June Edition: What Homebrew are you drinking?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by frozyn, Jun 4, 2017.

1. frozyn

frozyn Devotee (474) May 16, 2015 New York
    Supporter Beer Trader

Permit a newcomer to start the monthly thread, but I'm quite excited to share my third batch, my first AG/BIAB attempt, and first attempt at a NEIPA. It's not quite bottle-conditioned enough, but everything else seems to be on point for what I was going for. Maris Otter/Flaked oats, 1318 at 66, taken up to 72 by the end, hopped at FO, high krausen, and then after OG was hit with Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy. Nice and soft with lots of mango/pineapple/passionfruit up front, with some more notes emerging as it continues to warm up. Excited to see how it evolves over a few weeks, because that's probably the maximum time the 24 bottles of it I made will last.

Pardon the mound of French cookies and candy in the background!

2. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (117) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Strawberry cream ale was quite popular tonight! Such a nice strawberry flavor but mellowed out with the vanilla beans. Will make this one again!

NiceFly, GetMeAnIPA, Buck89 and 5 others like this.
  3. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (479) May 9, 2007 Ohio

I have some good variety going on this month.

I have several bottled lagers hanging around from my heavy brewing activities this winter: puilsner, Czech dark, oktoberfest, and maibock.

Yesterday I polished off a keg of an ordinary bitter. I took the OG real low on this one, 1.030, and was rewarded by a seriously drinkable summer brew. Rolled oats in the grain bill gave it a body befitting of a higher abv beer.

I also started on a keg a couple of days ago of an Oat Brown Ale. Golden naked oats and rolled oats in this one, pretty low OG of 1.045. This one is a real winner. I'll rebrew again with a slight modification (uping the pale chocolate and reducing the extra dark crystal).

4. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Aspirant (273) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Brothers monster red, an alleged clone of the hop devil. Followed by the citra lager.

GetMeAnIPA, Buck89, frozyn and 2 others like this.
  5. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,599) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

Sensory comparison of two 8-day old cream ales, out of the fermenter, featuring 23% flaked maize and either 2-row or 6-row malt. And the winner is...

... it's too soon to say. Maybe I'll right up a complete description when beers are carbonated.

6. pweis909

Supporter Subscriber

Write. Write. Write! I hate when I due that.

marknu1, frozyn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  7. GormBrewhouse

An now a face plant brown, perhaps I'm goin down

8. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (488) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

My new session pale, “The VVitch” which comes in at 3.9% ABV… Approx. 35-40 IBU.

Grist comprised of Golden Promise, Munich I, Flaked Wheat, Oats, Vienna, Caramel 10L, Carapils and Honey Malt.

Hopped with Columbus, Belma, Azacca and Mandarina Bavaria.

Conan yeast.

You would never know this is only 3.9% ABV… The body, flavor and aroma is just awesome. Unique hop profile that has a slight bit of this herbal, dank/pine and finishes with a creamy, orange and citrus like note. Think Julius, which is what it reminds me of. Huge, huge flavor for the ABV!

[​IMG]

9. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (611) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Pale ale (NE style) conditioned on Mamey (tropical fruit) and dry hopped with centennial, Columbus, galaxy.

10. pweis909

Supporter Subscriber

Checking in on the Baltic Porter tonight. Not disappointed.

11. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (559) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Session IPA/pale or hoppy blonde, not exactly sure what I would classify it. I do know it's tasty and very drinkable.

Golden Promise, Rye Malt and a touch of honey malt. Citra and Nelson hops in the boil/whirlpool and all Nelson dry hopped.

4.2% Abv and 30 calculated ibus.

Wiffler27, Lukass, Mongrel and 9 others like this.
  12. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Devotee (403) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Drinking a NE DIPA that was a "happy accident". 70/30 Pils/Red Wheat grist (with 2 lbs. of dextrose in the 5.5 gallon batch) with equal amounts of Comet, Cascade, and Citra, fermented with Muntons Dry Ale Yeast. Smells and tastes like a sugar-coated red grapefruit.

13. GetMeAnIPA

Beer Trader

Drinking my first Rye IPA. Used Denny Conn's recipe as inspiration, just cranked up the dry hops and late boil while reducing the bittering. Lot all the rye in it.

Homebrew and building racetracks with my son.

14. Mongrel

Mongrel Crusader (757) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Man that sounds so good on a hot Friday at 4 pm.... Cheers!

GormBrewhouse and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  15. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Aspirant (270) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm also working on finishing a keg of session IPA. Weyermann light Munich, CaraFoam, and flaked rye. Fermented with London III and hopped with Comet and Chinook. Turned out awesome, and at 3.6% you don't need to worry about downing it too fast! The light Munich really helped prevent this from becoming hop water like most commercial session IPAs, some of which are over 5%!

Turned out a split batch of Wheat IPA as well this month. 60/40 wheat malt/pilsner malt. Half fermented with Mangrove Jack Liberty Bell and hopped exclusively with Belma. The other fermented with MG M42, hopped with Belma and dry hopped with Mosaic. The mouthfeel is too thin on both, so I'd likely try some flaked wheat or CaraFoam next time. What surprised me is that the Belma overwhelmed the Mosaic. The spicy, noble component of the Belma dominates, along with its unique fruitiness. I may be all Belma'd out after this batch. :stuck_out_tongue: I detected some diacetyl at bottling in the Liberty Bell batch. It has definitely cleaned up some, but I'm not convinced that it is completely gone. May be my imagination.

Next up is a West Coast IPA built around Maris Otter and Mosaic. I plan to round it out with some Comet and pitch WLP060, American Blend.

16. GetMeAnIPA

Beer Trader

Exactly! I brewed it for memorial weekend when it was warm and I was outside all day bbqin'.

frozyn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  17. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (153) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Ale made with 3 Yeasts-wlp011,t-58 and thames valley.

[​IMG]

Wiffler27, SABERG, Lukass and 4 others like this.
  18. GormBrewhouse

Starting with the raspberry hefe, followed by a face plant brown and rounding out the day with a citra lager

Lukass, GetMeAnIPA, Gsulliv2 and 2 others like this.
  19. pweis909

Supporter Subscriber

After laying off the Waimea pale ale for ~2 weeks, I've decided to call the beer NEIPA. The tangerine-like hops and the slight peachiness that US-05 imparts both support the juicy thing, and since US-05 doesn't like to drop perfectly clean, the lightly hazy orange-colored ale looks the part. And it's good.

20. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (367) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Current tap list:
    -Citra Pale Ale
    -Summer Wheat
    -Cascade/Chinook Pilsner

21. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Meyvn (1,084) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

[​IMG]

A smoked lager. I feel like I could do smoked beer all year round.

22. GormBrewhouse

Countess of Vermont dbl oatmeal stout, then a citra lager I will make several of these in winter, faceplant brown easy happiness and finishing with a blueberry hefe. It's the weekend

scottakelly, Lukass and FeDUBBELFIST like this.
  23. KCUnited

KCUnited Aspirant (213) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

6.5% IPA that I call The 6((0))6. Pearl, flaked oats, Wyeast 1318, hopped with el dorado and galaxy.

[​IMG]

24. jaredmull

jaredmull Initiate (143) Dec 26, 2013 Washington
    Beer Trader

Victory Homebrew! Cracking open one of my final bottles of my RazzHole Sour, 2017 National Homebrew Competition Gold Medal Winner! I won the Fruit beer category! Now I gotta brew it again cause everyone wants to try it.

25. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,083) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Subscriber

My Summer Saison with Roobios Tea and Rose Petals directly from the bushes in the back yard. Mild tea flavor with a hint of astringency, lightly floral, crisp, dry, refreshing. Great beer to have on the deck in the high 80s for Father's day yesterday.

[​IMG]

26. Lukass

Lukass Savant (923) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Looks awesome. Have you ever tried smoking your own malt? I brewed a weizenbock with hickory smoked malt in my meat smoker (fall 2015 I think?) and couldn't believe how great the beer turned out.

FeDUBBELFIST likes this.
  27. FeDUBBELFIST

Thanks!

I have yet to smoke my own malt but I would love to try that sometime soon. Got my eye on a big green egg, however, my neighbor has one so it's kinda hard to justify the cost :grinning:

#27 FeDUBBELFIST, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    GormBrewhouse and Lukass like this.
  28. marknu1

marknu1 Initiate (123) May 12, 2017 California

Drinking the last of my all New Zealand hopped pale ale. Gotta make this again. Darn :wink:

(This is my life right now. Beer and baby toys.)

[​IMG]

29. GormBrewhouse

Brothers blueberry hefe

scottakelly likes this.
  30. juablu

juablu Initiate (160) Jul 10, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    My take on the Averagely Perfect NEIPA

31. secondbase

secondbase Initiate (32) Jun 3, 2015 Tennessee

Tart saison fermented with the Bootleg Biology Mad Fermentationist blend. Dry hopped with Nelson.

32. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (1,505) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Supporter Subscriber

All grain apa with chico yeast
    Cheers all

33. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Savant (958) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

an extract Pliny clone from NB.

after I brewed it (about 2 weeks later I realized I made 2 mistakes: I only filled my fermenter to 5 gallons, not 6. the recipe was designed for 5, i was confused as to why my SG was higher than expected. and i didn't fully submerge my steeped grains, they were tied off to the kettle handle. OOPS)

[​IMG]

in the time that I brewed this and am now drinking it, I actually had a few glasses of Pliny during Philly Beer Week. this clone looks nothing like the original.

i chalk up the dark color and lack of head to:
    -LME
    -not filling my carboy to 6 gallons as per directions
    -not fully submerging my steeping grains (which included CaraPils)

The taste is actually good, nice and hoppy. lots of citrus and finishes with some real bite.

considering this was my first batch of homebrew in over a year, i'm actually happy with this.

Recognizing mistakes is good, I know where to go from here. I'll be back with something even better.

Also, some of the beers in this thread look fucking fantastic. Cheers!

34. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,083) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Subscriber

Yeast health and fermentation control are the 2 big culprits for the lack of head. The sheer amount of hops in that beer should be able to give you a sticky rocky head.

Wiffler27 likes this.
  35. OhBierdedOne

OhBierdedOne Aspirant (215) Dec 12, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber

Sounds delicious! How do you do the strawberry? I'm curious b/c I once tried a go at them with 2# throughout the boil, and 10# in the secondary in 5gal of session pale ale. Even w/prolonged aging on the fruit, I got very little out of them.

36. OhBierdedOne

OhBierdedOne Aspirant (215) Dec 12, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber

Raisin Rosemary Ryewine*

Pretty sure I'll sleep tonight, not sure I'll wake up tomorrow!

*also contains a smattering of citrus and a good amount of honey, but for alliteration's sake...

37. FeDUBBELFIST

Love the idea. How far did you push the rye in the grain bill?

38. inkman15

inkman15 Aspirant (215) Oct 28, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Two beers brewed for my friend's upcoming wedding, so forgive the "punny" names.

Hoppily Ever After: NE IPA (Malts: 2-row, white wheat, carapils, flaked oats, flaked barley. Hops: Simcoe, Citra, Mosaic, and Amarillo at 10 min, whirlpool, and 2 dry hops [before FG and at FG])

[​IMG]

Saison of Love: French Saison (Malts: Pils, white wheat, caramunich, flaked oats. Hops: Sorachi Ace and Fuggles. Adjuncts: Orange blossom honey and cracked black pepper in the boil.

[​IMG]

39. GormBrewhouse

Family up and it's flight night, citra lager, brothers monster red ipa, raspberry hefe, brother ipa , blueberry hefe, faceplant brown and finishing with the Hawian King IRS aged on coffee and nibs. Good thing there is 6 of us

40. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (153) Dec 25, 2015 New York

How did this come out. Neighbor gave me 10lbs of blueberrys and i'm not sure what to do with them. When did you add the berries.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.