Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Great Britain JW Lees Harvest Ale - label question/concern

Discussion in 'Europe' started by brees6221, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brees6221

brees6221 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2009 Western Sahara

I recently had a friend pick up a 1999 JW Lees HArvest Ale from a store near my hometown and send it to me. I got it today and noticed something odd about the label. The front and neck labels look fine, but the back label is the yellow/orange color scheme from 2000+. The bottom-left corner of the label was slightly peeled back and I can see the letters GREEN (Greengate Brewery) on what appears to be the 1999 back label. What the what?!?

Should I have any doubts/concerns about the contents not being 1999 JW Lees Harvest Ale? Has anyone else experienced this? I have another 1999 I'm going to check when I get home and will report back. I tried contacting the brewery via their website but it kept telling me my mobile number was invalid even when I entered a number using the UK mobile format.

[​IMG]

2. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Poo-Bah (3,102) Nov 6, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

I haven't had this beer nor have I seen a bottle over here, but the first thought that comes to mind is that the top label (orange) was placed over an existing label for export. The top label may have info on it that is a legal requirement in the states but not here in the UK. Sometimes when I buy a US import over here the distributor puts their own label on the bottle to provide extra info.

Though it's a bit odd, as I thought most Harvest Ale was exported to the states anyway....

3. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Poo-Bah (1,725) Jan 24, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Yeah probably just the export thing. Greengate Brewery is the J.W. Lees premises. Like how Fullers have the Griffin brewery. Plus by the look of it the orange label has the US health warning. The sticker might be because they didn't export as much in 1999?

4. brees6221

brees6221 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2009 Western Sahara

Thanks guys, you're probably right about the new label having government requirements.

Also, I just checked another bottle of 1999 I've had for about a year and it also has the orange label on the back; I just never noticed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.