Jim Beam Encouraging Bored Beer Fans To Take A Break From Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by officerbill, Jan 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DokiDokiLitFam

DokiDokiLitFam Jun 3, 2019 New Jersey

I've actually been taking a break from beer recently. Not because of boredom, but moreso just venturing into whiskey for different flavor profiles and expanding the palate so to speak. Been watching a lot of Whiskey Vault and they definitely have me interested in exploring that sort of thing. Calorie count also makes a big difference and slowly sipping on a whiskey prevents me from getting sloshed on a six pack of 90-Minute. Looking to try Dalmore 15 some time soon.

cjgiant, Chaz, AlcahueteJ and 6 others like this.
  2. CBlack85

CBlack85 Jul 12, 2009 South Carolina
    Trader

I like to mix it up with a good whiskey, drinking Woodford Reserve right now, but Four Roses is my go to when I'm not drinking beer

Urk1127, mogulskier, rocdoc1 and 6 others like this.
  3. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Your right forget Pappy unless you have $3000 to burn, or Wellers, my wife couldn’t even find it when she was in Kentucky, Stagg forget it. I suspect distributors have their favorite retailers, and in turn the retailers have their favorite customers, when they receive they start making phone calls. There’s just not a lot to begin with I suppose, so when demand far exceeds prices then you have to pay. Bars in Louisville I’ve heard sell Pappy 23 for $100 an Oz. No thanks.

officerbill and ChicagoJ like this.
  4. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

I luckily snatched up as much 12yr Weller as it is one of my favorites when I could back in the day, now it's impossible to find.. although I have lucked out . But no longer, that stuff is already sold to customers before it even hits the shelves, and what is available a simple search shows northward prices of $300 up.

I remember buying bottles of that on sale for $35 bucks..,.

AlcahueteJ and nc41 like this.
  5. nc41

Society Trader

Year ago I found Weller 107 on the shelf, it’s was a good bourbon but my life wasn’t altered. If my wife can’t find it these in Ky, well .... the guy told her maybe in Louisville. But as you say they’re sold and never see the shelf and sold at a premium no doubt.

rocdoc1 and ChicagoJ like this.
  6. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey
    Society

I see kegged Beam highballs in Japan. It is not taking tap space from any good beers in the places that have it.

7. PatKorn

PatKorn Aug 30, 2007 Hawaii

Good to see J Mascis in a commercial

8. Mojo

Mojo Jul 21, 2012 Alabama
    Trader

I don't fool with hard liquor of any sort. Forty years ago I had a hangover that lasted for several days. It was intense and it was wicked. My roommate and I had been doing shots of bourbon. I don't know how many I had but it was substantial. I woke up with the evidence of regurgitation on the floor and the room completely trashed. I made a vow then to avoid hard liquor of any sort and except for a slip in 1995 I have kept that vow. Beer I can control, but I never again want to be that drunk or that hungover. Nope not even a cocktail when my wife and I go out. I stick to beer and then only one because I usually have to drive. My wife doesn't stick to one.

9. Providence

Providence Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

I wonder if this commercial might work in steering people away from beer and towards bourbon, but not to Beam itself. I could easily see craft fans who see this commercial thinking "You know what? I do want some bourbon." And then turning to their bartender/liquor cabinet and asking for a Makers Mark on the rocks. Ha.

10. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

You can find Blantons?

Luckily I still have a half bottle left, but damn, it’s hard to find these days.

Lucked into a bottle of Pappy 15 year and bought it at retail for $100 a few years ago. Still nursing that, another one that’s impossible to get.

nc41 likes this.
  11. nc41

Society Trader

I think we get Blantons here, git the horse on top? Lol. Years ago Weller 107 was on the shelf, but that was forever ago. I’d settle for Makers Mark barrel proof If I’m looking for a wheated bourbon.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  12. dungledauf

dungledauf Nov 8, 2005 Pennsylvania

I hear you. Extremely difficult to get here in Pennsylvania. It helps me when I check the PA Liquor Control Board website for their product inventory. Also, these premium bourbons are not stocked on the shelves and are normally found behind the cashier if available. You have to ask.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  13. BruChef

BruChef Nov 8, 2009 New York

That was the same flight Wade Boggs and Andre the Giant were on, right? Must’ve been one hell of a bet between them.

AlcahueteJ and ChicagoJ like this.
  14. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Oh we "get it", but it's hard to come by. As soon as a store gets it in it's gone, never makes it to the shelves.

Years ago you could get it anytime you wanted.

Our stores are good about tweeting out a release, but it's usually gone within an hour.

nc41 likes this.
  15. NYRunner

NYRunner Nov 5, 2018 New York

I don't drink much whiskey any more, but, when I went to school down south, Jim Beam was considered very good bourbon (of course, we also drank Heineken or Molson if we wanted something "fancy"). Did Jim Beam change that much, or did our tastes?

officerbill likes this.
  16. beer_beer

beer_beer Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

I don't think it's bad, more like macro.

surfcaster likes this.
  17. MarshallE

MarshallE Aug 7, 2020 Australia

it is not considered bad, however it is not among the best ones

18. steveh

steveh Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Maybe that's because Bourbon is really an "adjunct" whiskey. :grin:

@jesskidden

19. beer_beer

beer_beer Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Aged in new oak barrels. That's luxury.

20. surfcaster

surfcaster Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

These days bourbon is about finding the "good stuff" on the shelf. The recent Knob 12 was fantastic value in a 12yo whiskey. Four roses single barrel, 1910 all still fairly accessible and outstanding. One big surprise for me was Michter's sour mash at a gentle sub 90 and many complex flavors. EC barrel strength at 65$ a value and a solid 12yo.

Not surprised that Beam going down this route although the other Beam products--Bookers/Bakers/Basils are much preferable. Bourbon and ginger is so college football.

Currently in a dry Jan as a way to shed those holiday lbs, reset the palate.

cjgiant and ChicagoJ like this.
  21. steveh

Society

Isn't that part of the legal requirements to be called bourbon? But don't forget the charred step.

22. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

In my opinion J.B. tastes like pond water and kerosene.
    I love Booker's, actually my favorite bourbon, but something in J.B. tastes off to me.
    Same goes for Johnny Walker Red & Black.
    Good marketing ploy. Sounds like Chick Fil-A's eat less beef.
    Stick with your beer my friends!

ChicagoJ likes this.
  23. AzfromOz

AzfromOz Aug 22, 2020 Australia
    Moderator Society Trader

Is that where Wade Boggs lay unconscious on the barroom tiles?

The Boon story is supposedly corroborated by reliable sources, including members of the Australian cricket team. And we all know Australian cricketers don't lie...

Cheers

BruChef likes this.
  24. cjgiant

cjgiant Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Not sure if you'd be interested, but...

---

Ok, I didn't really introspect before, and it's not like the Beam ad did this, but...

I have gotten a tad bored of beer I can get nowadays (packaged) - as it generally falls into the one of a few styles, or has questionable aging. So, I am still enjoying beers, but to satisfy my curiosity, I've shifted.

While I can get mostly anyone's IPA (mostly hazy) or stout (winter time)nowadays, I can't get a lot of their other stuff. Before the pandemic, I would visit breweries (local and beercation-style) to get to try their "off"-styles and scratch that itch. Spirits and cocktails have filled that itch in the past few months.

Am I possibly the enemy of which more than a few beer media have forewarned?

ESHBG and ChicagoJ like this.
  25. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Hopefully in a few months you can do this again.

Cheers!

cjgiant likes this.
  26. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Entertaining little poke at beer. Made me laugh.

27. steveh

Society

Ever notice how these "little pokes at beer" only have one exaggerated perspective of the (world's favorite) drink? :rolling_eyes:

28. jeffdupree2020

jeffdupree2020 Sep 18, 2020 Oklahoma
    Trader

ive never had an "amazing" or "rare" whiskey so I haven't been spoiled I guess but I'm still not a fan of Jim Beam. Not sure why, just the way it is

ChicagoJ likes this.
  29. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Society Trader

I'm not bored.

beer_beer and officerbill like this.
  30. 57md

57md Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

I drink plenty of whiskey and a good amount of it is Beam (but, not the peach).

The regular white label Beam is my favorite of the "standard" brand bourbons. IMHO, their Double Black and Devil's Cut are top shelf bourbons at a discount price. The problem is that I am having a difficult time finding Devil's Cut lately. I hope that they aren't discontinuing it in favor of the shitty honey, peach and cinnamon garbage.

ESHBG likes this.
  31. Urk1127

Urk1127 Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

All the actors holding beers were funny as hell but how did they get away with that disrespect german shit? Lmao. Everyone knows that huff and puff are against the purity law.

officerbill and ChicagoJ like this.
  32. Tucquan

Tucquan Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I’m an occasional bourbon drinker; beer being 98% of my alcohol consumption. When I drink bourbon, I like it straight and barrel proof. My go to for taste and value is from the Beam Family. It is
    Knob Creek Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey at 120 proof.

ChicagoJ and nc41 like this.
  33. nc41

Society Trader

That’s a fabulous whiskey very refined for the muscle, I’m currently working on Rare Breed, love the bird bite and 118 proof. I love extreme, Rare Breed has a massive bite to it, hence Islay is another world as well.

ChicagoJ and Tucquan like this.
  34. Tucquan

Tucquan Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Yep. I have Ardberg 10 scotch in the cabinet. Talk about Islay smokey!

nc41 and TongoRad like this.
  35. nc41

Society Trader

Yea buddy, Ardbeg 10 is a smoke monster, it’s making my mouth water, I’d love some right now.

Tucquan and TongoRad like this.
  36. woodchipper

woodchipper Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I was trying to think of something clever to say on this thread but ended lame and factual...
    I have tried all other alcoholic drinks and consistently only prefer to drink beer and am not bored.

37. barreldawg

barreldawg Nov 4, 2015 California

I like to mix mine up... Thorogood style, but Jim Beam?

[​IMG]

nc41, MikeWard, beer_beer and 3 others like this.
  38. ESHBG

ESHBG Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

What part of PA are you in? Both are everywhere around me in the Philly area.

39. 57md

57md Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Just north of you in Allentown.

ESHBG likes this.
  40. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Feb 25, 2013 California

I've been on an IPA aged with goat milk phase and the hype is real

Reef and officerbill like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.