Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Jack's Abby appreciation thread

Discussion in 'New England' started by paulman1813, Aug 5, 2015.

1. paulman1813

paulman1813 Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2008 Massachusetts

As a Massachusetts resident on the border of Rhode Island, I generally have access to some of the best new breweries in the country within an hour drive. Now there's the darlings, Trillium, Tree House, Beer'd and Grey Sail, all of them amazing, each offering an incredible beer of the year candidate. I can honestly say I've never been let down visiting any of them, however of all of them, the tasting room I go to every time for a growler fill? Jack's Abby. Every beer they make is excellent and they ALWAYS offer 2-3 Brewery/draft only beers that makes your visit special. From Excess to Smoke and Machete, they are always creative, and unlike a lot of breweries who try to be creative, ever one of fun and delicious. So essentially what I'm saying is. Give the Tasting Room at Jack's a chance, it's one of the best in the world.

2. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Crusader (704) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

The Saxonator Doppelbock was very good. I'm planning on getting down there at some point to sample some of their other brews.

3. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,236) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I have had some great beers from Beer'd, Grey Sail, and Trillium, but Jack's is my favorite from that area. So far... The few Trillium beers I had were righteous!

4. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,480) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Love JA brews, everything I've ever had has been stellar. They don't need to apologize to anyone, wish I could get them fresh.

5. Mark740

Mark740 Initiate (116) Jan 30, 2013 Massachusetts

They are a top 5 favorite of mine, love me some Jack's!

6. beergorrilla

beergorrilla Meyvn (1,071) Feb 21, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Cant hate on op's statement. Havnt had a bad ja beer, love the beers they put out

7. paulman1813

I just feel like they get a bad rap for being accessible? None of my beer geek friends are ever looking for a growler of a specialty from JA, but they fawn over anything from Tree House or Trillium. JA is just so good I thought they needed special recognition.

8. butters_mcgee

butters_mcgee Zealot (545) Feb 26, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

love me some Jack's Abby, this colab w/ Otter Creek is great!

bobv likes this.
  9. lic217

lic217 Champion (846) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Just had bride maker last night. WOW was it a special brew. Kiwi rising is top notch as well, and their tasting room is great...

ChrisMyhre and joberlander like this.
  10. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,030) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

This is why I don't have any beer geek friends (present company excepted, of course) :grinning:.

11. paulman1813

HA that's what I'm saying! They deserve the Tourist line that they have! I'm sorry if this was a lame post but i just love their beer so much.

12tb and creepinjeeper like this.
  12. Yargamo

Yargamo Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2015 New York

I am a fan. Mass Rising, Smoke & Dagger, Kiwi Rising... Love them

13. TheHopBrewKid

TheHopBrewKid Initiate (180) Sep 11, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Much like everyone else, I didn't think they need defending, but fair enough, OP. And since they've become so readily available, I get what you're saying.

With that said, all of their BA Framminghammer's are beyond awesome and Lager Ness Monster was simply the smoothest 15% ABV beer I've ever come across. How they hid the alcohol as well as they did is incredible. I've also enjoyed their Berliners as well, especially the cherry if I remember correctly.

14. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Meyvn (1,415) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I love Jack's Abby. And part of my appreciation for them is because I can get it.

jdaddy likes this.
  15. Justin82

Justin82 Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'm from the south coast of mass and have loved Jacks Abby for years. Never heard much about their tap room though. Thanks for the info. Have wanted to go up there for a long time. I want to even more now

16. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Jack's Abby needs no defense, as Jack's Abby should not be attacked, by anyone, anywhere, for any reason. They are phenomenal brewers and I would gladly take their lineup as the only lineup I could ever buy.

Boomblaze and TongoRad like this.
  17. mungbeans

mungbeans Initiate (154) May 27, 2007 Massachusetts

Agreed. It's my favorite tap room to head to. The combination of short (mostly non-existent) lines, laid back atmosphere and world class beers is a combination almost impossible to find these days.

18. MattyB203

MattyB203 Aspirant (252) Apr 20, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Wish JA traded for more :slight_frown:

19. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Savant (961) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Is Jack's Abby distributed in CT?

20. MattyB203

MattyB203 Aspirant (252) Apr 20, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Yeah, there's distro in CT. But if you're going to Tree House and Trillium, it's a logical stop along the way and all of their great brewery only beers are made in huge quantities and are not too tough to get, but no one outside of the Northeast seems to ever want to trade for them. Alas.

WCKDVBZ and PatrickCT like this.
  21. brunop

brunop Aspirant (248) Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

jacks abby is world class. def.
    i just wish they'd brew more cascadian.

22. N17shelfside

N17shelfside Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I recently asked a friend to get me some beer from some of those other more popular MA breweries, ended up with a 32 oz. of Smoke and Machete. It was truly great.

23. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,179) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Supporter Subscriber

And let's not forget this, kids....

Jacks Abby Expansion

Sort of embarrassing, at my age, to admit I have pretty much become a fanboy.

24. VetsPackage

VetsPackage Aspirant (226) Jun 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I feel guilty overlooking them of late with how much I've gone out to Treehouse and Trillium but I'm super proud of having them in my store and how well they manage distribution. There's something to appreciate about every single thing they make whether it be purity to style, pulling off adventurous adjuncts (like pb&jellyhammer), or it's contribution to the community. Can't think of anyone on their scale that can put out a not-for-profit 12 pack for cheaper than BMC - $11.99 for a 12 pack of Framingham Lager at my store, absolutely brilliant.

25. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Meyvn (1,415) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

What @MattyB203 said.

WCKDVBZ and MattyB203 like this.
  26. Todd

Todd Founder (5,534) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber Beer Trader

I changed the horribly misleading title. Carry on.

DougC123, ChrisMyhre and VetsPackage like this.
  27. slengteng

slengteng Initiate (157) Apr 9, 2014 Massachusetts

I always buy Mass Rising when I see it fresh. It's a favorite for sure.

28. Sheppard

Sheppard Champion (827) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

There was an article a couple of days ago in the MetroWest Daily News with updates on the new brewery. To summarize, it's on schedule and we're looking at a mid to late September opening for the Beer Hall. It will take a bit longer to get the brewery part of it up and running. As we've seen with other new breweries (Hobo, Trillium, etc), these things take time and don't just pop up overnight.

LeRose likes this.
  29. LeRose

Supporter Subscriber

Wow - hadn't seen the plans for the restaurant. That could be a really good time. Wonder about parking though. Well, I guess it can't be worse than Morton Street!

30. MVP09

MVP09 Devotee (417) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

JA is my favorite MA brewery based off convinence, accessibility, price, selection, and quality. Great people too, always friendly. With the new beer hall they will only get better. Also seems like they are on target to open by Sept. I think? Two words "canned hoponious" and hoping canned Mass Rising! Still have not tried 3x Dry Hopped Hoponious but I its on tap or is it gone or still on the way? Joint Custody was solid nothing over the top. Nice easy drinking medium hopped juicy beer.

witts2000 likes this.
  31. Sheppard

Sheppard Champion (827) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

32. ommegoodness

ommegoodness Initiate (170) Apr 21, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Game-changing news (for me) at the end of that piece:

LeRose likes this.
  33. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (400) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Like others, I didn't know they needed defending from anything.
    I live in the same town as them, and it's TOO convenient to get there.
    I am looking forward to when they open their new place, with restaurant and all.

34. MVP09

MVP09 Devotee (417) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Totally forgot about TrIPL. One of my favorites from them.

35. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (183) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'm interested to know what the original title was, haha

36. LeRose

Supporter Subscriber

I believe it was "In Defense of Jack's Abby" or so close it doesn't matter...

BTW... Great avatar/handle - classic , all-time great character right there.

Capt_Quint likes this.
  37. LeRose

Supporter Subscriber

Some day I'm gonna load 45 miles of hose into my truck...

JrGtr likes this.
  38. Horbar

Horbar Zealot (560) Feb 24, 2012 Rhode Island

Love Jack's Abby!!! Hate their distributor. Finding fresh Mass Rising and Hop Union is a struggle. At one store I go to, newly delivered cases had 3 weeks on them already. Just gotta go to Framingham I guess.

39. emannths

emannths Initiate (193) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

I think something got lost in translation. I hope they're not planning on finishing the Wiener schnitzel in the oven. :astonished:
    [​IMG]

40. KevTurnersBootburn

KevTurnersBootburn Initiate (135) Jan 19, 2014 Massachusetts

I think this is the reason I significantly slowed down buying their beers. It is great that it is readily available even at some pretty crappy cornerstores but I got burned so many times buying "pre-date stamp" or unclearly dated bottles that I stopped buying their beer altogether. I have started grabbing a few things here and there again but I still am pretty hesitant even though they now clearly date.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.