Jester King & Ron Pattinson: Pattinson Porter

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by M-Fox24, Aug 5, 2019.

1. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (922) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

JESTER KING COLLABS WITH BEER WRITER RON PATTINSON ON PATTINSON PORTER

[​IMG]

Ron Pattinson visited back in March to speak at the brewery and collaborate on a beer. He brought with him a rare historical recipe for an East German Porter from the early to mid 20th century. These porters were heavily toasted, highly hopped, and brettanomyces refermented. As a take on this recipe, we pitched our mixed culture which contains several strains of brettanomyces rather than refermenting with brettanomyces.

Pattinson Porter was brewed in March with Texas Hill Country well water, Weyermann Munich, Caramunich, Carafa III, Blacklands Brownfield, and Liberty hops. We then fermented the beer for a little over 6 weeks in stainless steel. We bottled and kegged this beer in May and let it condition in its vessel for an additional 11 weeks.

From co-founder Jeffrey Stuffings:

“Working with Ron Pattinson was a real honor for us at Jester King. He’s someone we’ve looked up to for years and learned a lot about beer from. History can easily be lost forever, so we’re grateful for Ron’s effort to preserve it when it comes to beer. Ron is also one of the most entertaining and engaging people we know in the beer world, so it was a real pleasure to host him at Jester King, brew with him, and have him lecture on the history of sour beer in Germany.”

With the release of Pattinson Porter, will have a limited amount of Feral Dampf available. Feral Dampf is our collaboration with Local Option back in 2016, inspired by a dampfbier, another rare, little known, and practically extinct German beer-style.

Pattinson Porter has an ABV of 8.4%. It will be available by the glass and in bottles-to-go ($13/750mL). Around 1,700 bottles are available with no bottle limit. We anticipate distribution of this beer.

---

Pattinson also recently contributed to SMOD’s (Saint Mars of the Desert) take on an 1832 Mild Ale. Unfortunately, no distro here -

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,096) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

3. rgordon

rgordon Savant (959) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Will someone in Texas send me one, he said shamelessly?

ovaltine, cavedave, frozyn and 3 others like this.
  4. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,627) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Wow!

While we're at it, there should be more beers like this :wink:

5. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (713) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

This sounds awesome

I would love a bottle, my eyes are on the lookout

Enjoy

thebeers and Bitterbill like this.
  6. stevepat

stevepat Defender (693) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Awesome, love breweries like Jester King that push the envelope and respect the history. I will definitely ask after this at the one local spot where I sometimes see JK beers. And thanks and congrats to mr pattinson on this awesome undertaking

Bitterbill likes this.
  7. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (361) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Pattinson also recently contributed to SMOD’s (Saint Mars of the Desert) take on an 1832 Mild Ale. Unfortunately, no distro here -
    [/QUOTE]

And of course St Mars of the Desert is the new Sheffield UK brewery opened by the couple who brought us Pretty Things. I'd love to sample their stuff.

And I wish this Pattinson-Jester King collaboration were accessible to me as well.

I like reading Pattinson's blog. Edifying.

8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,678) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Yes! The Brett!

9. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,279) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

That's a sharp label. Dig the vintage look.

[​IMG]

#9 Jaycase, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    stevepat and Bitterbill like this.
  10. Spaten454

Spaten454 Disciple (363) Aug 23, 2012 Texas
    Trader

I'd buy a bottle just for the label.

11. eppCOS

eppCOS Savant (962) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Hubba
    Hubba
    Hubba
    Howdy...
    WILL SEEK.

12. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,605) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Can someone please add this beer to the directory? I want to add it to my wants!

13. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (1,967) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Done. Baltic Porter seemed the most appropriate style choice.

thebeers and AlcahueteJ like this.
  14. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,605) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Thanks. I wasn't sure what to list it under. It's in my wants now.

Snowcrash000 likes this.
  15. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (868) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I like the history and it sounds like a good beer too. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Maybe @patto1ro will chime in on the style choice?

thebeers, AlcahueteJ and cavedave like this.
  16. JackHorzempa

Society

This may be interesting! :popcorn:

Cheers!

FBarber likes this.
  17. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

This is obviously a pretty unique beer that's difficult to categorize but out of the styles currently available on BA, Baltic Porter certainly seemed like the closest match ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Bitterbill likes this.
  18. Ranbot

Society

I'm not criticizing the choice. I just thought Ron's thoughts on it might be interesting.

AlcahueteJ and Snowcrash000 like this.
  19. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Oh, he's the actual guy? Well, this should be interesting then :sweat_smile:.

Bitterbill and cavedave like this.
  20. Ranbot

Society

21. JackHorzempa

Society

I have my popcorn ready. How about you?

Cheers!

22. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

I'm certainly quite interested in gaining a more in-depth understanding of this historical East German style.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  23. JackHorzempa

Society

And that may happen too!:wink:

Cheers!

24. JackHorzempa

Society

25. rgordon

rgordon Savant (959) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Bitterbill likes this.
  26. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

We actually used to have a unique kind of Porter in Cologne called a "Knupp", which goes back to the 15th century and has been largely forgotten these days, although it allegedly used to be quite a popular alternative to Kölsch back in the day.

Freigeist Bierkultur, in collaboration with Against the Grain have brewed an example of it, as well as a microbrewery just outside of Cologne, which is quite good actually.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26850/336480/

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/53838/370048/

drtth, meefmoff, Ranbot and 6 others like this.
  27. JackHorzempa

Society

I just had to point out from your review:

“Great example of the style, as far as I can tell. I'll have this over Kölsch any day of the week for sure!:wink:

Prost!

28. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Sure, because Kölsch sucks :stuck_out_tongue:!

hopfenunmaltz and JackHorzempa like this.
  29. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, I am a fan of Kölsch beers so...

The 'good news' of this discussion is that you have motivated me to drink one of my homebrewed Kölsch beers. Happy Hour (Zeit) has officially begun.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

30. stevepat

Trader

Super cool articles and cool to see that Mr Pattinson got to be the one to help bring the style back

TongoRad and Bitterbill like this.
  31. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,678) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I reckon Ron is THE beer recipe bloke.

TongoRad and stevepat like this.
  32. zid

zid Meyvn (1,311) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

This is not at all a slight against the people involved in this (or the beer), but it’s a bit funny to have it come from Jester King - one of the most fanatical craft breweries when it comes to making beer that’s tied to their "time, place, and people.” No surprise that they are doing “a take” on the recipe by using their signature house mixed culture. That's what they do.

Having said that, I never have unrealistic ideas about fidelity with things like this and I'll eagerly buy any beer that Ron is involved with. I'll also buy the resulting beers when brewers simply take one of his published recipes, but it's clearly way better when the approach is so far in the other direction that they'll use his name in the marketing. Cheers Ron. Keep 'em coming.

33. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,141) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

I miss the Pretty Things historical series of beers. Those were all both interesting and tasty.

34. TongoRad

Society Trader

They sure were!

But I'm also thinking more broadly. Since there seem to be any number of breweries producing "wild ales" these days it's kind of disappointing to see so few takes on the brett/porter flavor profile. Especially considering its historical mass appeal.

Bitterbill and AlcahueteJ like this.
  35. stevepat

Trader

You might be able to find some of the interesting historical recipes that against the grain does or if Louisville. I've seen a few canned

36. JSullivan

JSullivan Initiate (28) Aug 18, 2010 Massachusetts

For the homebrewers out there, Ron sells several books with historic recipes. I have Let's Brew! I've done several old recipes from it and they've been really cool.

stevepat, LuskusDelph and AlcahueteJ like this.
  37. zid

Society Trader

Well, this came out not too long ago... and it's freakin' killing me (!!!) that I can't get a bottle of it. Driving me crazy. It appeals to me more than the Jester King beer. It's the second Pattinson / Goose Island beer (this one w/ Derek Prentice) - Obadiah Poundage, a blend of fresh and aged porter brewed with brett and brown malt made for the project.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dini...oose-island-historical-porter-0501-story.html

38. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,897) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Ron Pattinson is my hero.

Bitterbill likes this.
  39. TongoRad

Society Trader

Man, that sounds incredible too. If I ever was to commission a beer, I bet it would be just like that :sunglasses:.

Bitterbill and FBarber like this.
  40. zid

Society Trader

When I first tried to get that beer, I thought I'd get one for you too. Guess I had you figured out. :wink: As it turned out, I had no luck getting even one for myself.

Bitterbill, AlcahueteJ and TongoRad like this.