Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Jubel 2010 going down hill fast

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by sprucetip, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sprucetip

sprucetip Nov 13, 2007 Alaska

Just a little FYI if you are sitting on any Jubel 2010. I have opened 2 bottles in the last few months and both were similarly degraded. I recommend drinking these sooner rather than later. It's already a pale shadow of its former self. At least the ones I opened were, and they've been kept dark and cool continuously since I got them.
    cavedave and GRG1313 like this.
  2. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Jun 7, 2005 New York

Have to agree. Most recent bottle that I opened (~1 month ago) was super-muted and kind of just uninteresting. Was really disappointed to find that this beer hadn't held on as long as the Jubel 2000 had...which, in my experience, was still drinking remarkably well as recently as a few years ago.

Kinda funny since there's a "best after" date printed on it (1/29/11)...really didn't give us as much of a window as one would have hoped.
  3. grumpy

grumpy May 24, 2005 Missouri

Yikes, you've inspired me to open one this weekend.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  4. Brew33

Brew33 Oct 24, 2007 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Totally agree. Opened one at a tasting a couple of months ago and it was nothing like it was in 2011 or 2012. I LOVED this beer fresh and throughout the first 2 years. Sad to see it head down hill. It's really not very good at all right now.
    sprucetip likes this.
  5. GRG1313

GRG1313 Jan 15, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

You are absolutely right on. This was one of the first beers where I decided that I was going to "jump on the aging band wagon" and I ended up with about a case and a half. I served several bottles at tastings and dinners and it went over wonderfully. It was a very good brew, aided in getting several of my friends into "vintage" and craft beer and it was going to be fun beer to age!

Not the case. I forgot about this one for several months while trying other things. Opened up two bottles the past couple of months and my experiences with this beer furthered my current feelings about "fresh is best" and the further opinion that some of us completely abuse the concept of aging. Folks, beer ain't wine! End of story! (IMO)

The past few bottles have been drinkable, but barely, and in no way indicative of their fresh persona. (This is why judging or scoring a beer like this fresh and a beer like this aged is most unfair to the beer and the original efforts and concept of the brewer).

Anyway, I've got about 4-5 bottles left having already given away a few. I'll likely give away these as well. I was hoping for bottle variation when I opened the first oxidized bottle - not the case. Several of these (also perfectly stored from date of release) are simply over the hill in my opinion.
    vurt and black13 like this.
  6. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I had one fresh and one at the one year mark and thought it was already going downhill in 2011. As much as this struck me as a good candidate for aging, it doesn't seem to do so well, and I can't imagine it being too tasty these days.
  7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Beer Trader

Me too.
  8. jedwards

jedwards Feb 3, 2009 California

I really enjoyed it in 2011 and 2012... will have to open one ASAP. Possibly also this weekend.
  9. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Amen. It's a shame since this was a fantastic beer in its prime.
    errantnight likes this.
  10. sprucetip

sprucetip Nov 13, 2007 Alaska

This is one of the first beers that I have aged that have clearly gone down hill, and relatively quickly for a 12% beast. Abyss is awesome with several or more years on it, for example. 07 I had last year was delightful. I reckon it depends on the beer.
  11. harrymel

harrymel Dec 15, 2010 Washington

Who cares? More importantly, in three more years it'll fetch porpoises. :cool:
    hiphopj5 likes this.
  12. hooliganlife

hooliganlife Apr 12, 2007 Missouri
    Beer Trader

This sucks to hear, will open soon
  13. Bitterbill

Beer Trader

I opened mine.

Still has some carbonation to it though the foam disappeared in a blink of an eye.

Thin bodied.

Taste starts off with that pinot noir barrel flavour, dark fruits, caramel malt..good so far..then tails off in the finish with some very noticeable oxidation. It kind of goes where a lot of English Old Ales go with aging but doesn't quite hang in there with them. I'm not THAT disappointed that I held onto the bottle this long, it was never that impressive to me fresh.
  14. AndresR

AndresR Jul 19, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Funny enough, I know the Jubel 2010 has been no good for while, and this past weekend I did some cellar rearranging. Pulled my last Jubel 2010 and Abyss 2009 (x2), just to pop, hope for the best, and 99% chance drain pour for this coming weekend.

Sucks because Jubel 2010 was so damn Good!!!! Deschutes, seriously WTF?
  15. Bitterbill

Beer Trader

I've said it and I'll say it again...if your 09 The Abyss are infected, mix it with a good IPA and there'll be no drain pour.:rolleyes:
    jedwards and AndresR like this.
  16. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels Nov 22, 2009 Maryland

Damn, just got a bottle in a trade about 3 weeks ago. Will drink this weekend.
  17. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Mar 29, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

It sucked fresh, so whatever.
  18. SeaSparrow

SeaSparrow Sep 4, 2010 Texas

I had one a couple weeks ago and didn't thought it was still pretty good...
    But I am saving my last bottle until 2020, out of principle. :)
    DJButters and jedwards like this.
  19. kscaldef

kscaldef Jun 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I've seen a lot of variation in bottles I've had over the last year, but over all I agree it doesn't seem to be holding up as well as one might hope. But, I'm also in the camp that's going to hang onto at least one until 2020.
  20. BiereBlanche

BiereBlanche Nov 15, 2007 Colorado

2010 Jubel got honorable mention (aka 4th place overall) at the Denver International beer competition, can't be all bad.
  21. mdfb79

mdfb79 Jan 11, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Looks like it's time to drink one of my last 2 bottles...plan on pulling one next time I go to my cellar.
  22. GRG1313

GRG1313 Jan 15, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

What years competition? It's one thing if the competition was in 2010. It's quite another if the competition was in 2012 or 2013! (And, if so, furthers the old adage that there's simply no accounting for taste! Or, to paraphrase, "one mans 4th place overall beer is another mans poison").
  23. BiereBlanche

BiereBlanche Nov 15, 2007 Colorado

That's from the 2013 competition a couple months ago
  24. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Nov 22, 2007 Washington

I had one last month which was still hanging tough and tasting good. A bit of the booze has fallen off as has the dark fruits but the wine barrel and fruitcake notes were still plentiful on mine. If you want to discard them please send them my way.
  25. brikelly

brikelly Apr 11, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Dayummm. I bought my one and only bottle in Fort Collins CO back in the day and have cellared it back east since then. Kinda forgotten about it in the back of one of my shelves. May as well crack it this weekend.

I'll never forget that day as it's the same day I first tried Supplication.

Yeah, you don't forget days like that too easily.
  26. JISurfer

JISurfer Dec 10, 2002 Hawaii
    Beer Trader

I've got a bottle of Jubel from 2008, is it crap or worth opening it this weekend?
  27. UCLABrewN84

Jubel 2010 is a different beer than Jubelale which I assume you have. There was no Jubel 2010 in 2008 obviously.
  28. JISurfer

JISurfer Dec 10, 2002 Hawaii
    Beer Trader

Yeah, that's correct, my fault. The Jubelale I have is actually 2007.
  29. youradhere

youradhere Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

I think you are referring to the regular release of the ~6% winter warmer, it is released every fall/winter. The 2010 Jubel they are talking about is a special release 22oz bottle ~10% "super Jubel", a brewers reserve series release that includes the abyss, dissident, and black butte anniversary series imperial beers.
  30. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Just noticed this thread, want to chime in where it's noted specifically, that I also have experienced some marked degradation of this beer. The flavors have muted, and some of the more drying notes in what always was a juicy beer are now pretty much absent, and the resultant flavor mix has lost vibrancy and has started not to play well with each other.

I am newer to cellaring beer than many of you all, and still don't know if it is true there is a "dumb" phase to some beers in their ageing process. Is it true? Could this current Jubel 2010 taste profile correct itself?
  31. brikelly

brikelly Apr 11, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I had mine last night, thoroughly enjoyed it. Not the best old ale I've ever had, but up there.

Of course I had never tried it fresh, but still...
  32. UCLABrewN84

You missed out big time.
    youradhere likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!