Japan's Asahi considering full-scale push into North America beer market

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Aug 20, 2022.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,698) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

https://www.reuters.com/markets/com...nto-north-america-beer-market-ceo-2022-08-18/

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,750) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

“Japan beverage giant Asahi Group Holdings Ltd is considering full-scale entry into the North American market,…”

I wonder how “full-scale” they want to get? Maybe do something similar to what Sapporo recently did via the purchase of Stone? Would Asahi be willing to go ‘bigger’ here and purchase Sierra Nevada?

Cheers!

3. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,155) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

First thing I thought as well. Sounds like their ready for some new acquisitions and how many multi brewery site brands are there ready to host a diverse array of brands that corporate wants to push into the market?

The question that remains is what the price is for SN

o29 likes this.
  4. moodenba

moodenba Defender (614) Feb 2, 2015 New York

They have Pilsener Urquell, which should be a real asset if promoted correctly. They have Grolsch, which was once a factor in the US, and Peroni, which is a niche product, plus the Asahi brands. They would probably want to brew their Japanese lagers and possibly Peroni and Grolsch in the US or Canada. I think they would want a lager beer brewery. The best prospect might be Boston Beer. Maybe they could take the Cincinnati brewery off Sam's hands.

5. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Devotee (451) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Every brewery has it's price if the price is right.
    New Asahi Japanese style rice IPA anyone?
    I wouldn't be opposed to getting ahold of Grolsch Bock though.

lionsharted likes this.
  6. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,531) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The Big 3 of Japanese brewing industry have always been difficult for me to keep straight - they don't seem to have a specific image or "personality" as it were, I guess, in large part because I never really drank any of them except at an occasional Japanese restaurant visit.

"Wait. Which one had the deal with Anheuser-Busch for contract-brewing each other's beers? Which one owns Sleeman in Canada? Which one invented "Dry Beer"? Which one is brewed by Molson for the US market?"
    (Yeah, I know, it sounds kinda racist...:grimacing: "they all look alike...")

So, lately I've kept a running list of which well-known non-Japanese breweries they own or have partial ownership of (*). It kinda looks like this now:

ASAHI– Pilsner Urquell, Peroni, Grolsch, Meantime, Fuller’s

SAPPORO - Anchor, Sleeman, Unibroue, Stone

KIRIN - Lion/Little World - New Belgium – Bell’s - Brooklyn* - 21st Amendment* – Funkworks* – San Miguel* (Philippines)

Updates/corrections welcome.:grin:

Barettes, Ranbot, Rug and 9 others like this.
  7. pixiesfanyo

pixiesfanyo Initiate (110) Oct 25, 2010 California

Asahi owning Meantime is interesting.

lionsharted likes this.
  8. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,531) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

One of the breweries/brands they picked up as the dust settled after the battle with the different European countries' regulators over the AB-InBev purchase of SABMiller. SABMiller had purchased Meantime in 2015.

Asahi bought Meantime and other SABMiller brands like Pilsner Urquell, Tyskie and Lech in Poland, Hungary’s Dreher, and Romania’s Ursus.

Bitterbill likes this.