance, and subtleties/nuance has been lost in the new wave of aficionados and enthusiasts. The increase has definitely given some beers added robustness which is nice.

19. CannedWaggoneer

I'm glad you have been making more and more mixed culture/farmhouse stuff for those of us who don't need any handholding or palate bludgeoning to enjoy a beer.

That said, Champion Grounds and Coffee Black Maple were both fantastic.

20. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Savant (958) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I know that I am not the type of person you are referring to, but I would probably inadverently be as a result of Untapped reviews.

My palette is pretty sensitive to bitterness, and as a result I tend to get wildly different perspectives than others do. I had Hunter vanilla which was supposed to be "OMG vanilla," and I barely got it. So, I think my review probably did say that I wanted more Vanilla. Similarly, I had Raspberry Vlad the 2nd, and that was extremely artificial tasting to me (and somehow exceedingly bitter despite it being a "very sweet" stout?) Finally, I have had some maple beers where the Maple was barely there. (I have not had black Maple yet, but I intend to, so this is in no way a JO comment).

Anyway, this was all to say that part of my complaint is that I do want to be able to taste it in a pronounced way (for me that probably just means taste it) if I am going to be paying a premium. If I am paying the same price I normally do, I'm fine with however subtle the brewer wants it to be. You don't charge more for these adjunct/flavored stouts, so, make them as subtle/nuances as you want them to be, in my opinion.

21. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,197) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Not that Champion Ground (first release or this) isn’t, but Scrip is easily one of my favorite JOs beers. It just needs to come in 750s because every one that I open is gone in about 3 minutes.

Tifore and Beer_Economicus like this.
  22. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Savant (979) May 10, 2014 Ohio

Pockets of Sunlight is the best "sour" I've had in ages! Definitely best of '17. The others are great too- keep em coming.

Tifore, tepie, dtx00 and 1 other person like this.
  23. sbh50

sbh50 Initiate (82) Feb 6, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

I'm with you on that. Babbling Brook was excellent. Already bought some more of those bad boys.

Tifore likes this.
  24. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Zealot (576) Nov 15, 2009 Ohio
    Deactivated

Elle is my favorite of the saisons.

Tifore and TDavis like this.
  25. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Zealot (576) Nov 15, 2009 Ohio
    Deactivated

I'm waiting for a brewery to release barrel-aged chocolate milk, ie not a stout made to mimic the flavors of chocolate milk, but actual chocolate milk.

Tifore and Sabtos like this.
  26. beace

Barrel aged seltzer

27. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,588) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Angry Chair already does this.

PhilBallins, Tifore and Gibspeed like this.
  28. CannedWaggoneer

Honestly I don't know why some of these puree breweries don't just branch out into cold pressed juice. At least pulp is acceptable when it comes to juice. There's plenty of room there. Make all sorts of crazy, unique juices. I'd actually have some respect for them then. They are already 3/4th of the way there, just ditch the shitty, amateurish kettle sour base. Hell, they could even keep the pint cans.

29. beace

Make beer great again

30. Bretts545

Bretts545 Initiate (57) Feb 19, 2014 Ohio

Seltzer Weller.......

ohiobeer29, Tifore and beace like this.
  31. gilligantrips

gilligantrips Initiate (82) Jun 4, 2015 Ohio

I want to echo the thoughts on Babbling Brook. It definitely makes my top 10 for the year, alongside Pockets of Sunlight.

Both have excellent labels as well. Any plans to continue the series (is this a series...? just assuming bc of the labels) and brew these next year?

sbh50 likes this.
  32. beace

It’s my nature series. Currently aging a seaweed and sea salt saison called “ restless wave.” Pockets will return in the spring!

33. alphaiii

alphaiii Initiate (66) Dec 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

Was this the case with this year's BB Oro as well?

This year's batch didn't seem to have anywhere near the pepper and cinnamon as last year's. I thought it was less "chocolatey" as well. A solid beer, but I thought it was very different from the previous batch.

34. beace

Same treatment as the year prior. Hard to hit the habaneros consistently since it is an agricultural product that changes origin and growing season. Beers that are only produced once a year will always see variation and will rarely be as good as "last years batch!"

35. alphaiii

alphaiii Initiate (66) Dec 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

While I can see why you'd say this... and agree it's an irritating trend in the craft beer world...

I'm certainly not the only to comment (in this thread) on the differences between the 2 batches, so others have noticed what I've noticed. And some clearly stated they prefer this years' with less spice.

Either way, it wasn't meant as an attack on you... just genuinely curious if the treatment had changed this year. I could've sworn I read you state, at least with regular Oro, that the cinnamon was dialed back intentionally based on consumer feedback... and I'm sure it is tough to get consistency with the peppers.

36. pest

pest Disciple (372) Sep 2, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

I was going to point out I liked vanilla black maple more this year than last until I realized that would play into your snark on the current state of the adjunct game. Really backed me into a corner here :laughing:

Beer_Economicus and Sinzanasti like this.
  37. beace

I was just having a little fun the "better vintage" comment. I took nothing as an attack, I love interacting on these forums. Have a great weekend!

38. Zonian1

Zonian1 Meyvn (1,258) Sep 29, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

Last year's batch was better than this years, which is way better than next years, which I can't wait to try!

39. CannedWaggoneer

I heard they might've changed the recipe to Pumking this year, it's just not as good.

Anyway, that seaweed and seasalt saison sounds like it could be incredible. Salt and tart work really well together, and I know you know that. Your gose is great and balanced.

Anyway, as a scotch drinker that prefers Islay, seaweed and sea salt have my ears perked up.

Bretts545 and WesMantooth like this.
  40. beace

Dynamo Hum release details on Monday. Hope you all had a great holiday weekend and shared some of that Athens County Stout with your friends and loved ones!

Keffa, PEDXING, djtothemoney and 16 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.