Jeff O'Neil Starting Industrial Arts Brewing Co. in Rockland, NY

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by MichaelHatter, Aug 7, 2015.

1. MichaelHatter

MichaelHatter Initiate (70) Jun 29, 2015 New York

RobNewton likes this.
  2. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (222) Mar 28, 2011 New York

IMO the world doesn't need any more IPA focused breweries but maybe that's just the initial plan. Maltballs and Hop Common are some of my favorite Peekskill beers.

3. Drankenstein

Drankenstein Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2013 Kansas

That's an interesting name for a brewery. Can't say I'm a fan of their name, though I'm sure the beer will be tasty.

4. TheHopBrewKid

TheHopBrewKid Initiate (105) Sep 11, 2013 New Jersey

Totally agree that some of Chief's best beers were his non-IPA's. The man has a way with brett that very few others brewers do (Brut while he was at Ithaca might be his best beer ever, IMO).

With that said, I definitely don't agree that the world doesn't need any more IPA focused breweries. And that's especially not the case here in the Hudson Valley.

While Captain Lawrence kicks out their fair share of excellent IPA's, and obviously Other Half if we're considering NYC in this discussion, what we don't have a bit further up north is a brewery that's kicking out exclusively super fresh, filthy and dank hops like, say, a Trillium or Treehouse.

So, if that's Chief's plan, which it seems it might be based on his comments in recent interviews and appearances, then I say bring it on.

RobNewton, mikeburd1128 and mackeyse like this.
  5. 2Xmd

2Xmd Disciple (393) Apr 19, 2013 New York

It's a smart move. The guy has made some great IPAs and the cans will finance the brewery so other styles can be developed as well.

6. TheHopBrewKid

TheHopBrewKid Initiate (105) Sep 11, 2013 New Jersey

He sure has. The original Flower Power was incredible and very ahead of its time and Eastern Standard and Higher Standard are awesome beers. Shotgun Willie was killer as well, but I'm a whore for anything with Nelson Sauvin in it and I know that hop is a bit polarizing for some folks.

And I agree 100%. His plan is definitely a smart move and I'm beyond psyched for the day he opens the door.

7. ColdOne

ColdOne Aspirant (232) Jan 19, 2013 New York

I have no doubt that we'll see plenty of non-IPAs come out of Industrial Arts. IPA or not, however, I'm looking forward to all the new creations.

8. BarRoomHero88

BarRoomHero88 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2012 New York

I was hoping he'd open a little more north, towards me, but I can't wait for this. Chief is a great brewer.

malfunxion, RobNewton and cavedave like this.
  9. Nightwish1094

Nightwish1094 Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2010 Texas

Awesome news. I used to work in that complex. Too bad i no longer live in Rockland. Looking forward to trips home a little more now.

10. Soloveitchik

Soloveitchik Disciple (340) Feb 7, 2013 New York

I'm with you in Rockland...

timnyc likes this.
  11. jacewg

jacewg Zealot (561) Jan 7, 2012 District of Columbia

Always shocks me when people are mad at a brewery for focusing on a style that they brew well and happens to be the #1 selling style in craft beer. And quick to turn around.

Drankenstein, jrnyc and tikk like this.
  12. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (222) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I wouldn't say mad - just slightly disappointed that many new breweries focus solely on trendy styles lately. Makes me appreciate those that brew differently. Other Half bores me because they only brew ipas or barrel aged, SingleCut was interesting to me but now they have become an ipa focused brewery. Barrier, Finback and Greenport make great variety of styles.
    But I'm sure Industrial Arts will eventually expand styles.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  13. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (741) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Glad to see Chief putting a considerable amount of effort into the flagship ale (research and development), before opening prematurely; its precision, and most wouldn’t expect anything less from the man. Perhaps a solemn focus on IPA’s in the short-term, but I don’t expect him to solemnly focus on IPA’s in the long run; I expect “the pursuit of the ‘perfect beer” for a given style, before mastering a different subject.

In any case, my biases, hopes, prejudices, inclinations, expectations, and however else you can say one or two words more than once, are set high = I expect some serious work to come out of these hops.

#13 M-Fox24, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2016
  14. Billolick

Billolick Poo-Bah (6,574) Dec 20, 2003 New York

Giddy up...his beers at Peekskill Brewery were outstanding

15. mendham_mikey

mendham_mikey Initiate (56) Nov 11, 2014 New Jersey

Any update on this?

16. Vizualize

Vizualize Initiate (109) Jun 13, 2014 New York

Lots of updates on the Industrial Arts Brewing FB page.

17. mendham_mikey

ahh - dont have FB.. bummer

18. MichaelHatter

MichaelHatter Initiate (70) Jun 29, 2015 New York

They just started an Instagram, which you don't need an account to view:
    https://instagram.com/1ndustrialart5/
    The basics for the update are things are under construction. Their brewhouse is being made in Bavaria and looks to be done and has to be shipping across the Atlantic. They mentioned at the beginning of October that it should be in its home in 2 months. So to hazard a guess they could start brewing officially early next year, but there is no public timeline.

19. mendham_mikey

thanks for that! I am really anticipating this!

20. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,385) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

With Jeff O'Neil hop masterpieces set to hit shelves in spring I would say we are moving into exciting times for our area. How funny would it be to see Vermont folks traveling here to get beer?

RobNewton, ColdOne and GreesyFizeek like this.
  21. cavedave

Trader

Anyone notice they hired their first employee?

TheHopBrewKid and ColdOne like this.
  22. Macsimus

Macsimus Initiate (176) Feb 19, 2014 North Carolina

Went by the site on my trip back home for the holidays. I literally can walk there in 5 minutes from the house I grew up in.
    Looking forward to when it opens

RobNewton and cavedave like this.
  23. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Zealot (522) Jan 16, 2013 New York

Really excited for this, a nice bonus for when I have to go back to Rockland to visit family.

24. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (244) Mar 16, 2013 New York

Is it you?

25. cavedave

Trader

Haha, no, Mike McManus.

RobNewton likes this.
  26. SRBush1974

SRBush1974 Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2015 New Jersey

I'll be keeping an eye out on this brewery!

27. M-Fox24

Trader

I would like to fast forward 2016 a bit, then place on pause. Anticipation is killing me, let alone the other Hudson Valley shenanigans

...as of 24hrs ago

TongoRad, jkane101, GeoffreyM and 4 others like this.
  28. JoshVelez

JoshVelez Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2015 New York

Prematurely asking, but for those who know the area well, what's the best bet for someone traveling from NYC to get there?

Also keep a look out for Hudson valley brewing company, started by the dudes at brewery at baccaus, sour/ wild ale New England IPA focused brewery!

29. cavedave

Trader

Not sure how to go North to get there but Haverstraw is on the west bank of the river and I know I will be taking 9W south to get there.

Very sad to see J and Mike leaving Bacchus, but very excited to see beers like Pirouette, Dude, Neon, and Lilith on a larger scale of production at Hudson Valley. Hate to complain when Beacon is only fifteen minutes further from me, and they are personally training their replacements at Bacchus to make beer as well as they do.

ONovoMexicano and TongoRad like this.
  30. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,406) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

If you are driving, take the GWB to the Palisades Pkwy, and get off at Exit 14. Head east towards the river. Taking 9W all the way would be a pain.

If you are coming from The Bronx or Queens and want to take the Tappan Zee, just get on the Palisades from 87.

31. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Zealot (522) Jan 16, 2013 New York

Whoa, what!?? I've only had King Tut's Hat and I was blown away, hopefully this means easier access to their beer?

32. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,406) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

For NYC folks without a car, Rockland Coaches will get you there from the PABT.

RobNewton, ONovoMexicano and Kanger like this.
  33. cavedave

Trader

http://hudsonvalleybrewery.com/blog

Hopheadhiker and BltByKrmn like this.
  34. M-Fox24

Trader

Probably be beneficial to create a “Hudson Valley Pocket” thread, and include breweries from surrounding areas. Then again, maybe we shouldn’t be stirring up any more/too much commotion…shhhhhh? Super stoked about Dan Suarez little project, who previously worked at Hill. Even indebted his name on Convivial Suarez (Grassroots). Also worth mentioning his history with Sixpoint prior to becoming mates with Shaun

…looking forward to setting up camp at Evan’s new joint as well; investing in a tent and a new address

[​IMG]

---------

In an effort not to completely thread jack, C’mon "Chief" open up the damn door

2Xmd and ONovoMexicano like this.
  35. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,792) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

A bartender at Proletariat when I was there a couple of weeks ago said he was the brewer at Bacchus and would be heading to Hudson Valley Brewing. Jeff was his name maybe? I've been wanting to try the Bacchus beers and just missed a stout w/chile and chocolate at Proletariat while the guy was there (that's what got us talking Bacchus and he told me he was the brewer). Definitely intrigued by what I've heard from them and now more intrigued by Hudson Valley. Gonna be making a lot of trips up north in the future.

TongoRad likes this.
  36. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,792) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

What are you hearing about a tap room at Plan Bee?

37. M-Fox24

Trader

Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to the Plan Bee tap room. Nonetheless, my expectations are to rest up upon that cozy cabin, overlooking those treacherous tree tops, with some goblets of Royal Jelly, Comb, Karnl, Amor...

As to your earlier post, the Bacchus lad does work at Proletriot

Mikexw likes this.
  38. Mikexw

Mikexw Champion (878) Mar 3, 2014 New York
    Premium Trader

Royal Jelly is their most underrated beer....

M-Fox24 likes this.
  39. JoshVelez

JoshVelez Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2015 New York

JASON!!! is the dude that works at proletariat. And the stout was called holy mole and its 10x better then Mexican cake

RobNewton and dar482 like this.
  40. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (108) Dec 2, 2010 New York

Had Holy Mole at Bacchus last week, and my lord, could drink that forever.