Jamil Zainasheff fired from Heretic Brewing

Discussion in 'US - West' started by unlikelyspiderperson, Jun 21, 2022.

1. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,078) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

ChicagoJ likes this.
  2. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,668) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

woemad, John_M, jakecattleco and 5 others like this.
  3. riko

riko Initiate (118) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

I saw that earlier and a quick Google search showed that Jamil sold the majority stake in Heretic due in part to some health issues. I hope he's OK.

When I still home-brewed, I brewed Jamil's recipes and listened to his podcasts and stuff. When Heretic opened, I was excited to try the beers. I think I had one beer the first year and though it was so-so, and haven't had one since. I'm not sure Heretic is even distributed in San Diego; I never see (or at least notice) it.

Anyone tried their beers? How are they? What are they best at?

4. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Wow! That sucks. I would always drop in there when I would visit my old stomping grounds. Was never overly impressed with the beer, nor the people, but I wanted to pay homage to a brewer who's insights helped me grow as a brewer.

5. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

I felt like the darker beers were better from them. His Evil Twin Red IPA, the Shallow Grave Porter, and a beer they brewed that was a riff on a Flander's Red. Was never a huge fan of his lighter beers or IPAs.

6. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,078) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I tried some when they started distribution up here a couple years ago. They made a California IPA that was a very solid choice for a simple west coast ipa. Everything else that came up our way was juicy/hazy, which is pretty much never what I'm looking for. Back in the bomber days I used to drink a lot of evil twin and really enjoyed it

7. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,654) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

ChicagoJ likes this.
  8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,561) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

A few weeks ago I watched a podcast with Jamil (see below) where I learned that he sold Heretic Brewing (to my surprise). I would encourage others who are fans of Jamil (like me) to watch the entire podcast. I suspect that Jamil will have other 'ventures' to keep him busy such as brewing a killer English Bitter Ale (which I will be doing in another week or so when my homebrewed Bitter Ale completes bottle conditioning).

Cheers to Jamil!

SFACRKnight and ChicagoJ like this.
  9. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (885) Dec 3, 2014 California

Sad. When I really started getting into craft in around 2013, Heretic was one of my go to beers. Could not beat a sandwich at Zanattos + Shallow Grave, Evil Twin, Evil Cousin... Great stuff. Haven't had as much since I moved south and it's just not as common down in SD liquor stores.

10. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,823) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

I am not a home brewer (my middle brother is, brews good beers), but found out about Jamil and Heretic via @jzainasheff 's Q & A linked by @elNopalero . Really liked Jamil's responses and passion, and I was very glad to see Heretic here on the shelves shortly thereafter.

Evil 3 is an outstanding Triple IPA, and I also thought Caramel Moo'chiato (Milk Stout) was excellent. Also thought their Chocolate Hazelnut Porter and Haze Make America Juicy Again are good beers. I wish we would have gotten more traditional styles by Heretic here. I have seen the Haze the past several months, was disappointed to not find Evil 3 here this Winter/Spring.

Hoping Jamal is able to follow his passions, whether concentrating on home brewing / writing / traveling, working for, or opening a new commercial brewery.

Also, in his tweet about the sale last November, he stated his wife Liz also worked at the brewery, so hoping she also wasn't part of the "cost cutting" if she wanted to continue there after this.

November, 2021:

[​IMG]

Craft Beverage Cooperative is based out of Scottsdale, Arizona. This is the business which purchased Heretic last year, and purchased Moab Brewing located outside of Arches NP in 2019.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/craft-beverage-cooperative

11. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151 Aspirant (266) Jul 25, 2010 California
    Trader

Most Grocery stores in Sacramento and Roseville selling a TON of Heretic canned cocktail type drinks.

I see those maybe more than even the MAJA hazy series.

http://hereticbrewing.com/distillery/

[​IMG]

ChicagoJ likes this.
  12. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,201) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

This is my take as well. I really liked their Goo IRS, and thought the shallow grave porter was OK. We never did seem to see much of their beer up here in PDX, but what I tried otherwise was nothing special.

The Goo was so good, I was highly motivated initially to seek out their beer.

#12 John_M, Jun 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    ChicagoJ likes this.
  13. ryno09

ryno09 Aspirant (209) May 1, 2010 California

They were in San Diego for awhile early on (maybe distro through Stone?) but have long been out of the market.

riko and ChicagoJ like this.
  14. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (157) Feb 25, 2013 California

holy crap this is crazy. He *was* Heretic. He probably should have insisted on an employment contract when he sold his interest. I'm sure he'll get some job offers though.

I agree with others that his beers were fairly hit and miss. Some of the small batches only offered at the brewery were very interesting. He never really followed suit with more current West Coast beer trends, though I didn't know they got into the seltzer game. Their brewery often had a long wait to get a table. I wonder where Heretic goes from here.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  15. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151 Aspirant (266) Jul 25, 2010 California
    Trader

See my post above. They are doing best with ready to drink CANNED COCKTAILS (Lemon Drop, Hurricane, ect). Also Vodka and Gin. They have a Distillery. This is not Seltzers.

http://hereticbrewing.com/distillery/

ChicagoJ likes this.
  16. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (157) Feb 25, 2013 California

I know there's a lack in info about this.......but could we read it as the hostile takeover is to ditch beer and chase a fad we all know is temporary? I'm a little bitter about this.

ChicagoJ likes this.