Jeff O'Neil Starting Industrial Arts Brewing Co. in Rockland, NY

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by MichaelHatter, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

They had a core lineup that did not change for many, many years, most of which wasn’t that remarkable. The exception was their Imperial Java Stout, which was excellent and something I would pick up frequently. Still based on their name, brand and lack of competition, they were on every shelf all over the state.

With the surge of new breweries from the mid-2000s to present, they were eclipsed in quality, flavor and probably even sales (led by Marble and La Cumbre) and thry were slow to react and adjust.

They eventually responded by putting out a few more seasonals, opening new taprooms in Albuquerque and Santa Fe, and hiring a new brewer (I believe this is the gentleman that visited Interboro and IA and used to work at Sam Adams) and things have improved mightily. Also recently they poured a bunch of money into a new, expanded brewery and production facility. I am not there anymore to judge how this has changed the beer, or offerings but thry continue to benefit from their name and statewide presence (and occasional good new beer) to drive sales moreso than the beer itself. A lot of hardcore beer drinkers avoid them for the likes of La Cumbre, Marble, Bosque and other newer entrants to the scene.

Sorry for the long explanation/response. Haha.

TongoRad likes this.
  2. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

No worries- that's what I was looking for anyway :slight_smile:. Heck, I still remember that Marble Pilsner you sent me a few years ago, fundamentally sound with a real vibrancy to it, and I'd go for exactly that kind of thing myself if those were the choices available.

anfield86 likes this.
  3. ONovoMexicano

Freestyle Pilsner was one of their newer beers and for a while was really good, then suffered (like most of their core beers), when they started the major expansion. Perhaps with this new guy things have returned to their better quality and taste.

Damn, I forgot I sent you beer. Did we trade or was it a BIF? Man that feels like eons ago my trading days. Haha.

4. TongoRad

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

No, it wasn't the Freestyle, I was talking about the Marble Pilsner. You sent me that, their IPA, and some La Cumbre beers. And yeah, it was like 2 to 3 years ago :sunglasses:. I'm pretty sure I offered to send you something that you wanted ( maybe seen on WBAYDN?, it escapes me at the moment) and you sent me a Thank You box of locals like that in return.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  5. ONovoMexicano

Oh sorry, I don't know how to read.

Yes, Marble Pilsner is a fantastic beer and was an "Ol' Faithful" for me when I was out there.

I have to say, reading your review in WBAYDN has my interest piqued in the IPL. I don't care for the style usually as it is usually either an IPA in disguise or just not good, but I would like to see IA's take.

TongoRad likes this.
  6. TongoRad

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks! I hope you come across it and enjoy it then- but I didn't find the hops to be at IPL levels, though. A hoppy amber lager is the best way to put it, as vague as that sounds :wink:.

cavedave and ONovoMexicano like this.
  7. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,133) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Wrench dated 11/7 is drinking stupid delicious. Just came here to say that, and how lucky we to be able to just go into a store fridge and get this within a week of canning. I almost feel guilty for expressing publicly what a great thing this is. Cheers!

8. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

I don't believe I have seen Wrench in the store and not picked up at least a four pack.

9. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (1,142) Jan 19, 2013 New York
    Trader

Sadly it hasn't been refrigerated in Ithaca. And the cans I've seen haven't had dates on them... or am I looking at the wrong place (on the bottom)?

cavedave likes this.
  10. ONovoMexicano

It’s not on the botttom. On the side of the can nesr the bottom. You didn’t look very hard, did you? Haha.

11. MacMalt

MacMalt Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,658) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I've bought Wrench within walking distance of where I live and will continue to do so. And I'll continue to drive to the brewery (about an hour) to buy Torque.

12. ColdOne

Trader

Guilty! I got old eyes... I can only handle so much squinting.

Mrstiffington and ONovoMexicano like this.
  13. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,133) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I missed seeing it when I first tried to find it. It's actually easier to read than many of the bottom printed dates.

14. ONovoMexicano

By the way, Wrench> every other IPA in the state. It’s brewed regularly, easy to find, affordable, ABV is perfect, so drinkable, so flavorful. Just finished a 10/23 4- pack and the flavors I was picking up were a joy. Lots of honeydew/canteloupe, which I love in an IPA.

WheelsPSU, Rocktire, jkane101 and 3 others like this.
  15. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Pooh-Bah (2,421) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Funny but yesterday was the 1st time I believe I've passed on Wrench when seeing it myself. And i only passed because Sloop DDH Juice Bomb was available and it's the 1st time I've seen it here in NJ. If it's anywhere near as good as Wrench I'll be happy.

16. ColdOne

Trader

I'm so glad we're getting to the bottom of the Wrench date issue. Got some Wrench in my future!

17. IPAPolice

IPAPolice Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2016 New York

Torque is out again on Thursday

18. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,585) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

+ Eyes peeled on the imminent “Landscape” series…Black Lager

FonyBones, TongoRad and ONovoMexicano like this.
  19. jonphisher

jonphisher Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sadly I’ve never found the landscape series in south jersey. In fact metric doesn’t even get here any more. I’ll keep an eye out and be hopeful though.

20. TongoRad

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Without a doubt! This Wednesday, if I remember correctly. The Autumn Landscape was outstanding, and black lagers are one of my top styles, so I have very high hopes :sunglasses:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.