Jackie O's Bottle Release 9/19 - 9/20

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by riemster, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riemster

riemster Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2011 Ohio

What??? No super deluxe suite at OU Inn? :wink: Thanks for the help, but 2 other BAs actually messaged me earlier today. I think I'm golden now. I've been on the hunt for awhile as you know. I guess all I had to do was post in a Jackie O's thread. Haha.

Hahaha! Tyler is the best name eva.

TDavis likes this.
  2. Bretts545

Bretts545 Initiate (57) Feb 19, 2014 Ohio

Haha, I know! We tried for the OU Inn suite again but its already booked up, we will be having a bottleshare and you guys are obviously invited! We have a group of about 8 coming for this one.

3. TDavis

TDavis Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2013 Ohio

Here are the details.
    http://jackieos.com/blog/919-20-bottle-release/.

Looks like it will probably be 1 bottle on Naja, 2 on the barleywine, and 3-4 on CSaison Reserve

Also looks like the fruited berliners will be back on draft. YES PLEASE!

#43 TDavis, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  4. BuckeyeBeerhead

BuckeyeBeerhead Initiate (143) Jun 18, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

5. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2013 Ohio

I won't be able to make the release, unfortunately, but I'd love to trade for a bottle of the barleywine - hit me up if you're interested (I'm a Bruery RS member and I have a smattering of Jackie O's bottles from past releases). I'm sure we can work something out!

6. riemster

riemster Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2011 Ohio

1 bottle limit on BB Naja was confirmed. I forgot to include that in my original post.

7. tells

tells Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2012 Ohio

Is there a set date for the Rum Oil release? I can't make it down for the bottle release but was hoping to grab some the weekend before.

8. Walkerjgt

Walkerjgt Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2013 Ohio

Rooms are going fast. We booked Friday at the Days inn and Sat at Hometown. I've stayed at both. Cab rides not bad at all and you don't have to deal with parking and driving around Athens. Didn't win HF ZD tickets and you couldn't pay me to squeeze into Monk's so I'll be bring my own Cantillon for the shares. JO releases are way more fun anyway.

BorisKarloff and TDavis like this.
  9. mps

mps Aspirant (280) Jul 27, 2013 Ohio

They might as well be it's as much of a pain to get to as those places haha. Their beers are stupid good though and worth it

williamDbar likes this.
  10. BuckeyeBeerhead

Trader

I'm not sure I'm understanding the term "watered down". You go on to mention that the recent releases you have had from them are awesome. Is that a complete contradiction, or am I just playing catch up?

I don't think they "only" trade for Heady Topper. But considering that their bottles releases are numbered on the bomber label, you are able to see how many are made available per batch. Some of those releases may only be one time deals. While I love Heady Topper, I know that they will always make more.

11. ScottJWing

ScottJWing Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2013 Ohio

I've traded Black Maples for Hill Farmstead growlers and BM+Token for De Gardes and Special Herbs. There's some demand out there, just still fairly under the radar in the beer nerd world I'm afraid. Although I was at De Garde recently and when I mentioned I was from Ohio I heard Jackie O's (and Hoppin Frog) brought up. Aldo, someone brought a Dynamo Hum to the taproom as well.

12. BuckeyeBeerhead

Trader

It seems I might owe @King_Ranch an apology. I read wrong and was assuming you meant that Jackie O's was watered down. I now understand that that was in response to @JohnParadee. I don't think he was trying to devalue the release. Instead he was just offering something that in non-distro areas is worth a high value. To me, that's all about the value the trader places on the beer. I won't offer my opinion so as not to step on any toes. But I think my initial defensive post speaks for itself when it comes to Jackie O's. I love everything they put their hands on.

#52 BuckeyeBeerhead, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    King_Ranch, miketd and JMFP like this.
  13. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 Ohio

It's a shame how few people outside of Ohio recognize how great these beers are. I get annoyed when I see people post about wanting to get 2-3 bottles of Black Maple for TWO PseudoSues. I guess I just can't get on board with trades that are limited BA beers for year round IPAs.

RyanMcFly1985 likes this.
  14. miketd

miketd Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio

Not to mention, Sue is only 7 dollars a bomber. PS is good and glad I was able to try it, but yea, Black Maple Is great.

15. King_Ranch

King_Ranch Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Texas
    Deactivated

Since you brought up Aaron and Everett... My question is would you have made the same offer if you were looking for those?

Heady Topper and the like get thrown around a lot in the trading circles. I have had it ( and Sue ) multiples times and I have never traded for it.

JOs bottles are all under 400 bottles a release as far as I know.
    It appears they are in the middle of nowhere Ohio ( I think they even have a beer celebrating that ), yet just about any ISO I see where people are looking for them they are offering basically local limited shelf beers that I would categorize the same as the 375mls that JOs is distributing.

I guess I would have received your proposition better if you were looking for the limited distro 375s Jackie Os is releasing rather than their $20 sub 400 bottle releases that are sold one day and then gone at one place.

16. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Disciple (343) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

I absolutely agree. I don't play the "middle of nowhere" card when trading but since HF people seem to do it, it is fair to say Jackie O's is also in the middle of nowhere. Most releases at Jackie O's are people who travel from far (I come from about 3.5 hours away) and we get there the day before the release. I do not factor the travel time into trades, but I also know that it makes me more hesitant to trade for beers that are more easily available. I do not think the person trying to trade for the releases was trying to get something for nothing, but I can see how it came out that way. The 3 releases will likely be 2-3 bottle limits at most (I am thinking 2) with BA Naja probably being 1-per at only 18 cases. That info may be more helpful to him.

The limited release 375's would have been more reasonable for what was offered IMO.

BuckeyeBeerhead likes this.
  17. JMFP

JMFP Meyvn (1,109) Dec 2, 2013 Delaware
    Trader

Thank you for the edification here, guys. I honestly did not realize how limited or difficult to obtain some of these JO bottles are. Now I know. Genuinely sorry if I offended anyone. Cheers.

BuckeyeBeerhead likes this.
  18. BuckeyeBeerhead

Trader

I don't feel there's a need to apologize. I think it's mostly just a situation where people from outside Ohio don't have all of the necessary information to offer what we would consider "fair". The BA members above are correct in that these bottles are extremely limited. You have to show up the day before the sale and stand in line for a ticket in order to be able to purchase them. The earlier you get there, the better chance you have to buy them all. Even with that privilege, some bottles carry a two bottle limit, at best. Some are only one per person. Taking those numbers into account and also considering that people drive a couple of hours to get to JO's and also have to be there the better part of two days, not many people would be chomping at the bit to trade their bottles. However, I'm positive that there are two people out there on opposite sides of the country that each buy their allotment of two really special beers with the intention of keeping one and trading the other. Those two people would do well to discuss a trade involving one of these beers.

Walkerjgt likes this.
  19. JMFP

JMFP Meyvn (1,109) Dec 2, 2013 Delaware
    Trader

Got it. Cool. Thx!

20. Walkerjgt

Walkerjgt Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2013 Ohio

My two cents on JO Trade value. Primarily it's because the hype train doesn't come through Ohio. Secondarily Ohio doesn't have a steady supply of highly sought after beers. When traders get something they are quick to dump it because they finally have the ammo to get those beers they really want to try. A beer is worth whatever you're willing to trade it for. If you feel it should be worth more than you're being offered, for example a 300 bottle count beer vs a DIPA that's available 7 days a week at the best western, don't settle. On the flipside if that's all you have to offer, and you really wanna try some heady, then why not. It's just beer.

BuckeyeBeerhead and pyite like this.
  21. Swettenham_Shire

Swettenham_Shire Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2014 Ohio

Per their Facebook page, it won't be released until LATE September. You could grab some regular Oil this weekend though... it's available now.

tells likes this.
  22. tells

tells Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2012 Ohio

Thank, I saw that too. I'll be there this weekend but it seems I'll be there too early. Hopefully the bottle release crowds don't wipe it out before I can get down next time.

23. beace

beace Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2007 California

Rum Barrel Oil will be for sale today at 4pm at the Taproom, (25 Campbell St.) $11.99/btl, 6btls/person/day. We also still have BB Black Maple and the last few cases of BBDA. Regular Oil, DA, Brick Kiln, and Pawpaw are available as well.

24. RyanMcFly1985

Trader

Will they taplist be released soon, Brad?

25. Swettenham_Shire

Swettenham_Shire Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2014 Ohio

Being released today! Good news Friday!

tells likes this.
  26. beace

beace Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2007 California

Yes! Maybe today, probably tomorrow. 38 tasty brews coming your way!

27. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 Ohio

Every time I see a new reply to this thread I get even more jealous for those that are going.

28. RyanMcFly1985

Trader

OH YEAH!!!

29. sweatervest27

sweatervest27 Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2009 Ohio

I haven't made it to a JOs release in a couple years which totally has me sad faced, so I'm determined to make this one. Are there still bottle shares going on? I imagine there has to be something, I booked a room at super 8 so if anything we will be drinking there. But obviously if there's something organized that would be preferable.

30. zbodnar1

zbodnar1 Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2013 West Virginia

The trip to the Paw Paw
    This makes that trip to the Paw Paw festival even better!

31. Enochase04

Enochase04 Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2014 Ohio

Anyone from cincinnati going down to the release this weekend...I can't go but would like to get some rum barrel oil of Aphrodite. I can give money for the allotment and some beer or gas money for helping me out. Shoot me a message if interested

32. jgeiger

jgeiger Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2008 Ohio

What time are people arriving on Friday?

33. irishaj

irishaj Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2014 Ohio

Can 375's be purchased when the bar opens at noon on Friday? Or Is it after 4pm only?

Only ask because if I make it down I won't be staying for the calendar pages

34. Bretts545

Bretts545 Initiate (57) Feb 19, 2014 Ohio

They'll be selling 375's at the production facilty from open to close

35. jgeiger

jgeiger Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2008 Ohio

A friend at work picked me up a couple of Rum Barrel Oil Of Aphrodite this weekend. Cant wait to crack one open. Someone at the new Giant Eagle in Grandview, OH today said they should have some come Friday. They are also doing an Ohio tap take over including Jackie O's.

36. zbodnar1

Has anyone seen or heard the tap list yet? I am looking forward to trying the BA Naja and the BA Barley wine. Also, hoping the fruited Berliners will be on tap!

frenchblood21 likes this.
  37. williamDbar

williamDbar Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2012 Ohio

[​IMG]

zbodnar1 likes this.
  38. zbodnar1

^Thanks!

williamDbar likes this.
  39. dtx00

dtx00 Disciple (320) Oct 21, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Please sign me up for multiple growlers of Oro Negro. Just made my decision if I am going or not.

King_Ranch, frenchblood21 and kbuzz like this.
  40. zbodnar1

Ditto, sounds freaking awesome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.