KBBS is released December 15th, $100 for a 12oz bottle

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by BeerGlassesCollector, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerGlassesCollector

BeerGlassesCollector Zealot (553) Nov 11, 2002 Cyprus

$100 for a 12oz bottle! Well you better enjoy every sip if you get it...

It’s kinda funny when you think that Cantillon’s latest online sale included 3 x Fou Foune, 2 x Nath and 1 x Lou Pepe Framboise 2015, all 750ml (25oz?) bottles for $97.... for all of them!!

#1 BeerGlassesCollector, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  2. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,682) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

3. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,743) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Society Trader

I've had the beer and it's damn good, but fuck you TG!

4. deadsincebirth

deadsincebirth Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 Illinois

You know, you guys don't have to buy it? Right?

5. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (436) Mar 5, 2014 New York

Would be great if nobody does. I get the supply and demand thing but no way the enjoyment of that beer is worth 100 unless you won the mega millions tonight

6. BoldCars

BoldCars Initiate (28) Apr 5, 2018 Maryland

I'm pretty sure we all know that lol. Simply commenting on how we believe that $100 for 12oz of beer is pretty crazy

7. scream

scream Meyvn (1,359) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

a good reason to not be a TG fan :angry:

8. jwenig

jwenig Initiate (138) Feb 10, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

How long is TG going to continue to release limited stouts? Their new Brewery is huge. Production capacity has expanded and they have plenty of room to rack more barrel aged beers so why is the release count still around 1000 for KBBS? $100 for a 12oz beer is quite literally insane.

Can someone from TG explain exactly how they arrived at the $100 price point for their stout? The ingredients and the barrels they use are not special. They are not using Truffle Oil or some other expensive ingredient. No other breweries are charging this outrageous amount of money for one god damn beer. I hope TG is not considered a leader in the craft beer industry because I don't want other breweries to follow them.

9. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,303) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

It's only insane if there are unsold bottles. At which point they might review their pricing and adjust accordingly. As it is, I'm sure TG will be thrilled to get this nice little windfall.

Me? I wouldn't do it even if I did win the Mega Millions jackpot. I don't want to be known as someone who would pay that kind of money for 12 ounces of goddamn beer.

10. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,964) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Society

I am done chasing unicorns. Either I can buy it at my local retailer for a decent price or I don't bother.

BartS, ransom22, TheeWarPig and 37 others like this.
  11. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

I don't have a problem with the price. It is having to go to Iowa to get it that I object to.

BartS, Korymiller, DoIa and 34 others like this.
  12. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (653) Mar 28, 2009 California

This is funny.

hoptheology and OakvilleKGB like this.
  13. LarryV

LarryV Poo-Bah (2,208) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

The old small batch, artificial rarity scam. $8.33 an ounce, no thanks - I'll pass.

14. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,041) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I'm OUTRAGED by this blatant gouging. And if I can I'll take the opportunity to drive the 4 hours and tell them this on December 15th! :wink:

#14 bbtkd, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  15. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (331) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

That's crazy. And do you have to pay for the ticket too?

16. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,659) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I also decided awhile ago that I'm done chasing waterfalls.

17. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,184) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I've never been to Toppling Goliath or a big release, so I'm interested. I was contemplating doing a weekend beer trip after the marathon and this would fit that bill nearly perfect.

I need to flag Cantillon's social media so I can get in on those hauls too.

OakvilleKGB and FBarber like this.
  18. AlcahueteJ

Society

On a more serious note, is this the most expensive craft beer ever? (by a brewery, not on the black market, or even a retailer price gouging)

HorseheadsHophead and b-mc-g like this.
  19. AlcahueteJ

Society

That one beer might cost more than gas to drive there would.

OakvilleKGB and Harrison8 like this.
  20. Harrison8

Society Trader

This release comes to mind, although it's a slightly bigger bottle and it was cancelled.

Definitely not cheap or affordable in the slightest. Our holiday bonuses come in around the middle of December and I usually splurge on one item and bank the rest. Although I could buy two big bottles for onsite consumption at Side Project for the same price as this 12oz bottle. St. Louis is at the top of my list for that beer weekend except for its poor walkability.

21. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (484) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Yeah, I wouldn't even pay half that probably. NO beer is worth that much.

What's crazier is what it sells for on the black market... People are dumb.

22. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,567) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

What's really fucked up about this is that I reckon TG could quite easily simply produce ten times the volume of this at one tenth of the price. They'd make the same profit and there would be more to go around for everyone. They simply choose not to to maintain the hype train. Fuck those guys.

23. AlcahueteJ

Society

Went there last year, you can walk to some places, but there's also Uber. I also wouldn't recommend walking around too much late at night there.

Go to Urban Chestnut if you like lagers, awesome spot. And of course Pappy's Smokehouse.

24. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

I hope they can actually pay their brewers a living wage and provide them a work life balance as a result of this Blatant Cash Grab.

OakvilleKGB and meanmutt like this.
  25. DavidHume

DavidHume Zealot (570) Mar 25, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

This. The demand for KBBS vastly exceeds the supply at the previous price, so it makes perfect sense to adjust the price accordingly, and ensure that the people who value the stout the most will be the ones who can get it. If they sell out quickly, they may even have underpriced it.

m34josh, Benj68, TylerJ and 1 other person like this.
  26. ECOBOOSTINST

ECOBOOSTINST Aspirant (261) Jul 7, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

Please stick to the Rivers and the Lakes that you're used to.....:stuck_out_tongue:

27. BiddzzBA

BiddzzBA Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2018 North Carolina

No beer is worth that kind of money. Pass.

OakvilleKGB, b-mc-g, vurt and 2 others like this.
  28. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

$100 isn't bad. Sounds like price went down. Didn't it used to be $200 for a bottle? It's been #1 beer in the top 250 for fucking ever so to charge $100 a bottle makes sense. 3 Floyd's charges $50 for Dark Lord and although I've had neither I'm sure KBBS is much better than that. Sure I'd love TG to distribute KBBS nationally and buy the bottle for under $50 but hey just like Pappy if you have the gold mine liquid that a huge mass is after then you charge what people are willing to pay. And right now people are willing to pay $100, can't blame TG. All I can say is I was there last week and met the owners who were pretty cool and had Term Oil 18 and hard to imagine a beer better than that but KBBS is supposed to be. Well Term Oil 18 was well worth $10 for 5oz so makes sense to charge $100 a bottle for their gold. Cheers!

LGHT, TylerJ and Harrison8 like this.
  29. Harrison8

Society Trader

I believe last release was a box for $200, and the box included two KBBS, one Mornin' Delight, and a KBBS and Mornin' Delight glass. Considering Mornin' Delight is being offered at $40 and the glasses are $15 each on their website, this current release is a mark-up.

Pappy is another gold mine, especially for any retail shop that manages to land an order.

30. BenHoppy

Well then screw TG because the former is a much better deal and void my previous comment

BiddzzBA likes this.
  31. ECOBOOSTINST

ECOBOOSTINST Aspirant (261) Jul 7, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

It was with the Purple Wax
    It was the Purple Wax Assassin X2 and KBBS x1. The KBBS came in that weird round tube thing that looked like it was made of wood. All bottles for $200

32. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,567) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

User name checks out.

bret717 likes this.
  33. Harrison8

Society Trader

You were right. I mixed up my Toppling Goliath releases. See below.

So box set was two Purple Wax Assassins and one KBBS for $200, and then the release before was one KBBS for $200?

BenHoppy likes this.
  34. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

Nah. All proceeds go towards TG’s legal fees they’ve accrued from suing former brewers over non-competes...

ErrFord, JayWhitson, burlyb and 17 others like this.
  35. johnjohnbeer

johnjohnbeer Initiate (145) Oct 27, 2012 Ohio

This is depressing. No beer is this good.

BiddzzBA and rudiecantfail like this.
  36. KBlodorn

KBlodorn Aspirant (286) Oct 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Does anyone know which whiskey they use to age KBBS?

Also, Anchorage is charging $100 for a 375 of ADWtD Triple Oaked, but no one is talking about that, because you and I both know it's going to go down as one of the greatest barleywines ever made. Just like KBBS is one of, if not the GOAT. The biggest problem, IMO, isn't with the price, so much, as the logistics - getting to podunk f'ing Iowa. That's really expensive for one bottle that isn't even going to be on tap.

As an aside, people are more likely to flip their bottles when they can at least try it, which I'm CERTAIN is why it's not being tapped. They're daring you to sell it. Tickers gonna tick and sellers gonna sell though.. #maxprofitzzzz

37. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (345) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

The comments are pretty hilarious. Who's the problem, the brewery charging $100, or the people who will buy one and try to resell for $1000?

Neither- it's the people who will indeed buy this beer for $1000 on a secondary market.

The comparison to whiskey/whisky is not apt. There is a reason BTAC and PVW are expensive, it takes decade(s) to make, they lose A TON to evaporation. There is zero reason a 750ml barrel aged beer needs to be more than $35. Except that there are people willing to pay it.

38. BenHoppy

Yeah I thought that was the case

OakvilleKGB and Harrison8 like this.
  39. Harrison8

Society Trader

I pointed to the Anchorage release earlier, but it was cancelled initially. I haven't heard anything about it since, but I honestly haven't looked.

traction likes this.
  40. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (308) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I think my biggest problem with the way they are releasing is the only people it benefits are people who are planning to sell it.

If you've had it before, you're most likely not going to drive to Decorah, pay $100 for a single bottle of it.
    If you live in Decorah or the area, you're probably not paying $100 for it.
    If you haven't had it, it's really unreasonable to ask someone to go through all the effort, pay $100 and not even get a pour of it on release day.

It really only benefits the people who are planning to "invest" their time and money so they can sell it.

Radome, Junior, OakvilleKGB and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.