Jackie O's

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by zbodnar1, Jan 15, 2015.

1. zbodnar1

zbodnar1 Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2013 West Virginia

Jackie O's deserves its own thread. Since the last thread was locked down after the fire, thought it best to start a new thread to talk about 375ml bottles for sale, taps, Brewery only releases and so on.

On that note, who has tried Vanilla & Coffee Bean Dark Apparition and is it as amazing as I think it will be? Also, curious to get everyone's thoughts on what the next 375 bottle will be, any guesses?

2. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Aspirant (206) Oct 23, 2013 Ohio

Good call. I plan on heading down there on Saturday from Cleveland to grab a few beers and check out the brewery/taproom. I'm looking forward to trying the Vanilla Coffee Dark App.

Rick Armon tweeted about a BB Oil of Aphrodite being released around March or April.

https://twitter.com/ArmonRickABJ/status/545723993219956738

zbodnar1 likes this.
  3. zbodnar1

Yeah, I was thinking about making the trip this weekend as well. So glad the kitchen is up and running, love their pizza.

Bourbon oil sounds awesome! I am hoping for the Berliner or Dynamo to hit the 375ml bottles soon, but I have no concrete info on that, just a guess.

4. Treebute

Treebute Initiate (148) Jul 13, 2011 Ohio

I was up there last weekend. The IPA Kolsch is a must try along with the Dilly Dally and Secret Password.

I heard that the next bottle release event they were aiming for a late March/Early April.

5. BigSpeen3436

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to check those out, along with the Nitro Turtle Fudge that sounds pretty good...

"Imperial porter brewed with oats, chocolate chips, roasted peanuts, and local maple syrup on nitrogen."

SixThousandDollars likes this.
  6. Jstonerock24

Jstonerock24 Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2014 Ohio

Hopefully it is BA vanilla bean/coffee dark app!!!

7. purephase

purephase Initiate (124) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

Brad mentioned a while ago that he was hoping to have Dynamo hit statewide late in the year and had over 20 barrels of it aging. He also said he might throw coffee in with the BA Oil which would be awesome as that beer was far and away my favorite at the 8th anniversary.

zbodnar1 and SixThousandDollars like this.
  8. Jstonerock24

Jstonerock24 Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2014 Ohio

Either way anything that Jackie O's does barrel aged is freakin' AMAZING!!!!

Bonis, killerjetski and zbodnar1 like this.
  9. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (508) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

I have 2 bottles each of Dark Apparition & Oil of Aphrodite & haven't cracked 'em yet. Sooooo hard to come by in NE Ohio, & not light on the wallet but worth every penny as a sleeping bag for the soul:wink:

do_ob and shadwow13 like this.
  10. Wookiefist

Wookiefist Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2013 North Carolina

Where at in NE Ohio are you?

11. Blueribbon666

I found Jackie O's in bottles at Huron Market in Huron & West Point Market in Akron. I'm sure there are other places closer to C-Town that have Jackie O's but I have never seen these 2.
    I usually see their 3 or 4 canned varieties around I'm partial to Hop Ryot & Chomolungma. The only other bottles I see regularly is Paw Paw, which is a good strong paw paw fruit beer.

12. Mshull

Mshull Disciple (373) Mar 26, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Vanilla bean coffee dark app should hit the shelves this week

13. BigSpeen3436

Let me confirm that it is fantastic. As it warmed, I got quite a bit of vanilla up front and in the mouthfeel and the coffee was very prevalent throughout.

RyanMcFly1985 likes this.
  14. tells

tells Initiate (66) Aug 21, 2012 Ohio

Agreed. Stopped by the taproom this weekend and picked up a few and am now wishing I picked up more. I really hope a BA Dark App batch sees a similar treatment.

15. BigSpeen3436

What time were you there? I was up there around 1-4 on Saturday. I tried one first just to confirm my expectations and ended up buying a whole bunch of it.

As far as a BA version of it, they are thinking about throwing vanilla and coffee beans into barrels with Dark App. I hope they end up doing that because I think a BA version would be fantastic.

16. tells

tells Initiate (66) Aug 21, 2012 Ohio

Stopped in Friday night around 7 on my way to West Virginia. And that's amazing to hear, can't wait for that!

17. Mshull

Mshull Disciple (373) Mar 26, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

I'm now getting word that vanilla and coffee dark app isn't getting distributed to the northeast Ohio area? Can anyone confirm or deny this

18. BigSpeen3436

Someone posted on FB that they got some in Independence today.

19. zbodnar1

Anybody notice if any BA Wood burner was left at the Tap Room? That beer is great, I would love to pick some more up when I go for the vanilla and coffee Dark Apparition. I looked on their website but didn't see a bottle list.

SixThousandDollars likes this.
  20. beace

beace Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2007 Ohio

SixThousandDollars and zbodnar1 like this.
  21. zbodnar1

22. howopeeps

howopeeps Initiate (180) Mar 7, 2011 Ohio

Buddy of mine was going to stop by the brewery and get some bottles. But he going to be there before four when you open. Any way he can stop before and pick some stuff up

23. beace

As long as it is just purchasing bottles anyone can stop by after 10am Monday thru Saturday.

24. howopeeps

howopeeps Initiate (180) Mar 7, 2011 Ohio

Ya just bottles thanks brad

25. Bonis

Bonis Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2010 Ohio

I agree so far. I've tried BBA Dark App, Black Maple, and Wood Burner and all have been among the best barrel aged beers I've had. Dark App has been the best to me so far... I easily put it above KBS.

The one I have in my possession but have yet to try is BBA Brick Kiln. At 11.8%, I am thinking of sitting on it for 6 months or so. I do want to drink it relatively fresh, but don't want to experiment a lot with aging by buying multiple bottles (mostly due to the fact that I can rarely spend $12 on multiple 375s of the same beer). Anyone think it will be better with a little time on it or should I go for the kill now?

zbodnar1 likes this.
  26. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (482) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

"A" paw paw fruit beer? I'm guessing it's the only paw paw fruit beer. :rolling_eyes:

27. miketd

miketd Zealot (504) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio

I may be misreading your post, but I know Buckeye brews a paw paw beer as well.

Bonis likes this.
  28. Bonis

Maybe I'm misreading as well, but Weasel Boy also brews a paw paw pale ale which is excellent IMO.. haven't tried the Jackie O's yet. Maybe they are more common than one may think?

Keffa and miketd like this.
  29. miketd

Pretty sure they all brewed them for the paw paw festival held in Southern Ohio. There were probably a few others.

30. BuckeyeBeerhead

BuckeyeBeerhead Initiate (138) Jun 18, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

You're correct. Marrietta, Thirsty Dog, Weasel Boy, Buckeye, Jackie O's, and Black Box all had paw paw beers at the festival. I may even be missing a couple.

Keffa and Blueribbon666 like this.
  31. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (482) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Who knew!? Ohio: the Paw Paw beer capital of the world!

Keffa likes this.
  32. beace

Its Ohio's native state fruit. We are the only brewery that produces a pawpaw beer year round.

33. dtx00

dtx00 Disciple (326) Oct 21, 2006 Pennsylvania

Then there is Funky South Paw, the best paw paw beer ever:grinning:

Stinger80OH, vrbulldog22 and pest like this.
  34. BuckeyeBeerhead

BuckeyeBeerhead Initiate (138) Jun 18, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

And God bless you for that!

35. Bonis

I know Weasel Boy has it listed as a seasonal. They may brew it and bring it down to that festival, but I have never been to the paw paw festival and have had their Pawpaw Pale Ale several times. Then again, I doubt they could sell a whole batch at a single festival.

The Funky South Paw sounds excellent.. didn't even know it existed, but it's obviously relatively popular.

36. miketd

I am almost 100 percent sure Buckeye bottled theirs, too.

Back to JO's, I was able to grab one bottle of the DA Vanilla today and pretty stoked to try.

BuckeyeBeerhead and beace like this.
  37. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Aspirant (288) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Drinking one right now. I could bathe in it. Fantastic. Whenever vanilla beans or coffee have been involved with Dark App, I have always been a huge fan. This is no different.

38. Blueribbon666

Thank you, sir for the and one. I've had Buckeye & Jackie O's, both were good. Jackie O's was a nice big ABV beer but very well done not boozy at all. Buckeyes I remember being lighter in ABV

BuckeyeBeerhead likes this.
  39. zbodnar1

Treebute and Swettenham_Shire like this.
  40. Swettenham_Shire

Swettenham_Shire Zealot (500) Mar 11, 2014 Ohio

^ was BA Dark App released this early last year? Didn't get to try last time, happy to see it back in stock.