KBBS is released December 15th, $100 for a 12oz bottle

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by BeerGlassesCollector, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mig100

mig100 Meyvn (1,271) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

That's the TG way.

2. gibson584

gibson584 Initiate (114) Dec 11, 2010 Kentucky
    Trader

If you look at the time of the arrest it was actually early Saturday morning, so more likely this guy was stumbling back from a hotel bottle share.

kylenabilcy and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  3. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Meyvn (1,346) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

This is my “concern” for lack of a better term. Mornin Delight is one of my favorite beers ever.

Beer_Economicus and forum8417 like this.
  4. aljordan

aljordan Initiate (0) May 2, 2006 Indiana

Isn't it obvious that the limit is there to make sure there is enough to go around? If there are bottles left over, and no line, why would they not sell to who ever wanted whatever amount at that point?

In fact, they opened up the KBBS and Term Oil pours to who ever wanted them after the folks with wristbands were all thru the line.

forum8417 and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  5. kylenabilcy

kylenabilcy Initiate (102) Aug 10, 2010 Wisconsin

The good dude's checkins on Untappd stop precipitously on Friday night.

gibson584 likes this.
  6. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Initiate (95) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

TG is easily one of the most over rated breweries in America. Have had several beers from them and everyone of them has been a massive disappointment for the hype they garner. With all of the incredible BA Stouts being brewed today I can't imagine this is much better than the rest and at that price point for a 12oz bottle they can go fuck themselves.

7. 12ArmedGoon

12ArmedGoon Initiate (52) Sep 28, 2016 Kansas
    Trader

Okay.

8. TeeJep

TeeJep Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2016 Iowa

I'd be interested to know which beers you're basing this post off of. Not saying I disagree with you, just curious.

9. TurkeysDrinkBeer

Trader

Morning Delight, King Sue, Psuedo Sue, SR-71, Pompeii, Golden Nugget, Orange and Purple Wax Assassin, Mozee. Haven't had any others and honestly don't care too. All hype. Not saying they were bad beers but they were not even close to as good as advertised. Too many other breweries making stouts just as good.

FarmerTed and Nuts4Barrel-aged like this.
  10. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,858) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Ha! Objectively wrong. And I make fun of TG fanboys all the time.

ElmerLovejoy likes this.
  11. TurkeysDrinkBeer

Trader

You sir are entitled to your opinion and I respectfully disagree with it. Their beer imo is not worth the chase or asking price and is the definition of overrated. If this brewery existed in any major beer market they would be pushed to the side for much better options.

12. Hookstrat

Hookstrat Initiate (121) Jan 15, 2006 Iowa
    Trader

If you are out of market and the beers were "not even close to as good as advertised" isn't that more a problem with your associates?

Prince_Casual likes this.
  13. Gginger2307

Gginger2307 Initiate (29) Aug 9, 2017 Iowa

Did it really take 2 iterations of assassin, sr-71, and mornin delight to come to this conclusion or do you just drink obnoxiously expensive/hard to get beers from breweries you dislike on the reg?

Not implying your opinion isn’t valid, but considering loads of people are flying in from these major beer markets, the worn-out trope of “lol their beer doesn’t even stand out from *insert your favorite east coast brewery here*” doesn’t really hold much water.

Maybe they are overrated, but pushed aside in bigger markets? Cmon the folks are literally flying from bigger markets to Decorah, Iowa. Good beer comes out of all sorts of places, regional fetishism is the worst.

14. TurkeysDrinkBeer

Trader

I actually had both Assassins and the SR-71 the same day at a bottle share. The Morning Delight was the only one I actually sought out and was just as disappointed. As I stated before, not bad beers but they are in no way imo better than some others I have had. For what these beers go for on the secondary market or even in a simple trade I would expect a considerable hike in quality over what the rest of the market has to offer in similar style but they fall short of that.

15. Gginger2307

Gginger2307 Initiate (29) Aug 9, 2017 Iowa

Certainly. But any beer at those ridiculous secondaries is gonna be disappointing. But it’s not like these bottles are hitting liquor store shelves with a $200-1000+ sticker. Sold at the prices to obtain them (except maybe kbbs), it is fantastic, enjoyable, high quality beer. Once people finally start to realize that even the best beers on the planet aren’t mystically on another plane of existence from marginally less great beers, and that you’ll never get $1k (or a likewise lopsided trade) worth of enjoyment out of a bottle of beer, the obsession with whales might actually subside.

16. MRC711

MRC711 Initiate (82) Oct 22, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

I heard this about wine one time and I think it now translates to beer. Is a $100 bottle of wine 10x better than a $10 bottle. No. It's probably 2x better but if you have the money you're going to spend the extra cash.

eggsurplus and TCOlson like this.
  17. beerdedking

beerdedking Defender (616) Oct 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

No way I'm reading all the replies of this thread, but I feel had spending $26 on CBS for what seems to be a molasses bomb with little to no barrel. Love Founders but never again

18. TurkeysDrinkBeer

Trader

I actually agree with this quite a bit and its also a sentiment shared within my "beer circle". We have a particular rule for our bottle shares that I really love because it takes the hype and sticker shock out of the equation and lets you judge the beer for what it is. The rule is that anyone bringing a whale must cover the label before showing up and isn't allowed to disclose its name until the bottle is consumed. In these occasions its also customary to bring at least one other beer of similar style/flavor profile for comparison if you can find one. Some have lived up to the hype while others haven't. I think if more people tasted their beers blind they wouldn't have the same opinion they do about a lot of what is out there.

19. Chuckdiesel24

Trader

I’ve had quite a few coffee-maple-no-barrel beers and while I’ve really enjoyed a lot of them, MD is considerably better than 2nd place. Agree on Assassin, haven’t had the other stouts mentioned. Some of their hoppy beers are best in show one batch and then not so much other batches. Never had a FSM that wasn’t great though.

20. cl3

cl3 Disciple (328) Aug 16, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I feel like the stouts are way overhyped, but whatever. The Pales/IPAs however, are really good. Priced decently, high quality, and super easy to get if you are in their distro. Are there better beers in other markets? Probably. Do I care about how much marginally better a beer I can't get, from an another part of the Country is? No.

In short: I'm not chasing them or paying secondary market values/high trades, so I see the value in TG.
    YMMV.

It's fine for everyone to have an opinion. Sometimes, the right thing to do is to keep the negative ones internal. Otherwise, you run the risk of coming off as a internet beer troll.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  21. Chuckdiesel24

Trader

FTFY

Beardaxe and cl3 like this.
  22. aljordan

aljordan Initiate (0) May 2, 2006 Indiana

This is a fantastic idea!!!! Well done!

TurkeysDrinkBeer and Junior like this.
  23. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (345) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

And indeed in wine and whisky/whiskey, you can buy something for $50 and something else for $200 and actually prefer the $50 one.

It's not so easy to draw a monetary line for beer (especially since there are world class $12-$20 6pks) but in wine I'd say once you pass $30, and in scotch once you pass $60, once you find what you like, your "x2" multiplier is REALLY generous. It's all status, or "equally as good but different" if you compare an $80 scotch to a $240 scotch of a similar style.

Even is you use regular BCBS vs KBBS, there's no way it's 10x better... but you will probably get 10x insta/untapped likes, or get invited to 10x more shares if you are known to bring stuff like that.

Beer_Economicus, TeeJep and Jaycase like this.
  24. Raffish_Gent

Raffish_Gent Initiate (34) Dec 7, 2016 Minnesota

I'm not sure you entirely understand the concept of respectful. This modest puff of Febreze isn't covering what you've left behind, respectfully.

25. Vivs85

Vivs85 Devotee (410) Nov 29, 2012 New York
    Trader

Is the December ‘18 KBBS release batch #5?

Thanks! I’m in the process of purchasing one secondary but wanted to confirm that this one wasn’t batch 4 that everyone is saying is sub par

Cheers!

#505 Vivs85, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  26. Vivs85

Trader

Just curious - is this KBBS batch 5 or batch 4?

Thanks!

27. dbhammel

dbhammel Initiate (71) Oct 24, 2016 Minnesota

I believe this is the 4th batch of KBBS, there is no batch 5 as far as I know. The most recent MD release was the 5th in that series (and fucking delicious).

28. Jmonah3

Jmonah3 Initiate (194) Nov 3, 2014 New York

The batch #4 of Mornin Delight was subpar (in my opinion) compared to the other batches. Batch 4 of KBBS, the December release, is absolutely fantastic.

Vivs85, odcardinal, TCOlson and 2 others like this.
  29. not2quick

not2quick Defender (602) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

+1

30. Vivs85

Trader

Thanks for the info- trying to lock this up locally in NJ- good secondary price point too— hope I get to try it, I haven’t had it at all yet

31. Junior

Junior Crusader (748) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Isn’t that an oxymoron?

32. Vivs85

Trader

Haha probably... just meaning the price he wants for it is good compared with Other secondary market prices I’ve seen

33. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Disciple (316) Aug 23, 2013 Iowa

Please explain to me a “major beer market” in this day and age. More to the point, a major CRAFT beer market.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.