Jester King Brewery - 3rd Annual Funk & Sour Fest

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by mattchow, Sep 30, 2013.

1. wsnich

wsnich Apr 26, 2010 Texas

Where do kegs end up in Houston? I can't remember the last time I saw JK on draft.

2. nathanmiller

nathanmiller Oct 7, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Mongoose often has kegs of interesting stuff. They had Censored recently. Also Hay Merchant occasionally has LPP and I think I saw LPP at D&T once too.

3. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Apr 11, 2012 Texas

HM, MvC, and Petrol get Jester King. I'm sure there is more than that.

MvC had Cask Das Wunderkind the other night.

Side note, almost every beer at MvC tastes way past it's prime (Hopsickle malt bomb) or like they have dirty lines (4 Squared).

Could be a bad experience, but my friend's beers were all odd tasting as well. I hope so because A. They are less than a mile from my place B. Are a beer bar.

4. nathanmiller

Beer Trader

That's surprising to me. What beers did you get? I know they take good care of their lines (I've been in the back before to check out their system) and I also know they tend to only sit on kegs that are reasonable to sit on...

5. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Apr 11, 2012 Texas

He got the Das Wunderkind and IP8.

Those I could see being off honestly.

The Hopsickle was a malty mess (tasted like it was 8+ months old) and the 4 Squared was worse than 6 month old cans I've had.

I'm hoping it was a one time thing because it was one of the worst "Beer" bar experiences I've had.

6. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Jun 28, 2010 Texas

Yes. Nothing should change in regard to draft distribution in Houston, aside from the fact that it has already decreased over the last several months.

tx_beer_man likes this.
  7. nsheehan

nsheehan Jul 3, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Getting *more excited for Sunday, can't focus at work. Going to enjoy a bottle of Wunderkind when I get home!
    Working tonight so I can do DH tomorrow.

8. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Aug 16, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I've had Das Wunderkind on cask at HM and have seen black Metal there as well. It's been a long time but they appear occasionally.

9. imamonster

imamonster Jul 8, 2013 Texas

Has anyone tried 5 Stones? I'm guessing it has to be good if JK is gonna sell it, right?

10. Indytruks138

Indytruks138 Jun 28, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Zero was nothing special

11. HookemHops13

HookemHops13 Mar 21, 2013 Texas

If anyone isn't buying their allocation of Atrial please let me know because I want it!

GregSVT and mattchow like this.
  12. nsheehan

Beer Trader

I'll jump on this though I didn't want to. I'd appreciate people letting me know if you're not going to buy 'your' Atrial. I would like to attempt to bring it to a tasting in CA this December. I promise I will not open a bottle of Atrial B2 with fewer than 3 other people to enjoy it (and can show picture proof if you want it).
    Thanks.
    P.S. The Wunderkind (4/2013) was more wild-like than any I've had before.

markdurr and mattchow like this.
  13. Theortiz01

Theortiz01 Jun 7, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Just had some fresh Wunderkind earlier this week, and it was more wild-like, and was tasting Wunderful.

jesterkingbeer and nsheehan like this.
  14. nsheehan

Beer Trader

Really? When I've had fresh wunderkind it's sweeter and a bit thicker. More saisony like.

15. Theortiz01

Theortiz01 Jun 7, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Had some Tuesday at the brewery, and yes I don't ever remember it tasting that good, was definitely a bit more sour than I remember.

16. imamonster

imamonster Jul 8, 2013 Texas

Alright, I'm going to give this one last shot.
    Does anyone have an extra bottle ticket they'd be willing to trade/sell? I could offer up an Atrial plus some others.

BM me!

17. nathanmiller

Beer Trader

That's very sad to me. I love Mongoose and frequent it often. I haven't had such experiences.

18. HookemHops13

Just wanted to say screw everyone going tomorrow. I hope you have a horrible time. I am having my Funk day today in protest. Had an Atrial, Sumpin Wild, and now Lolita. While not as good as Atrial, the price per ounce plus the fact that I can go grab 10 bottles of Lolita right now makes it a nice substitute for when my Atrial supply runs out. #Superjealous

starkmarvelo and videofrog like this.
  19. mattchow

mattchow Jun 24, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

ill drink some atrial for you. :)

20. HookemHops13

Sigh... So this is what depression feels like.

21. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Oct 15, 2006 Texas

I expected there to be more live update/gloating posts.

I guess that commences tomorrow.

Also super jealous.

22. HookemHops13

Exactly why I won't be checking this tomorrow.

23. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Oct 15, 2006 Texas

I hope they all get heartburn.

Just kidding.

But not really.

24. KrokodilDundee

KrokodilDundee Oct 29, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

If anyone wants to trade any of their allocations for a 3F Golden Blend, hit me up.

25. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

How much is Lolita going for?

26. HopAG

HopAG Sep 22, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I'm going to bed, need to wake up early for that drive!

27. HookemHops13

18 cash at specs.

starkmarvelo likes this.
  28. berkshires

berkshires Apr 20, 2013 Texas

Late notice but has anyone seen how transfering a ticket works? The lady can't make it so I am bringing a buddy. Thanks all

29. wiingman

wiingman Aug 22, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Should be able to edit the name assigned to her ticket on the ticket website.

30. Brvn

Brvn Jul 24, 2008 Oklahoma
    Beer Trader

The only valid name you can change it to is "Brvn" anything else is null and void ill see you all in 5 hours I'm hopping in my car thanks Berkshire I am your girlfriend now.

31. squirrely2005

squirrely2005 Aug 26, 2011 Texas

I'm at a Halloween party and people can't understand why I have to wake up early to drink beer

nsheehan likes this.
  32. ldhughes3

ldhughes3 Jan 4, 2013 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

I'm up, getting ready to leave. Gotta pick my dad and some friends up and then make that 6 hour drive! See y'all there!

Compton25 likes this.
  33. ext1rpate

ext1rpate Feb 21, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Raining pretty hard down in Dripping Springs... Significant weather advisory and all.

34. ldhughes3

ldhughes3 Jan 4, 2013 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

quote="ext1rpate, post: 1838700, member: 570502"]Raining pretty hard down in Dripping Springs... Significant weather advisory and all.[/quote]
    This should make for an interesting day!

35. WTKeene

WTKeene Jul 13, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

I had trouble sleeping I'm so excited. I'll be on my way down from Dallas pretty soon. Allowing time for breakfast at what I'm sure will be a crowded Czech Stop. The weather won't bother me! My iPhone says that the rain is gonna stop by 8am, partly cloudy the rest of the day. We'll see.

36. mattchow

mattchow Jun 24, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Rain just started in Katy. Wee.

37. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Jan 10, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I am staying in a hotel 8 miles from JK, and it has been raining fit the past 3 hours, but has just now stopped...that should be the end of significant rain today, according to reports...

nsheehan likes this.
  38. Brvn

Brvn Jul 24, 2008 Oklahoma
    Beer Trader

It's going to rain forever everyone give me their tickets I can be there in a measly 6 hours.

39. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Jun 28, 2010 Texas

For everyone attending the fest today, we recommend wearing shoes you don't mind getting muddy. We had rain here overnight.

mattchow, AdamR46 and nsheehan like this.
  40. Durdz

Durdz Jul 24, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

My buddy missed his flight into Dallas last night, I won't be showing up to the event until 2ish now cause I gotta wait for his ass to land this morning....super bummed about missing the bottle share. Can't wait to get down there. Hopeing I won't have any issues picking up my bottles since we're showing up late.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe