Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee Speedway Stout

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by BeerMothaLova, Feb 8, 2014.

1. BeerMothaLova

BeerMothaLova Oct 5, 2013 California

The next single varietal coffee Speedway Stout has been announced. Its Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee Speedway Stout. It will go on sale March 3rd through BPT, as usual, and be available for pickup on March 8th. I for one am very excited for this new one. Theyre also not using Ryans Brothers coffee but Mostra Coffee. Never been there before. Can anyone attest to the excellence of their coffee?

#1 BeerMothaLova, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. BeerMothaLova

It also says Mostra Coffee will be trying to bottle their Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee to coincide with Alesmiths bottle release!

3. BeerMothaLova

Man usually someone makes a thread IN the Pacific Forum like this! Lol. Was wondering why nobody had yet.

whalewatchin likes this.
  4. HopHead84

HopHead84 Nov 29, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

I'm interested in trying it, but I've never had any of the coffee. Looks like Mostra is a home roaster and not a place you can visit.

5. BeerMothaLova

Oh thats interesting. Im excited to see how it turns out!

6. hiimrichie

hiimrichie Jul 11, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

They've got a shop in Carmel Mountain.

7. HopHead84

Beer Trader

Hmm. I see no address on their site, and their about section reads:
    I see an address on yelp, though. Wonder what the details are.

#8 HopHead84, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  8. whalewatchin

whalewatchin Sep 1, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Hi!

Sorry, we are working hard to launch our new and improved site. Almost there : )

Our roasting facility/distribution warehouse and tasting room in Carmel Mountain at 12225 World Trade Drive, Suite G, San Diego, Ca 92198. . I love everyone's comments and most of all, I love me some beer. If anyone's in the area, please don't hesitate to stop in for a cup or 3 (or IP trade of some sort!) of coffee....or maybe even stay longer to cup some of our newer coffee selections.

With that being said, I would like to introduce myself.

My name is Mike Arquines and i'm the head roaster over at Mostra Coffee in San Diego. Chef & Roaster by trade...Beer and Bourbon lover, trader, sharer everyday! Started off roasting in a cast iron skillet on my electric stove, then a hot air popcorn popper. Moved on to 1lb San Franciscan roaster and shortly after, a 25lb beauty of a behemoth SF that is now the centerpiece of our HQ.

Our roasting facility/distribution warehouse and tasting room in Carmel Mountain. I love everyone's comments and most of all, I love me some beer. If anyone's in the area, please don't hesitate to stop in for a cup or 3 (or IP trade of some sort!) of coffee....or maybe even stay longer to cup some of our newer coffee selections

A little backround about how are our Collab with Alesmith came about:

I Had drinks with Bill (brewer extraordinaire over at Alesmith ) and some friends one night and discussed a possible coffee collab with their speedway stout.. I threw out different options of coffee varieties, lots, etc and we both agreed that the JBM's flavor characteristics would be perfect...if, 1. Can we source some beans (2 barrels in the U.S. at the time) and 2. Can we roast it precisely to the flavor profile they were trying to achieve. Challenge accepted.

After weeks of hunting, we finally sourced some true 100% JBM (a lot of fakes out there) from the Mavis Bank Estate, we proceeded to cup (taste) different 20+ roast levels ranging from really light to waaay past 2nd crack to ensure a thorough examination of nuances, flavor profiles and most importantly, adhere and abide by the strict standards that Alesmith is known for and has set for us.

We settled on 4 roast levels and brought them all to Alesmith for Peter and the brewers to cup while not letting them know we already had our favorite picked out prior to the the tasting. Luckily, they all unanimously chose the one we all thought was the winner (wheew!). We then brewed the winning JBM roast for them to taste, as well as cold brewed concentrated version (full flavored, less acidic) and they decided to go with latter. Dosing, measuring amounts yadayada were finally worked out and after numerous tastes and palette balancing acts....A final ratio of Speedway to Cold Brew was found. It even gave Peter Zien and I quote, "Goosebumps"... Definitely not a bad thing.

So, to sum it all up...Jamaica Blue wasn't selected for its scarcity or to be gimmicky, but more for the flavor profile that Peter and Bill of Alesmith were looking for. We pitched different coffee varieties, rare and most not so rare...but we all agreed that JBM fit the flavor they were looking for and ultimately, it was there decision to go with it and man are we happy they did : )

Hope you guys enjoy as much as we enjoyed being a part of the process of it. In the mean time, do Pre-ISO's, wait in line for Younger, and countdown the days until Hunaphu Day, cause you know where i'll be...........trying to get my mules (or sherpas as I like to call em) in line for that Taps/El Cerrito Collab "REMY" release February 16th! : )

Cheers everyone!

- Mike

JustXBeer, largadeer, Dagsy and 23 others like this.
  9. ryno09

ryno09 May 1, 2010 California

Thanks for the info Mike, it was good talking to you last Saturday at Waypoint. Looking forward to the releases!

JustXBeer and whalewatchin like this.
  10. whalewatchin

Beer Trader

No prob!

Was great meeting and briefly chatting with you at Waypoint as well. Hope to see you at the release party

Big fan of the video reviews too! Keep pumpin em out..really informative and very well done : )

Cheers!

11. HopHead84

Beer Trader

When did you guys open at that spot?

12. whalewatchin

Beer Trader

Moved in only about 3 months ago from our previous roasting facility....Way bigger which is great, but also means you have for more details to work out in terms of flow of roasting production, packaging etc...as well as trying to button up our cupping/tasting/bottleshare(!) room and make it look like the way we envisioned.

HopHead84 likes this.
  13. HopHead84

Beer Trader

Damn. I used to live a mile away from your shop. Bad timing on the move!

14. whalewatchin

Beer Trader

Ahhhh, no worries! Where do you live now? Still in SD?

15. HopHead84

Beer Trader

Yep, just further south. A visit is definitely in order.

16. whalewatchin

Beer Trader

Looking forward to it : )

Cheers!

17. Melman

Melman Dec 5, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Now I have another reason to visit my aunt and uncle in Penasquitos. I checked out your site, but I couldn't find some stuff: hours to visit? tours, etc...

I'd also be curious if we could try the JBM to see what it contributes to the already awesome Speedway Stout.

18. bayareabeergeek

bayareabeergeek Feb 6, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Anyone know the purchase limit?

19. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway Jul 8, 2013 California

When I asked last Wednesday they had not yet decided on a limit, and they do not appear to have a link to the ticket page yet. Should be ready in a day or two.

I also asked if something else will be sold in that ticket event. The answer was yes. I asked if it were barrel aged, and the answer to that was yet as well. I noted that it seemed about time for a BA Wee Heavy release, and just got a smile, which means...nothing. I'd bet that or more BA Speedway.

20. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Jul 9, 2010 California

Either way sounds like a win

21. AndresR

AndresR Jul 19, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

The JBM Speedway is on tap now at Alesmith. Just posted. Tasters only.

iHia and Wowcoolman like this.
  22. cjajce

cjajce Dec 20, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

23. tyrsis

tyrsis Mar 13, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

but... but money... dammit Alesmith

ryno09 likes this.
  24. AlexM

AlexM Jun 9, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

So $18 for the Speedway???

25. KANE3

KANE3 Jul 31, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Jamaica Blue Mountain Speedway $18.00 ($19.62 w/service fee)

Barrel Aged Wee Heavy $28.00 ($29.97 w/service fee)

AlexM likes this.
  26. tyrsis

Beer Trader

Had some tonight. Pretty good, but it's no Kopi / Viet.

27. HeavySpeedway

I'll probably get there tomorrow afternoon. I will try not to be biased by your opinion, but I suspected that's the conclusion I would end up reaching.

On the other hand, I am very worried...very very worried...about the 6-bottle limit on BA Wee Heavy. I know they won't sell it out and I probably can buy it on many occasions afterwards, but I'll really be tempted to select "6" and be done with it for the year. Or get drunk on BA Wee Heavy more often.

28. tyrsis

Beer Trader

The taster I had today of BA Wee Heavy was absolutely delicious so... That's probably a good buy

SageO likes this.
  29. SageO

SageO Jul 13, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

^– I concur with this. When I was drinking it I thought it was the last batch of BA WH (December 2012), but once I saw the BPT link I realized it was probably a preview of the new batch – it’s really damn good.

JustXBeer likes this.
  30. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Jul 9, 2010 California

thank god I get paid friday

31. DougOLis

DougOLis Aug 15, 2008 California

Has anyone had any recently from the previous batch? I didn't like it as much on release as the previous release from 2011 (which was actually brewed in 2009 I think). Just wondering if it's gotten any better with time.

32. SpecialAgentDaleCooper

SpecialAgentDaleCooper Aug 27, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

This is great to hear. Whenever someone says "Jamaica Blue Mountain" or "Kona Island" or "Kopi Luwak," I absolutely shudder. Those "varietals/origins/methods" are usually horrible and poor representations of what coffee can and should be. Very rarely are those types of coffee anything more than gimmicks. I'm glad to hear that the process of selecting a coffee for this beer was less about the gimmick and name recognition and more about what the coffee had to offer the beer.

whalewatchin likes this.
  33. whalewatchin

Beer Trader

Thanks for taking the time to read it!

Yes! No gimmicks or fancy sorcery here. Just straight hard work, and R&D. The process took a while, but was definitely necessary to ensure a delicious final product that adheres to the high quality standard Alesmith is known for. Hope you like it!

Cheers!

34. james582

james582 Jun 20, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Really looking forward to trying this. Seems like a lot of thought and hard work went into this.

whalewatchin likes this.
  35. dcbullet

dcbullet Dec 18, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I liked the BA Wee Heavy a lot. The JBM Speedway is very good, but I'm not sure my pallet could really tell that is was that much better than the regular speedway. I should have tried them side by side. For sure it has a very strong coffee profile.

whalewatchin and joelbarish like this.
  36. ryno09

ryno09 May 1, 2010 California

Tried this and BA Wee Heavy last night. Both are awesome.

whalewatchin and joelbarish like this.
  37. ubiq3000

ubiq3000 Dec 6, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

How would this compare to the other one-off Kopi Luwak Speedway?

38. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo May 18, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

39. HeavySpeedway

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe