Jack's Abby (2018)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by paulman1813, Aug 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,463) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

I believe a BA Cherry Framminghammer is coming too

2. infectedlobster

infectedlobster Initiate (89) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'd love some barrel variations, without flavors, down the road. Like the Brandy BA Framinghammer from a couple years back. Port would be nice...

Maple Rum BA was pretty great at EBF last month. BA Framinghammer season is always worth the wait.

3. M-Fox24

Trader

The Double BA Framinghammer utilized brandy as well

4. M-Fox24

Trader

5. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Initiate (166) Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Looking forward to this one, but why is this called a Kellerbier? I thought those were paler than a porter. Based on the description, my novice understanding would be this is more similar to a schwarzbier.

6. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Heavy Trommel, can't wait.

7. oldbean

oldbean Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I'm not an expert on the matter, but my impression is that "Kellerbier" can refer either to a specific style, OR a general method (unfiltered/natural carb) of lager production. Jack's certainly seems to be using the later definition. Note for instance that Saxony is a Vienna lager, but it also says kellerbier on the can.

meefmoff and dwmetsfan13 like this.
  8. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (669) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Trying the Blood Orange Shandy for the 1st time during Easter brunch . Nice one, easy drinking & subtle fruit flavor.

meefmoff and soheadyithurts like this.
  9. Pudgemaster

Pudgemaster Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2018 Massachusetts

Picked myself up a four pack of the Springdale good n you. Such a good beer. Crazy how much good beer is available in MA

Piels25 likes this.
  10. kjlcm

kjlcm Initiate (179) Jul 16, 2013 New Hampshire

Agreed. I am a Trillium snob and Good N You is becoming a staple for me now that I can get it at the Craft Beer cellar right next to my work.

ColdOne and Pudgemaster like this.
  11. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Update, way awesome. Nice take on " porter" German style. Have to go to the brewery to pick up though. 5.5%. Reminds me of smoke and dagger without the smoke.

12. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (122) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts

Great food beer. Seemingly could pair with a number of different cuisines and add value the whole time.

Sheppard likes this.
  13. soheadyithurts

Great food beer. Seemingly could pair with a number of different cuisines and add value the whole time.

14. Trull

Trull Disciple (388) Dec 24, 2016 Massachusetts

Anyone else think that this year's Mass Rising is excellent? I was a little underwhelmed with last year's batch, so I only picked up a single at my local beer store. Will definitely be buying a couple of more four packs.....and of course Jack's Abby pricing is always a great!

[​IMG]

Sheppard, AirBob and soheadyithurts like this.
  15. bring

bring Initiate (86) Aug 17, 2005 Greenland
    Trader

+1 on this batch of Mass Rising

dankalicious

springdalebeer likes this.
  16. mhull

mhull Initiate (128) Apr 11, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

How's the graham cracker framinghammer?

17. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I was at Liquor Junction in Winchester yesterday where Jack's Abby was the "beer of the week" and they had a huge stack of on sale 12/15 packs. In the stack were their pilsner, house lager, HU, the variety pack, and the new shandy. Then out back in the "specialty" section they had two different kinds of expensive Springdale IPA, and for a few bucks less you could get Mass Rising.

Is there another brewery who has all the bases covered as thoroughly as JA? You want a cheap 12 pack of good beer with 4 or 5 choices? check. You want a trendy and expensive 4 pack of IPA? check. You want a whacky barrel aged/flavored sour or stout/porter? check. You want a family friendly beer hall with a full kitchen? check. You want more of a funky hipster vibe with "edgier" beer? check (that's the Springdale bar upstairs for those who haven't been).

With all threads on the main board about breweries making bad decisions, expanding too fast, not responding fast enough to trends or chasing trends too vigorously, these guys seem to be making sure they're well positioned whatever happens.

Now watch, they'll be up for auction by the end of summer :crazy_face:

18. ichorNet

ichorNet Poo-Bah (2,095) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

I had it last weekend. It's quite good; better than the Mole Framinghammer which I think was a little too strong tasting this time around... I'd probably keep that one in the cellar for a few months whereas GC Framinghammer was drinkable and very enjoyable. It has a little of that s'mores note and the graham flour is a pretty prominent aspect. I would definitely pick it up again.

AirBob likes this.
  19. DrugsDelaney

DrugsDelaney Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2016 Massachusetts

Did they not brew PB&J Framinghammer this year?

20. woodfinish

woodfinish Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

See the link posted above: Yes, but taproom sales only.

DrugsDelaney likes this.
  21. -Rick

-Rick Zealot (519) Dec 22, 2014 Massachusetts

Has anyone seen Sibling Maker in stores recently? Cracked one the other night, its unreal good IMO. looking to grab a few more if I can find them....

22. matthewp

matthewp Aspirant (234) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I agree it was good but it came out in November so it will probably be hard to find now since it was a one off release.

Try calling Wachusett Wine & Spirits in Boylston, Busa Wine & Spirits in Woburn, or Dion's Craft Beer in Waltham. Untappd shows them as having them at least recently.

23. JacksAbbyBrewing

JacksAbbyBrewing Initiate (73) Jul 19, 2011 Massachusetts

Sibling Maker is probably hard to find out in the market right now. We do have it available at the brewery though.

-Rick likes this.
  24. -Rick

-Rick Zealot (519) Dec 22, 2014 Massachusetts

Awesome. In take home bottles or for pours?

25. JacksAbbyBrewing

JacksAbbyBrewing Initiate (73) Jul 19, 2011 Massachusetts

Take home bottles.

-Rick likes this.
  26. Mulnotone

Mulnotone Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2018 Massachusetts

From my thread above, didn't know this forum existed!

Just saw this on the news earlier that they are being recognized by the US SBA for Manufacturer of the Year in Massachusetts. Quite exciting to see this award go to a brewery that isn't apart of the NEIPA bandwagon, enjoys making what they find interesting, and actually distributes their product. I quite enjoy their IPLs as well.

Source: http://www.wcvb.com/article/jacks-abby-named-massachusetts-manufacturer-of-the-year/20073548

SunDevilBeer, Sheppard and Trull like this.
  27. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (93) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

28. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Damn that sounds good.

29. Trull

Trull Disciple (388) Dec 24, 2016 Massachusetts

Yup, looks and sounds delicious!

30. state08

state08 Initiate (81) Feb 4, 2016 New Jersey

Going to be in the area Friday. Does anyone know how long the Framinghammer variants usually last? Would the Cocoa-Nut variant being released tomorrow have any chance of lasting?

Thanks

31. jbertsch

jbertsch Poo-Bah (1,593) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

It'll still be there

state08 likes this.
  32. DanPing

DanPing Aspirant (225) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

how do you know it is being released?

33. juliolugo

Per their email today, Cocoa-Nut is getting released next week. Super Mole (draft-only) is on the horizon...

34. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Franconian Kraft is delicious. Found it at the store too.

35. juliolugo

Just noticed why @state08 was confused. If you go to the Beer Hall & Kitchen page on Jack's Abby's website, there's a big link to a Barrel-Aged Framinghammer blog post along with variants and release dates. However, it's for last year's releases...

36. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Disciple (393) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

Franconian Kraft is lovely. Such a lovely rich taste, I'm practically chewing it as I drink it

Sweatshirt, Sheppard and meefmoff like this.
  37. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (384) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I was stoked to spot four packs of Maibock Hurts Like Helles at a local packy today, so I grabbed one along with some other items. I paid with plastic and the machine didn't show the total, but I idly checked out the receipt on the walk to the car and ZOUNDS, I was charged $24.99 for that four pack. I went back in and returned it. I told the cashier that in previous years this seasonal was priced in the same ballpark as all Jack's Abby brews but he checked the system and assured me that was the price assigned to that four pack.

I assume some serious miscommunication between the packy workers (or perhaps between the tiers) occurred somewhere along the line, but regardless, you might want to price-check that worthy brew before buying. And now I'm sitting here wishing I had one. Alas.

38. soheadyithurts

I paid $10.99 for a 4pk.

39. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (669) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

I paid $10.99 a few days ago. It’s decent but not great IMO. Preferred the Ayinger & Berkshire versions more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.