Jim Beam Encouraging Bored Beer Fans To Take A Break From Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by officerbill, Jan 8, 2021.

1. officerbill

officerbill Defender (603) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

AlcahueteJ, Trull, HopBroker and 6 others like this.
  2. traction

traction Devotee (466) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

I bet Jim Beam only put out a peach version since the peach Crown Royal was such a huge success. I'm not sure this is the best way to market it but I kind of got a chuckle out of it.

3. officerbill

Society Trader

Yeah, the bar patrons did seem eerily familiar :wink:

tone77, barrybeerdog, Argail and 8 others like this.
  4. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Meyvn (1,466) Nov 18, 2013 Texas
    Society

Whiskey has gotten too rough for me. Even my beloved Black Bush has been too hard to take. I'm getting old. Bacardi Gold and a Cuba Libre' would be more my speed.

5. Apathetiq

Apathetiq Aspirant (244) Sep 10, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

There is always room for a whiskey ginger... wonder if Beam will go as far as Suntory

Redrover, tone77 and Singlefinpin like this.
  6. beer_beer

beer_beer Devotee (407) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Not tempted to go back. On the other hand it was practically always neat. And now it's too late for me. Things happen. Beer wins anyway :beers: :+1:

#6 beer_beer, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  7. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,324) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

I'm all for drinking some whisk(e)y, but not Jim Beam lol

Hockey_Fan, mmalley, Junior and 24 others like this.
  8. dungledauf

dungledauf Initiate (147) Nov 8, 2005 Pennsylvania

Give Blanton's and/or Baker's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Single Barrel a try.

Junior, AlcahueteJ, beergoot and 4 others like this.
  9. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (119) May 28, 2008 Florida

OMG, when I turned 21 my poison of choice was 10 High, a nasty rotgut bourbon made by Hiram Walker. Must have been as bad as the hooch they used to transport from Walker's across the river to Detroit during Prohibition.

10. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,804) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

I like what I like. Beer doesn’t bore me. Whiskey makes me fat because I chase it with soda. I’m trying to drink. Not pass out.

beergoot, JimKal, Mvsmvs92 and 7 others like this.
  11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,833) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

It's all good. :slight_smile:

It is not exactly a bourbon but I am a fan of Woodford Reserve Rye Whiskey (with no mixers).

Cheers!

12. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,624) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Made me laugh, heavy ipa aged in goats milk.

But then, Bourbon and ginger? Should of ordered it on the rocks, to get the full effect. But overall I like the bit.

13. Todd

Todd Founder (6,200) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Bitterbill, LeRose, mmalley and 34 others like this.
  14. pbrian

pbrian Defender (686) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

It's Beam, you have to mix it! Ain't nothing wrong with a bottom shelf bourbon and ginger, but even if I'm ordering (or buying) bottom shelf, it's not Beam. Evan Williams, Old Grand Dad, etc...

Funny commercial though.

15. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,850) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Bore me? Beer? Nah...ain't gonna happen.

But do I also partake of other fine beverages from time to time? Sure do, but I'm not so sure I'd count Mr. Beam among them. :wink::grin:

16. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,863) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Jim, when you can make an IPA as good as some of the stuff I drink regularly, have your people get with my people. Until then, best of luck. I love you.
    - Hunter

17. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,616) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

If I had a hankerin' for a peach-flavored drink, I'd probably reach for the Southern Comfort. But if I did, I'd probably dump it into a brown ale with a few drops of pecan extract. Or something. But bored with beer? Never! We have 113 styles, with countless variations within those. There's always something new. And you can have your bourbon, too! What could possibly go wrong?

18. nc41

Society Trader

Bourbons tricky, price doesn’t always dictate quality. Really the differences in labeling could be as simple as a specific warehouse location, one known that temp and humidity changes things up a bit.

19. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,819) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Say it ain't so, Joe -- say it ain't so!

I'm not a big spirits drinker by any definition, but Black Bush was a favorite go-to if I was feeling my roots.

But it sure didn't take the place of my love for beer.

20. Providence

Providence Crusader (703) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

A $40 bottle of Basil Hayden is hard to beat.

21. nc41

Society Trader

Prices are all over the place, WT 101 is a nice everyday sipper, under $25. If I want a bit better Russels small batch is as good as it gets $55.

From there right to debauchery and Islay whiskies. Let’s ruin our taste buds to everything else. What goes with an Islay? I don’t smoke so a cigars not it.

Providence and Singlefinpin like this.
  22. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,080) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Can I just comment with a few emojis?

:persevere::confounded::nauseated_face:

:poop::-1:

Ozzylizard, dcotom and Singlefinpin like this.
  23. pbrian

pbrian Defender (686) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

And on the other end of the spectrum, I'll take any one of these:

https://delishably.com/beverages/The-best-bourbon-whiskey-brands-Top-5

There are many similar articles out there and most of these names always appear, for a reason.

JackHorzempa, Singlefinpin and nc41 like this.
  24. nc41

Society Trader

My Grandpop always had a bottle of Old Grand Dad on his bedroom dresser, always a shot before bed.

25. officerbill

Society Trader

Four Roses small batch is really nice these days. It's been my choice for about a year now.

26. nc41

Society Trader

My brother as well, I haven’t had it often but it’s certainly top notch. The only bourbons I don’t care for are the heavily Oaked stuff, a bit too dry and woody.

Singlefinpin and officerbill like this.
  27. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (782) Sep 15, 2010 Alaska
    Society Trader

Jim Beam Double Oak is/was my go to pool league dive bar bourbon. Regular Beam can kick rocks though.

Singlefinpin likes this.
  28. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (327) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I took a break from beer and alcohol for a while. When I decided to partake again I went with liquor because of the much lower calories/carbs and it was easier for me to portion; and my tolerance had gotten lower and I was in a good place, a drink or two and I was good. Fast forward to NYE where I drank just shy of a half a bottle of Jim Beam Devil's Cut without even realizing it. I had entire conversations with people, texted people (including an ex that reopened a door that should have remained closed), etc., and I don't remember any of it...the next day I thought people were messing with me and I would still think that if I didn't see all of the texts. First time in my life I got blackout drunk and that was some scary stuff. Everyone told me that I was surprisingly coherent and my texts were very clear and I was shocked going through them all the next day but damn that was bizarre...

So yeah may just want to stick to beer. And hey would there have been any other way to close out 2020? :stuck_out_tongue:

AlcahueteJ, jonb5, bsp77 and 14 others like this.
  29. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,458) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I will hold out for Hazy Jim Beam with lactose sugar.

AlcahueteJ, smbslt, AzfromOz and 5 others like this.
  30. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,202) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

So would a goat cheese IPA be a hazy? or a milkshake IPA ... or is it like some kind of sour IPA? I mean it does have lactic acid ...

31. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Savant (901) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

I forgot the question, but beer is the answer!

JackHorzempa likes this.
  32. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Champion (818) Apr 30, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Goat noises get me every time.

officerbill likes this.
  33. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,819) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Is this a yoga thing? :grin:

Rainintheface likes this.
  34. IceAce

IceAce Savant (915) Jan 8, 2004 California
    Brewery

Heh...beer is anything but boring right now, to the point that I sometimes protest some things are being carried a little too far.

...and all they did what to innovate their category? Add peach? How positively 2012 of them!

35. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,458) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

If Jim Beam put goat’s milk on nitro, ... I’m all in.

36. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,611) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

As a good solid whiskey and bourbon fan especially, kind of disappointed to see JB go down this route.

Do enjoy much of their products particularly Knob Creek, some more than others...

Spent more time with it before getting into beer simply because it was easier on my wallet. Bourbon used to be the big secret deal, now those days are long over. Bottles of $80 George T, Stagg ... that's history...

Much to enjoy in the beer world, it's even easier now and filled with so much good stuff I can't even keep up.

37. lastmango

lastmango Crusader (717) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

Could it be that they are changing their products and marketing because people are tired of their products? Beer is my go to. Bourbon and G&Ts are my alternates when I want something different. A good Irish is a treat. I am not going to drink more bourbon because Beam is telling me I am bored. Hell, I do not drink Beam now.

officerbill likes this.
  38. barneyrubble

barneyrubble Initiate (154) Aug 21, 2020 Colorado

Boilermakers!

I have one can of beer I am dreading drinking, yet hate to dump it. I will finish it off some day with a submarined shot of whiskey. But I have no Jim Beam, maybe what is left of some Evan Williams Black will help the "pour beer".

officerbill likes this.
  39. beer_beer

beer_beer Devotee (407) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

I still remember those 200ml Jim Beam bottles in plastic I had when wanting nothing special. Even kept an empty one for a while, as a memory...

#39 beer_beer, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    officerbill likes this.
  40. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,257) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Does this mean they are finished with their Budweiser Reserve Series?

[​IMG]

Jack Daniels was my entry level whiskey/bourbon in high school. Tried Jim Beam once, far too sweet for my tastes. Have had the above and a JB BA stout, didn't like either very much.