Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Netherlands Just Moved to Amsterdam from New England, missing my IPA'S

Discussion in 'Europe' started by MarcBurkhardt, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcBurkhardt

MarcBurkhardt Dec 3, 2012

Anyone know of any IPA's in Amsterdam?
  2. Morningstorm

Morningstorm Jun 29, 2011 Netherlands

There are a few places you can hit up in Amsterdam, a quick list:

- De bierkoning (paleisstraat 125, get on a tram that stops at "Dam".) They have around 1100 beers in stock, there surely will be something that will please you.

- Beertemple (Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 250) just around the corner of de bierkoning, They serve like 30 beers on draft from America, Scandinavia, England and many more other countries. Also an impressive bottlelist.

- In de wildeman (Kolksteeg 3, a 10 minute walk from de bierkoning (or get off at Nieuwezijds Kolk, tram 1, 2, 5, 13, 14 and 17 stops there). Really cosy bar that has an incredible selection of beers and a really knowledgable staff.

- 't Arendsnest (Herengracht 90, 5 minute walk from tramstop Nieuwezijds Kolk). Selection of all dutch beers, really nice place to sit and enjoy some quality IPA's dutch breweries have to offer.

There are so many more places I can recommend but I think other dutch BA will fill me in.

3. Tut

Tut Sep 23, 2004 New York

Going to Amsterdam and complaining about the lack of IPA's is as stupid as complaining about the lack of 7 Elevens. You've got an opportunity to discover many great beers and beer styles you are unfamiliar with - grab your chance and expand your palate! Would you go to France and bitch about the lack of Big Macs??
  4. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Beer Trader

De Molen & Emelisse make OK local IPA's, not what your used to back home. The good news is the palate in Europe seems to be craving US style IPA's so many brewers there are beginning to brew them.
  5. doopiedoopiedoo

doopiedoopiedoo Oct 2, 2010 Netherlands

The grass is always greener...

Pun intended
    franklinn likes this.
  6. tendermorsel

tendermorsel Oct 22, 2006 Massachusetts

Take the train over to London and load up on some Kernel! They make amazing IPA's pale ales. In my opinion as good as anything sateside. They do a lot with NZ and Ausi hops which gets me going. I wouldn't compare them to a west coast hop bomb due to the different hops but I love there stuff. I am fairly confident that there would be bottleshops in Netherlands that carry the Kernel but since I don't live there I'll let some of the NL guys chime in on that.
  7. tendermorsel

tendermorsel Oct 22, 2006 Massachusetts

Ok.... So the Kernel definately sends stuff to the NL. Cafe DeRat in Utrecht has recently had kegs of the Kernel or at least it appears that way based on there facebook posts and the fact that I know zero Dutch:)
  8. rrryanc

rrryanc May 19, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

No offense, but that's a bullshit response. A well done American IPA is absolutely a world class beer, and worthy of being missed. Expanding your palate doesn't mean migrating entirely over to belgian beers, as good as they are.
  9. ImperialStoat

ImperialStoat May 20, 2009 Ireland

I agree. If the post was "stupid" it's only because he doesn't seem to realise the abundance of quality American-style IPAs available in Amsterdam. De Molen, Emilesse, Rooie Dop and SNAB are just some of the Dutch breweries frequently producing them (never mind the amount of imports, like Green Flash, Smuttynose, Stone, Clown Shoes, etc.)

Go to the Bierkoning, dude, near Dam Square.
  10. yinzer

yinzer Nov 24, 2006 Pennsylvania

So far the only hop forward beers that I've liked are the SNAP Pale Ale and De Molen Amarillo. All the rest, including the Beglians seem to be have much of an American BW aspect. Like a IPA version on Old Guardian.

Not to nit-pick but Dutch beers aren't Belgian beers.

I like mine with streaks of purple and red.
    franklinn and Morningstorm like this.
  11. rrryanc

rrryanc May 19, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

Fair point, I'd amend that to be dutch and belgian beers then.
  12. patto1ro

patto1ro Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

I really like Het IJ's IPA.
  13. Dennoman

Dennoman Aug 20, 2011 Belgium

IJPA is really good stuff indeed. The Jacobus Rye PA by Jopen is still one of the best in the style I've ever had. Delish.
    doopiedoopiedoo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!