John Laffler is leaving Goose Island to start Off Color Brewing

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by jdhende, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steimie

Steimie Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

You're right. He's a helluva guy. A true Beer Advocate.

2. Levitation

Levitation Aug 7, 2009 California

that's fair. as a dick-waving humblebragger myself, i gave him a pass, but i understand why others would not.

what is this nebulous definition of 'advocate' that he is violating? it's become the "no true scotsman" of the beer world.

if you had heard the story from the recipient of his generosity ("omg playaplaya extra'ed me a bottle of bcbcs" or "playaplaya heard i got shut out so he sold me a bottle at cost"), no one would be berating him. where do you think those bottles to trade / share / extra come from? some guy getting to the store before you / chadquest / whomever.

GrumpyOldTroll and redblacks75 like this.
  3. Treebs

Treebs Apr 18, 2011 Illinois

BreakingBad is probably so happy his other account is hated more now.

adamdd, Mjmoser, Bay01 and 10 others like this.
  4. Steimie

Steimie Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

For starters, a Beer Advocate wouldn't wave his dick around and tell others to try harder next time.

Look, I'm not interested in getting into a whole thing about this guy. If I heard him talking like this in a bar, I wouldn't run up and buy him a beer. I guess that's all I'm saying.

Cheers.

5. CheapBeerBuzz

CheapBeerBuzz Dec 20, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age.

cfrances33 and Steimie like this.
  6. foobula

foobula Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

I think it would help the craft beer community quite a bit if the judgmental attitudes disappeared. I've encountered some of the worst attitudes from well-known brewers, bar owners, and liquor store managers in Chicago. Yet they seem to get away with it because they are well-connected and everyone wants what they're selling. In the meantime everyone here is quick to attack someone who buys too many bottles because they make it more difficult to get the bottles they desire. This seems like misplaced energy. Firstly, blame the brewery for not releasing enough product. Then blame the supply chain for not observing true market price. Blaming the guy who bought extra of a scarce in-demand under priced product seems, pardon the expression, anti-American. And judgmental. And selfish. You don't know what he's going through. Maybe he doesn't have the wide range of friends you do. Maybe the relationships he has tried to create are not coming through with this cornucopia of delights that you seem to expect. Maybe having 8 bottles of Cherry Rye is literally the best thing that will happen in his life. Is that sad? Perhaps. But it isn't cause for everyone to get on their high horse and submit him as the worst BA ever. Maybe the gloating is just a manifestation of a real energy and passion for beer that's coming out in a way that happens to rub you wrong. Either ignore the gloating or better yet let the brewery know how you feel. And don't take your frustrations out on the beneficiaries of an imperfect, imbalanced distribution system by accusing them of being slackers/selfish/jerks/unworthy BA's/etc.

GrumpyOldTroll and redblacks75 like this.
  7. redblacks75

redblacks75 Oct 29, 2010 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Once again this "entitlement" thing has crept into our world.

Note: this has nothing to do with Laffler leaving GI, but, all of the hurt feelings in regards to Cherry.

8. GreenCoffee

GreenCoffee Jul 2, 2012 Illinois

I think a lot of it is not what you say but how you say it. Here, and elsewhere recently, the act of selling at retail is being trumpeted as an uber-nice act by the person doing it.

The implication many take (mostly due to the tone and nature of these posts) is sort of "Yeah I could use these to squeeze you by the balls but since I'm such a swell dude I won't." It's patronizing - like being patted on the head. No one needs to personally announce how generous they believe they are being.

By the way, I donated a bunch of clothes to goodwill recently rather than sell them. Aren't you impressed with how benevolent I am?

9. Levitation

true, but look how many people gave chadquest a pass (or even "liked") his post where he said this:

a lot of people brag here. it seems playaplaya's mistake is showing off and being a 2012 join date. he's getting slammed for actions that a lot of other ba's would get a pass on (or even praised for).

i agree with the "entitlement" comment. like i said, it's the difference between goandpickitupformebro and goandpickitupforhimbro. the only difference is that the "me" didn't get some.

and i agree it seems likely that breakingbad and playaplaya are the same guy, but i thought breakingbad's whole schtick was a crying jag about not getting enough bcbs, while playaplaya says he got too many. if they're the same guy, i'd call it elaborate troll performance art. he's not the only accomplished troll out of dekalb.

10. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Mar 4, 2009 Illinois

Huh?

All i ever implied was that his giving bottles away for cost was mearly par for the course, not actually an outstanding act of generosity. Getting bottles for a tasting group is cool, we all do it, just nothing that deserves a throphy.

I was SOOOOO completely outraged, i didn't even sleep that night, beer consumes me. Lolz.com

I didn't care that much when i missed out, i was a bit bummed but i really didn't have high hopes for finding one actually, that's the norm these days. I was hoping cool people got to enjoy those bottles, because i know there are infact cool people in the area, but that wasn't the case, and that bums me out, especially when i not only miss out, but the person grinds it in that i(and other cool people)missed out, because of them.

I don't feel entitled to anything, i get way more out of life then i deserve, believe me when i say that.

11. Levitation

fair enough. i misinterpreted your reaction then. and i agree.

i suppose then i'm arguing with the people saying "he's not a true advocate" or things along those lines. it has become an overused phrase to chastise anyone you don't agree with.

12. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Feb 19, 2009 Illinois

I dunno, I might need to see some pics for proof. Followed by retaliation bikini pics by someone who thinks they are luckier.

13. ChadQuest

IMO being an "advocate" in the BA sense only really relates to representing good beer to the BMC/general public.

When it is actions between beer nerds it is simply the character and quality of person you are. In case i wasn't clear, good for him on finding thoes bottles, and for sharing them with the people he did, good job i would have too, but bad on him for being a dick about it and saying no one else even tried cuz he is teh awesome!!1!!!! If only i was a smarter person who knew his secrets, i could be just like him! But i soooo dumb!

14. ChadQuest

That was seriously the first thread screen cap i was going to post once i got home in thread of the year. Give me an hour. <3

exitmusic00 likes this.
  15. Levitation

wait. you're upset at someone... for being a dick... to other people... under a possible alias account.

-_-

MarkIntihar likes this.
  16. lurchingbeast

I think it happened in 2011. Out of luck there.

17. ChadQuest

I thought it was jan of this year, i remember someone saying "thread of the year already?" we will see soon.

18. lurchingbeast

Looking at the screencap now. Assuming there was only the one screencap, there are no post dates or anyone saying "thread of the year already". Unfortunate. It would get my vote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe