Joe Canal's West Deptford Black Fri Bottle list.

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by eagles7251, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eagles7251

eagles7251 Initiate (70) Sep 29, 2009 New Jersey

Has anyone gone to this in the past? Thoughts? Looks like a pretty good list. Oh wow, that is strange, I was told they never received KBS when I inquired in-store the day it was supposedly coming in...

Black Friday Bottle List: We have one case of every thing except where noted. Doors open at 9amSHARP, first come first served. You'll need to be properly fueled up for beer shopping so the Guerrilla Ultima food truck from South Philly will be in the lot making breakfast. Here's the beer list

Dogfish Head Bitches Brew 3 cases
    Dogfish Head Immort Ale
    Dogfish Head Old School 2012 2 cases, 2013 3 cases
    Dogfish Head 120 - 2 cases
    Dogfish Head Kvasir
    Alvinne Oak Melchior French Monbazillac Barrels
    Alvinne Oak Melchior Makers Mark Barrels
    Innis and Gunn Gift Sets
    Stone Suede
    Stone 12-12-12 - 3 cases
    Stone Woot Stout
    Stone Old Guardian 2012
    Weyerbacher Althea
    Vicaris Tripel Gueuze
    Baladin Wayan Sour 2010
    Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel Cognac Edition 2011
    Robinsons Trooper - 12 bottles
    Founders Bolt Cutter
    Founders Mango Magnifico
    Founders Doom
    Founders KBS
    Founders Better Half - 1 BOTTLE
    Allagash Hugh Malone
    Allagash Merveilleux
    Allagash FV 13
    Allagash Fluxus
    Allagash Confluence
    Bruery Tart Of Darkness - 2 cases
    Bruery Oude Tart - 2 cases
    Bruery Bois - 2 cases
    Bruery Rueuze
    Bruery Smokin Wood
    Bruery 5 Golden Rings 2012
    Bruery Sour In The Rye
    Blue Moon Barrel House Chocolate Coffee Dark Hollow
    Goose Island Bourbon County Cherry Rye 2012
    Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee Stout 2012
    Goose Island Bourbon County Stout 2012 - 7 bottles
    MOA Imperial Stout
    LambickX 2012
    Brewdog Tokyo
    Brewdog Tactical Nuclear Penguin - 3 bottles
    Brewdog Sink The Bismarck - 3 bottles
    Firestone Walker Double DBA - 2 cases
    Firestone Walker Sucuba
    Firestone 15
    Victory Red Thunder 2012
    Victory Oaked Old Horizontal - 2012
    Victory White Monkey 2012
    Victory Red Thunder 2013 - 3 cases
    Victory Dark Intrigue 2011 - 6 bottles
    Sam Adams Utopia 2011 - 1 bottle
    Flying Dog Belgian Devil
    Kane 730
    Kane Apiary
    Lost Abbey Red Poppy
    Lost Abbey Angel Share
    Lost Abbey Saints Devotion
    Dupont Pome 1998
    Brooklyn Black Ops 2012
    Kasteel Trignac
    Cigar City/DeProef collaboration Tropical Triple
    Yards Old Bart
    Maine Red Wheelbarrow
    Rodenbach Caractere Rouge
    Stone Double Bastard 3 Liter 2 bottles

And last but not least ... TROEGS MAD ELF!
    We will be dropping a pallet of Mad Elf on the sales floor and limiting it to one case per person on Black Friday. We anticipate selling out very quickly even though we received 20 more cases this year over last. The number of Mad Elf cases we get is determined by the brewery -- and they base it on the total number of Troegs cases we sell during the year. Because you guys have strongly supported Troegs all year long through us, we were able to score 70 cases of Mad Elf this year! You should be proud of yourselves!

2. phooky

phooky Aspirant (231) Jan 23, 2010 New York

Do they really think Mad Elf is more desirable than anything else on that list?

3. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

So they basically hoarded all this throughout the year? Kinda lame.

Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel Cognac Edition 2011
    Founders Bolt Cutter
    Founders Doom
    Founders KBS
    Founders Better Half - 1 BOTTLE
    Allagash FV 13
    Goose Island Bourbon County Cherry Rye 2012
    Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee Stout 2012
    Maine Red Wheelbarrow

Is basically the only stuff that looks deseriable on that list. The rest I already picked up or passed over many a time.

4. BARFLYB

BARFLYB Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2007 Pennsylvania

Not a fan of stashing these beers throughout the year for this one day. I shop here regularly and it would be nice to come up on a nice bottle here and there. Not to mention most of these bottles have been throughout other Jersey/Philly shops, so most of the beer nerds have already had most on the list. Also, Black Friday is about getting a nice deal or a discount, and you know that is not going to happen.

CassinoNorth and ufmj like this.
  5. thampel09

thampel09 Defender (643) Apr 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

your not the only one. I was told by the lying dicks that they were only offered one case and passed on it cause "They didn't wanna deal with the chaos" ... not the first time i've been lied to by them. They also claimed they weren't getting those two new Kane releases in when they were on the list.

I live 5 minutes from the store and HATE IT. They are liars and douche dags here. Talk to every other store in south jersey and they all think its stupid to hoard the bottles away till black friday. And I don't get why the praise and warship all the mad elf they get when you can go down the street to a hole in the wall shop and buy it or cross the bridge to DE or PA and buy as much as you want from the mountains sitting over there. A good friend of mine from high school works there and said the two big Brew Dogs beers were bought by the beer manager 4 years ago and he has finally decided to sell them.. not sure how he can buy them into the stores system but this is what I was told..

Bottom line... I HATE THIS STORE AND THEIR ARROGANT EMPLOYEES WITH A PASSION!

Thanks for posting this! :grinning:

Streaky likes this.
  6. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

Yeah, one of the guys at my first bottleshare was telling me about this and all the great beer that he got because he went for the good stuff, while everybody else was preoccupied with the Mad Elf.

Does anybody know of other places that do stuff like this? I kinda wanna go to this, but doubt I would actually get anything that I wanted.

7. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

I would add (at least for me):

Brewdog TNP
    Brewdog StB
    Allagash Merveilleux
    Bruery Bois
    Bruery Rueuze
    Utopias 2011
    Lost Abbey Red Poppy
    Lost Abbey Angel Share
    Kane 730
    CCB Tropical Triple
    Victory White Monkey
    Victory Oak Horizontal
    Victory Dark Intrigue

dar482 likes this.
  8. thecommish101831

thecommish101831 Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2010 District of Columbia
    Deactivated

I don't get it either. Jay is a good dude. But I think this is just stupid. Especially since half of the list are getting dusty on shelves across SJ at stores who put those items out when released.

mikeburd1128 and thampel09 like this.
  9. mythaeus

mythaeus Crusader (762) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I've been to this store several times and LOVE it. The employees have always been very helpful and knowledgeable. They have some of the best prices I've seen, especially coming from PA. A lot of them you can do mix-a-six for an additional 10% off. I can pick up a 6-pack of Rochefort 10 there for $35.10 before tax. Lost Abbey Bourbon Angel's Share is always available there. Harder to find beers like Chimay 150 and BFM Abbaye Saints Bon Chien are usually available in quantity.

As far as "hoarding" rarer bottles for special sales, well, god forbid a business do things to increase sale and desirability, right? When massive number of people are out spending loads of money the day after TG, why not give them the reason to go to the business? At least this way, some people may actually get a bottle of Cherry Rye knowing exactly when and where it will be vs. random impossible chances.

10. myron317

myron317 Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2012 New Jersey

Has anyone actually been to this? I am not a fan of this practice but I may need an excuse to get away from my in laws.... And why not get a couple beers out of the deal escape. How crowded does it get? Do any of the other Joe's or other shops have similar events that I have somehow missed?

11. mani

mani Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2012 New Jersey

Wait how is releasing the beers on Black Friday different from releasing it when they receive it? Let's face it, we all know what week beers are coming out and when our favorite store gets their deliveries. Between distributor websites, facebook, twitter, etc the info is there. So now instead of it being very difficult to get a Cherry Rye when it can out, it's still very difficult to get it on Black Friday. It didn't change. They have one case then and now. I don't see how your odds of getting got any better.

12. Syracuse12

Syracuse12 Disciple (369) Aug 21, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

What about the hoppy beers they are storing? Pretty sure Maine wouldn't be too happy hearing Red Wheelbarrow is being kept in storage for over a month.

13. mythaeus

Trader

What people talk about here is basically putting rare beers on the shelf as soon as they get them. People can't plan ahead to be there as it would be random chances that they show up and CR happens to be there. Knowing that it will be sold on BF, hardcore fans can line up early and increase their odds. Now, if they held a special CR sale event and announce it all over social media/ads/et., then I agree that the odds would be the same as BF.

14. thampel09

Trader

Exactly my thoughts.

15. mani

mani Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2012 New Jersey

At least the places I go to, them putting beers on the shelf isn't random. When they arrive they go out. If they aren't on the shelves you ask they grab it from the back. Like you said, I plan on being there that day for bottles of the good stuff. It's no different than BF, except you don't get to have the beer fresh. As we all know the flavors change over time, so the BCBCS or the KBS don't taste quite the same as when they came out.

This isn't better, it's just so he can have an event. I have no issue with him doing it, I just don't see how it gives people a better shot at a beer that's all.

16. eagles7251

I am fine with a Black Friday event , I just dont agree with being straight up lied to. Just tell people you are holding it for Black Friday.

sandman3479 and thampel09 like this.
  17. mythaeus

Trader

The first time I was there, which was only a couple of months ago (after started this thread http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...-in-snj-depford-voorhees-medford-area.109815/), I asked an employee there about BCBS and variants. He told me they have a case of CR being held for BF. Maybe whoever you asked didn't know?

Being from PA, specifically from Philly, where prices are ridiculous and selections aren't exactly premium unless you're willing to spend an exorbitant amount of money (I just dropped $38 on a BA Old Rasputin XV), I'm really thankful for a place like Joe Canal's. I guess, it's all relative.

nuggetlover likes this.
  18. thampel09

Trader

I just don't like being lied to. Just tell me you are holding things for black Friday or provide some information.. Just seams like I continually get blown off when I spend a ridiculous amount of money there. Though I will say there are three people in particular there out of the many who are helpful & friendly.

eagles7251 and sandman3479 like this.
  19. InspectorBob

InspectorBob Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2009 New Jersey

Tell us how you really feel ......

20. BARFLYB

BARFLYB Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2007 Pennsylvania

Should i wake up early for this, or just wait until the master distributor for the area releases the 2013 4 packs of BCBCS to the surrounding package stores around West Deptford? Granted, the distributor may take a bit to get these out to stores, but they will be at other spots when released. I am guessing i will have to wait till black Friday 2014 for WD's allotment of 2013 BCBCS 4 packs. It's a coffee stout for god's sake, put it on the shelf, stop dicking around..

FatBoyGotSwagger and thampel09 like this.
  21. Syracuse12

Syracuse12 Disciple (369) Aug 21, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

I just had a 2012 BCBS Coffee and I thought it had a stale coffee flavor, like you'd get from a coffee purchased at a gas station off hours. I'd definitely drink it fresh next time.

ufmj and thampel09 like this.
  22. Chainnball

Chainnball Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2013 New Jersey

I have no problem with this. Gives everyone a chance to snag something good at once, instead of having to be lucky, or have a 'beer guy"

keanex likes this.
  23. RonfromJersey

RonfromJersey Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2002 New Jersey

Assuming you can be there the moment the sale starts.

thampel09 likes this.
  24. fdig23

fdig23 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2012 Pennsylvania

Just to clarify on bottle limits, there are none? This is what the Facebook responses specify. They seem to be relying on the assumption that people won't buy whole cases. Unlikely?

#24 fdig23, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  25. eagles7251

Whoever is first in line gets a case of KBS? Line up early.

26. Chainnball

Jay said 1 per person

27. eagles7251

28. HookemHoos

HookemHoos Zealot (518) Sep 20, 2013 Virginia

One 4-pack or one bottle?

29. Chainnball

I believe 1 bottle

30. RonfromJersey

RonfromJersey Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2002 New Jersey

Still not sure how this works. Can you get 1 bottle each from each case available?

I also don't understand the big deal about Mad Elf. Love the beer, but I've never found it hard to find.

CassinoNorth likes this.
  31. digdug1810

digdug1810 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 New Jersey

Really just want to go to get a FV-13 if possible : / imagine they only have 6-12 of them so would have to be early in line to gaurentee myself one which I'm not really committed on doing.

thampel09 likes this.
  32. CassinoNorth

It's not hard to find. I've seen case stacks all over NJ for the past month...they've deluded themselves into thinking it's some super rare beer that everyone would love to have 5 cases of like it's KBS or something. The reality of it is that they'll have probably 65 of the 70 cases left after this event.

33. ajfa531

ajfa531 Initiate (194) Jun 2, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

I agree that it's not a super rare beer and it's been available at plenty of other places for a little while. However, it is one of those beers that covers a few different types of people: craft-beer drinkers, non-craft-beer drinkers, non-beer drinkers. It sells. I imagine quite a few people will pick up cases, but probably not all the people lining up for Cherry Rye. The people who have come in over the last month asking for it and being told, "Black Friday."

That being said, I see you avatar and need to meet more Jersey people who love good beer and skiing or snowboarding. Found out that I can get a season pass to Stowe for $500 ($1600 off the reg price). You interested in slaying multiple facets of Vermont in the coming weeks/months?

- Joe

wonothesane42 likes this.
  34. nuggetlover

nuggetlover Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2012 Pennsylvania

Use this as your map.... I've been to the "event" the past 2 years. If you aren't in line by 8:15, you will be at least 50 deep into the line. You still might be, as there were definitely more last year vs 2011. Don't mess around with a shopping cart. Grab a basket and proceed (firmly but gently of course- we are beer lovers, not animals... Right?) towards the growler station area. They have a rack of the better bottles to the left of there. They also have a table to the right of th growler station that had some BCBSs last year that many were ignoring (not intentionally... Everyone was trying to get to the rack on the left. I had already completed my purchase and stashed in my car, decided to go back in for a final pass and found a table with a fair amount of the BCBS... Hello!) AND, the cases are stacked on thefloor on your approach said racks / growler station. If you can go with a partner to divide / conquer, that is your best hope to guarantee getting what you want. I've done very well with my acquisitions the past 2 years, but will taking this one off (wife working, no relatives staying over, can't seem to get a babysitter at 7am...

And don't bank on the food truck... It never showed last year and I was kind of cranky by the time 9am rolled around... Good luck to all who go in search of.....

ufmj and Northlax3 like this.
  35. CassinoNorth

I actually got the Stratton/Mount Snow pass this year that was $350. Splitting time between there and JFBB in PA then a week in Tahoe. Super excited to go out west once again.

Stowe is much closer to Heady territory so I may schedule in a day up there midweek too. Beer and snowboarding are the best.

36. Mcooly

Mcooly Initiate (193) Feb 19, 2011 New Jersey
    Trader

Every single bottle of Mad Elf was sold last year within half an hour. I know it's not super rare, but people go crazy over it. Nuggetlover is right too, half of the people in line stop to grab their case of Mad Elf so it gives everyone else a chance to grab some of the other stuff. I know everyone has their own opinion, but I believe this the best shop in the area due to the staff, selection, and prices. The growler station always has a good selection and they have some great tap takeovers. The black friday event is a good time and a chance to grab a couple of different harder to get bottles at the same time. Having some samples at the growler station makes shopping afterwards a little easier too!

InspectorBob likes this.
  37. Streaky

Streaky Initiate (109) Mar 26, 2013 New Jersey

There was an endless supply of Mad Elf at Mondo Mart in Philly that was still there last I checked in August. For all I know they still have it.

38. Chainnball

I was wrong. Sorry.

39. HookemHoos

HookemHoos Zealot (518) Sep 20, 2013 Virginia

So what's the limit?

40. CassinoNorth

I'll be driving down from North NJ for this event since I don't have anything to do til 2 on BF anyway. Hoping to score some decent stuff...god help me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.