Just had my first Founder's Imperial Stout....

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Jan 7, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BB1313

BB1313 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,278) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

FIS is awesome, but too hot when fresh, IMO. It's much better with a year or two on it. I also love the thick milkshake mouthfeel, which takes the beer to another level.

mmikey8 and digdug1810 like this.
  2. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

Abyss is actually a combination of barrel aged stouts, so I guess FIS is your favorite non-barrel aged stout.

3. booyahachieved3

booyahachieved3 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Kansas

Sadly I was out of town when this hit, and sold out of my local bottle shops pretty quickly. Founders has surprised us on more than one occasion with small restocks though.

4. Bonis

Bonis Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2010 Ohio

Like a couple others said, take a few and throw them in the cellar. I did a vertical last year and enjoyed the velvety smooth layers of chocolate and coffee roast in the year old version. It is excellent fresh though, especially if you love a real bitter imperial stout. I am putting 5 in the cellar this year, have 2 from last year. I think I will sit on those until I can do a three year tasting. I am hoping it does as well as Expedition.

5. PittBeerGirl

PittBeerGirl Pooh-Bah (2,299) Feb 27, 2007 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

Founders RIS is DEFINATELY my favorite between Founders KBS, FBS, and RIS.

Russian Imperial Stout is one of my favorite styles- and Founder's RIS is exactly what I think of when I think of the style- I find it to be good but it doesn't blow me away.

I had a similar experience with Stone RIS as you have with Founders

6. Derranged

Derranged Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 New York

I have a bottle of it that I bought last week, twas bottled in August. That will be my first time trying it. My expectations are not high at all because I had high expectations about Ten Fidy and was very disappointed. Personally I found Samuel Smith's RIS way better than Ten Fidy.

7. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky

Hot and thick in your mouth...that was a premise to a movie I saw once.

Buy yes, FIS>FBS. KBS>both.

8. Zuidman

Zuidman Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2011 Illinois

I recently bought a four pack that was bottled in 2011. It was on sale for $8. I have had one so far and thought it was awesome. Wish I had bought more while I had the chance. I was 9 hours from home.

9. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Zealot (707) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

I was tempted to grab a 4 pack of it, but I haven't enjoyed any other RIS I've tried (Ten Fiddy & Old Rasputin). I figure I'm just not a RIS kind of guy. On the other hand, Breakfast Stout is a gift from the Gods above.

10. dckepley

dckepley Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2006 Iowa

What's the right price on this? I picked it up at my local shop for $11.99. Next door at the grocery store it was $17.49! Which one is more accurate?

11. stayclean

stayclean Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2012 Wisconsin

I've always seen it for $9.99-10.99.

Also, it's surprising to hear how fast it's selling where some of you are. Last release I saw it constantly until almost summer. I don't think it's even HIT Milwaukee yet.. hopefully it doesn't fly off the shelves before I even see it..

12. Ivegotmule

Ivegotmule Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 North Carolina

Not a great comparison beer wise. But this imperial stout is def better overall and cheaper. Unfortunately I could only get a four pack as the total wine in WS only got one case.

13. Ivegotmule

I got my 4 pack for 9.99 in NC

14. Ivegotmule

I def prefer my RIS with a high ibu. Seems more balanced.

15. Alexmc2

Alexmc2 Pundit (784) Jul 29, 2006 New Hampshire

I think its a great beer. Fantastic. Went in for some Bolt Cutter, and left with this as a consolation prize. No disappointments.

16. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Initiate (0) May 13, 2008 Ohio

Might have to agree with you. Have been drinking BFast Stout for awhile now and heard amazing things about Imp Stout and I am incredibly impressed! Founders knows how to balance beers just right.

tectactoe likes this.
  17. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

FIS is a fantastic beer, I do not like it right out of the gate however. Give it a couple months and you're in business. It is a beer worthy of comparison to top tier Imperial Stout but it just does not surpass my personal favorites.

18. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Initiate (0) May 13, 2008 Ohio

Keep this secret to yourself as long as you can my friend. Word will get around quickly.

19. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

This beer is highly comparable to Zhukov IMO...while I like Zhukov slightly better, I drink this way more due to accessibility.

20. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2011 Wisconsin

Well he did say that it is his 1st time trying it. He is saving that post for next year :wink:

tectactoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.