Jobs that allow you to drink beer at work.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerAssassin, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

Does anyone have a job where they are allowed to drink at work, if you do, what do you do and what do you drink?

2. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

mostly coffee and water.

oh, we're talking beer?

MC6, Mongrel, cjgiant and 2 others like this.
  3. jbdpsu82

jbdpsu82 Disciple (399) Aug 28, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

This thread is bound to make me very jealous, very quickly.

4. Rekrule

Rekrule Zealot (594) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

You are allowed to drink at every job....until they catch you.

cam12, beerluvr, RKing44 and 48 others like this.
  5. kraddel

kraddel Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2012 Belgium

i do ( sometimes) drink at work . i'm a bartender. in a beerbar . moslty i drink new stuff there,that i bring , so i can share with costumors if they'd like to taste things as well .
    no high abv's ( still at work .. ) unless for the rare times i did .
    if i take something i had, its mostly just a taster from draft . becouse i dont feel pretty honoust taking bottles ( than my boss pays drinks for me, he might not like that all to much ) .

mythaeus likes this.
  6. cmannes

cmannes Disciple (355) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota

What if my job causes me to drink vs. allows me to drink?

MC6, bmilt, djsmith1174 and 25 others like this.
  7. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Initiate (166) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

Anthony Bourdain gets to drink at work.

8. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (675) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

BeerAdvocate founder.

9. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Back in the old days when I was working as a cook in a restaurant, I worked at a place where as much beer, wine or sangria as you wanted came with dinner. You older northeasterners should remember this place. Anyway, since I was cooking the dinners, I was under the impression I also got all the beer, wine or sangria I could drink as well, brought to me by the servers who knew how to get it past the manager. I wouldn't say I was allowed to drink, but as long as the steaks were cooked properly and I kept up the pace, nobody bothered me. When the manager found out, he would bring me beer. Anything to keep me happy.

In fact, at every job I worked in the restaurant industry, if it wasn't allowed [which for the most part, it wasn't] some sort of drinking was at least condoned. There was one place where I was a bartender that encouraged me to have a drink, as long as a customer offered to pay for it.

confer and Johnnyhitch like this.
  10. Westuh

Westuh Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2012 Wisconsin

We get to drink at the liquor store I work at. But that is just samples when the Distributor comes in with Liquor Samples/Beer Samples, or when they have a brewery come in and do a tasting. Its limited till 6 or 7pm due to WI law.

11. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Poo-Bah (1,832) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Mine. We're all the time sampling new beers we get on the growler station and occasionally bottles that come in as well.

12. Todd

Todd Founder (6,698) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Not just Jason and I. We currently have 7 full time employees and we're all allowed and encouraged to drink beer as part of the job.

13. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,966) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Bastards.. All of ya..

Hey, need a Marketing genius on staff? :wink:

Geuzedad, alex_hart and azorie like this.
  14. msubulldog25

msubulldog25 Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2005 Oregon
    Deactivated

Do adjunct staff members count? If so, I'll be visiting the BA World Headquarters on my trip to Boston this weekend... :wink:

mythaeus and PapaGoose03 like this.
  15. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,811) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I work with the creative team in charge of Avery's packaging and imagery, TDA_Boulder. They have a full bar with at least 1-2 Avery beers and Spaten Helles on tap.
    The general opinion there is to make work as enjoyable as possible...and they do great work, too. They're also conveniently located right by Mountain Sun. I'm always jealous when I visit their offices.

16. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2012 California

In theory...I own my business and have a warehouse on my property. Nothing beer related, though I build machines that package stuff in bags. One company hired me to build a Vertical fill machine that would pack air tight bags of hops. They had to send me 100 lbs of hops to run through the machine until it was adjusted properly. For about a week the warehouse smelled amazing! Some were left outside and I would see squirrels taking them....

Though I do love machine work, I have had a beer or two while using my Milling machine.

TommyLiam likes this.
  17. adamgnoth

adamgnoth Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2012 Colorado

My current company used to buy the office beers every friday and basically let us stop working around 330 and just hang and drink. No one ever took it too far, but now they have pulled back the reigns and only do it on the first friday of each month. It's usually never anything amazing in terms of selection, but it's still free beer and we could always go buy our own to have higher quality.

18. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Beefsteak Charlies! =) I can drink at my job. I am a homemaker.

craigo19, mythaeus, lenbert and 2 others like this.
  19. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (158) Feb 25, 2013 California

breweries and wineries........

20. msubulldog25

msubulldog25 Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2005 Oregon
    Deactivated

Not me, but my wife. She left the profession about 3 years ago for something with more sanity, but advertising is a field you want to be in for on-the-clock beer drinking. I think every firm she worked at had 1-2 kegs plus a fridge full of bottles/cans at all times (usually local craft stuff, but one firm did have Coors as a major client --- so there was a lot of Silver Bullet, too). I think the general attitude is that beers "promoted creativity"... and also encouraged the designers and account execs to work those 10-12 hour+ days a little more willingly...

#20 msubulldog25, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    mythaeus, alex_hart and russpowell like this.
  21. IPAdams

IPAdams Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2013 Illinois

At Solemn Oath Brewery in Naperville you arent allowed to tip the taproom staff but you are allowed to buy them a beer.

22. bamarado

bamarado Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2013 Colorado

Working at a liquor store you get to try lots of new stuff, but not necessarily get hammered. Yesterday we tried Santorini's Crazy Donkey IPA, from what the rep was saying it's the only Greek IPA and it's only been in the country for a week. Not bad but too expensive.

23. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (12,426) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

That used to be the custom in pubs in the UK, it didn't have to be alcohol & they always appreciated it.

24. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (12,426) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I had occasion to eat lunch with some German Soldiers/Airmen (Bundeshwer (SP)) & they always imbibed. My chain command probably wouldn't approved, but I'd always have ONE beer with them...

confer and mythaeus like this.
  25. Todd

Todd Founder (6,698) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

We have no policy for mods and site editors, so you're OK for now. :wink:

26. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

You win the prize. But I was there in its original incarnation when it was Steak & Brew.

azorie and utopiajane like this.
  27. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

All beer writers, I imagine.

28. Providence

Providence Champion (821) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Three out of five days per week I work from home. I could drink on those days, but I have always been a business before pleasure guy. Sometimes on a Friday a cold one will get cracked in the afternoon. One time I caved big time though. Fellow BA SammyJaxxxx sent me a box of beers out of the goodness of his own heart. The box arrived on a day I was home. It was cold out, so the beers were all chilled. I opened the box up and immediately gave in to temptation by drinking a Terrapin Moo Hoo.

amp138, fishtremble, craigo19 and 6 others like this.
  29. DrewLikesBeer

DrewLikesBeer Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2013 Florida

The bloggers....if they actually eek out a living doing it

Alex_Mraz likes this.
  30. TommyLiam

TommyLiam Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2013 Arizona

Back in the day you could drink in the Marine Corps during lunch at the Enlisted Club and at mandatory unit functions or while traveling on rotation/deployment. Most of that, along with quite a few other cultural perks, is gone these days...

mythaeus likes this.
  31. azorie

azorie Champion (877) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

I used to have a real job, machinist in Houston, that after knock they had beer in the fridge. But you do not want to be drinking and cutting metal. I also did a 2nd job as bartender, which they hated us drink on the job, but since they was no management and it was before they installed camera everywhere we did it anyway. Still inventory control was very strict. So while we could drink (non approved) it was NOT free.:grinning:

So no I never been free to drink OTJ. Not a good idea to get hammered while working anyway.....

craigo19 likes this.
  32. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (384) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Once or twice a week a colleague and I will adjourn to the bar next door to our in the mid-afternoon for a couple of restorative pints. There's also a nearby bottle shop I like to check for new arrivals every week or two, and more than once one of my purchases has failed to make it all the way home.

This is the hardboiled, hard-drinking world of scholarly publications, Jack.

Mongrel and fullmetal1381 like this.
  33. SipIt

SipIt Initiate (183) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota

Work in sales and get clients that like to drink = drink during work hours and on works dollar.

craigo19 likes this.
  34. cwehr13

cwehr13 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2011 Illinois

Being a CO I dont think I should bring beer into the jail, on the other hand maybe confiscate some hooch from an inmate lol.

35. ToddThompson

ToddThompson Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2012 North Carolina

We have Beer:30 every Friday afternoon about 30 minutes before close of business.

bmilt and mythaeus like this.
  36. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Zealot (543) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

I work at a liquor store and we regularly taste plenty of stuff. Usually wine, lots of liquor (some good high end stuff) and not as much beer as I wish we would

37. Cjett

Cjett Initiate (81) Dec 20, 2012 Illinois

marketing :slight_smile:

azorie likes this.
  38. Ysgard

Ysgard Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2008 Virginia

In my side work as a Homebrew Shop Festival rep and shoptender, beer was often provided. Sometimes for troubleshooting homebrews, sometimes recipe dev, other times, fun.

craigo19 likes this.
  39. ColinStClaire

ColinStClaire Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2012 Washington

Gaahl gets to drink at work...

amp138 likes this.
  40. Jules11788

Jules11788 Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2011 California

I work at a Brew on Premise establishment and I can drink as much beer at work as I want. As long as I don't get drunk then it's not a problem, but if I drank too much and was screwing up then I'd probably be fired pretty quickly. So obviously there's a level of discretion that's involved when you're given that type of privilege.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.