KBBS is released December 15th, $100 for a 12oz bottle

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by BeerGlassesCollector, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (318) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Before you got 56 oz of beer for $200. $3.57 an ounce. Now you are getting 12 oz of beer for $100. $8.33 an ounce. So it feels like more than double. Plus people aren't keen on going to the middle of nowhere for 12 oz of beer.

OakvilleKGB, b-mc-g and Zombie_Dust like this.
  2. TylerJ

TylerJ Disciple (335) Apr 10, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

Hey now. Decorah is a beautiful college town. Anybody who goes needs to hit up the Whippy Dip for ice cream as well (assuming they stay open in winter).

stuncandy and b-mc-g like this.
  3. JonCorbett

JonCorbett Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2016 Canada (BC)

I've paid $100 for a bottle of beer twice - the Schorschbräu Schorschbock 31% ($99) and Brewmeister Snake Venom 67.5% (€90), the Snake Venom is more spirit than beer, but the Schorschbock was amazing - a half oz sipped gently on it's own, or I really like to add a tsp of it to crappy stouts under 8% or imperials that seem thin. And everything I've read about Toppling Goliath makes me think it would only be worth the $100 if I splashed it with some Schorschbock.

4. johnyb

johnyb Crusader (714) Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Trader

I'll tip my cap to Doug at Cycle brewing for taking the other approach you mention. He made it his personal mission to produce enough supply to outpace the demand when he saw his product selling for crazy money on the secondary market. Still makes world class stouts, with plenty to go around.

5. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,630) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Hmmm, left handed compliments don’t count.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  6. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,808) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Agreed. They can sell it for any price they want (it's certainly their right).

However, it's also my right to hold that against them and carry a grudge as a result of this decision on their part. I can decide that this pricing reflects a significant character flaw on their part, and decide never to buy another TG beer, and to never say another positive word about them or their beer.

As I'm sure they're aware, this sort of behavior doesn't happen in a vacuum. It's certainly their prerogative to sell their beer for any price they want, but it's unrealistic not to expect some negative repercussions and fall out as a result of such a decision. If they're OK with that, then more power to them. Time will tell as to whether or not that's actually the case.

7. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,808) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Very few people are willing to pony up $500 for a bottle of wine, and most customers would cringe at the idea of spending that kind of change on a bottle of wine. So I wouldn't characterize that as "acceptable" behavior by a majority of the wine buying public.

Also, you might want to check your math skills. $100 for a 12 ounce bottle of beer is more like $8.50 an ounce. So you really need to cut the folks over at TG some slack. :sunglasses:

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  8. b-mc-g

b-mc-g Initiate (177) Mar 12, 2014 Maryland

Although they don’t release official bottle counts I believe Bottle Logic would be in the same boat. Their FO ticket purchase was open for almost thirty mins this year because of the amount produced. Not to mention it his distro throughout CA and they’ve done variants of it because they know their consumers like it. Also believe they even lowered the price this year. Not that the latter is the be and end all.

9. DoghouseReilly3946

DoghouseReilly3946 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2018 Kentucky

I can get a bottle of Rhum JM VSOP for $60, one of the finest liquids ever created and they want $100 for a 12oz bottle? How do the kids put it, oh yes... G.T.F.O.

TurkeysDrinkBeer likes this.
  10. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,886) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

This is the result of people who buy beer and sell it on the secondary market for crazy prices. Next thing you know craft beers will cost more than a bottle of expensive wine.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  11. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (438) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

I'll save my $100 and buy nearly a case of BCBS on Black Friday instead.

Jlabs, JMN44, skunkmark23 and 4 others like this.
  12. bocky24

bocky24 Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 Iowa

Really want to have your mind blown, I attended 1st KBBS release and it was $15 for a bottle.

13. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,649) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

It hasn't been that long. Westvleteren 12 and Heady Topper (I think Westvleteren 12 might have been the longest) both held the number one spot for years each.

It's just another hyped barrel-aged stout. It's amidst a long list of highly rated hyped beers over the years. Including Dark Lord (and its variants), Kate the Great, Abyss, Bourbon County (and its variants)...etc.

Heck, Victory's Storm King Stout was once the number one beer on this web site...

KBBS is selling for $100 for a 12 oz. bottle...of beer. I think I bought a bottle of Pappy 15 year for ~$100 at my local store.

14. darktronica

darktronica Poo-Bah (2,509) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

There are plenty of good beers out there. I don't mind trying expensive offerings on occasion, but I think I'll let the neckbillioneards have this one.

15. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (438) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

I might just go so I can stand in line and listen to people making poor life choices ponder how they'll come up with gas money to get home after spending their last $100 on beer.

16. AlcahueteJ

Society

Haha, that video was awesome. It was worth reading through this ridiculous thread just for that video alone.

Wasn't Brewdog's possibly justified considering it was inside a dead squirrel? Also it was 55% ABV.

Isn't Utopia ~$250 per bottle? Although that's a 750 mL bottle, so if you double the volume of KBBS, it would make it ~$200. That being said, Utopia is 25% ABV, while KBBS is half that at 12%.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  17. Junior

Junior Crusader (744) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

This is why I dislike the black market so much.

If I win MegaMillions, I'll drive to Deborah on release day and buy up as much as I can and then as extras in Locals for Locals trades.

warrendietrich2001 likes this.
  18. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

But you can uncap and recap Utopias and still be good to drink 5 years plus. Once KBBS is opened better finish because tomorrow it'll probably taste like ass

OakvilleKGB and AlcahueteJ like this.
  19. makalarch

makalarch Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania

I have some of that ol BA #1 swill Heady Topper in the fridge if anyone wants to crack a cold one and read comments.

TheMattJones88 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  20. BenHoppy

Wine can also be recorked and most likely taste good for a week. KBBS and that $100 is done in one sitting

OakvilleKGB, AlcahueteJ and b-mc-g like this.
  21. BenHoppy

I also wanna add that the fact this is a coffee bourbon stout seems kind've stupid for a secondary market as I'd imagine you want this drunk fresh. Whereas Pappy and good wine and Cantillon well that shit can age. So truthfully this beer should never be bought in secondary market.

OakvilleKGB and AlcahueteJ like this.
  22. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,167) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Shoot, if I stumbled into a bottle of Pappy and they were charging retail, I'd buy that instead!

I may as well take my chances with getting a KBBS ticket with how often my most frequent liquor store has gotten Pappy.

Utopias was $199 for its last release, but final pricing was in the hands of retail staff. It is a 750mL bottle and over double the ABV, as you pointed out though. It's another rare and expensive bottle I may splurge on near the holidays, but otherwise never buy.

#142 Harrison8, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    OakvilleKGB, AlcahueteJ and BenHoppy like this.
  23. odcardinal

odcardinal Aspirant (211) Apr 12, 2015 Florida
    Trader

And people were making fun of the SP thread for having so much butt hurt! It’s hilarious that people have complained about SP charging $50-60 for on-site derivations. I loved KBBS but not for what it was traded for. So imho if you need the KBBS tick, $100 is a steal! I’ll probably make the trek. Wish I would have made the trek for SR instead. At least SR was on draft.

My 2 cents.

OakvilleKGB, TylerJ and Harrison8 like this.
  24. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,225) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

Holy shit. Pass. No beer should be that expensive for that small of an amount. That's more expensive than some top quality wines and liquor, and for a smaller volume.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  25. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

I think the record for most expensive “retail” beer goes to Dave, from Hair Of The Dog. Last time it was sold, it cost $2,000 for a 12 oz (clear glass!!!) bottle. Although if I recall, it was sold auction-style, even though it came directly from the brewery. Not sure if that counts as “retail”.

Yes?

Now this is an argument I can get on board with. TG ownership may be deserving from the perspective of having “innovated” the product, but they sure don’t deserve anything from the standpoint of how they (reportedly) conduct themselves.

There is a 0% chance that this doesn’t insta-sell out.

OakvilleKGB, TylerJ and Dactrius like this.
  26. pmccallum86

pmccallum86 Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2009 Minnesota

True. Half of the people complaining on here will try to buy it the second it goes on sale.

27. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Devotee (465) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I've spent upwards of $250 on a reserve wine big difference here is that that kbbs is prob going to taste amazing right off the bat. That $250 wine like most wines I've bought above $80 have been utter mistakes to drink within 6 months even after 3+ hours of decanting.

OakvilleKGB and KBlodorn like this.
  28. eerickson7

eerickson7 Initiate (30) May 29, 2008 Missouri

Not sure I understand the animus here. When so many people drive, what, eight hours round trip, then wait in line for a few more hours, the increase in bottle cost is a comparatively small part of that equation if your time has any value.

OakvilleKGB and TylerJ like this.
  29. rabbott2

rabbott2 Zealot (512) Jan 14, 2015 Illinois

Very few people will pony up $500 for wine just like very few will pony up $100 for beer (likely 500-1000 people in this case). Whether or not people will “pony up” isn’t my point though. It’s certainly more socially acceptable for a winery to charge excessive pricing for elite quality, but a brewery cannot? Maybe people need to be more open minded and understand the times have changed and not be so entitled to only a certain amount of profit for a brewery to make off certain beers.

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  30. LarryV

LarryV Poo-Bah (2,148) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

100/12 = 8.33, not 8.50.

Bottom line for me, TG isn't producing this beer for the average beer consumer because they know they're not going to be the ones buying it. They know if they only produce a small amount and charge an exorbitant price that there will be no problem selling it since there's certainly enough beer geeks with the means to buy a bottle and think nothing of it.

OakvilleKGB and rabbott2 like this.
  31. KBlodorn

KBlodorn Aspirant (286) Oct 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I personally think 50/60 for a D isn't bad at all, especially when you consider D10 razzled for $1100 a couple weeks ago.. Also, Goose sells their cellared BC bombers for $100.. I love VR and Prop 14, but I'd rather buy a Derivation for 40/50 less.

32. AlcahueteJ

Society

I find Fridays and Saturdays to be special occasions. Sometimes Sundays.

33. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,171) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

THIS. If it was a 20-30 dollar five ounce pour, I would be there. No question.

34. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Meyvn (1,333) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, those are good points, and reasons why someone personally may be more willing to drive out to Decorah for that release than this one - but if you read the comments here, the outrage doesn't seem to fit with either of those. The outrage seems to be over the fact that they're charging $100 for a bottle of beer.

35. Beardaxe

Beardaxe Initiate (33) Sep 29, 2014 Connecticut

I was at that release too. I remember going up to get my bottle and being flabbergasted that it I only got a 12oz bottle for $15. I thought going in that it was for a bomber and considered for a second not even buying it. Times have definitely changed.

I remember there was even enough leftover that they let us all reline for more. My crew ended up with about 10 bottles or so and drank them over the years. It's a great beer for sure but I'm very glad I got in on it early. As great as it is, I can't see myself every spending more than $15 for a 12oz beer.

For me personally, the release is bothersome in ways wine isn't because I long enjoyed the "accessibility" of the craft beer scene that I did not associate with wine. Beer's history is decidedly more working class than wine and it seemed like the craft beer scene could reflect that (though not always of course). Part of my intense participation in the scene came from the fact that I could afford the best (or at least best hyped) beer that was out there, I just had to get to the brewery or pull off a trade for it. So I researched, I read BA everyday, I traded constantly, I made long-distance trips to breweries, etc. Over the years I got to try a lot of amazing stuff and meet a lot of cool people.

As prices have risen and exclusive memberships clubs have formed and the secondary market has turned release days into modern day gold rushes, I've been pushed out of a lot of the stuff that drives the national culture and beer is now like most other things in the prestige food and drink world. I I still love beer and try to find interesting and new things to drink, but I've definitely turned away some from the scene and the hunt and am now more of an isolated dude just casually trying the breweries around me and picking up good looking, affordable brews from my local shop. It's much less stressful on me and much less taxing on my wallet.

Anytime this issue comes up on BA, plenty of people jump in with the "supply and demand" argument as if that's the only thing that matters. That may be the only thing that matters to TG and all the amateur economists we got here, but we shouldn't dismiss how raising prices to this degree has hidden costs as well. I'm not angry at TG (or any brewery) for doing this, but I do think people can be disappointed at how this stuff has changed the culture around beer and the role specific breweries play in it.

36. errantnight

errantnight Savant (929) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Trader

...what?

They talked about it and Anchorage canceled the release because people were so pissed off about it.

37. errantnight

errantnight Savant (929) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Trader

I think it's possible to believe all of the following things:
    • This is an outrageous sum of money for a beer that, at best, is of marginal additional quality from many others like it
    • This is artificial scarcity at its most blatant, TG has long had the capability to make more if they so desired and that's only been amplified since the new brewery opened, clearly they feel there is value in the marketing.
    • This is going to have no trouble selling out and if anything is possibly under the actual market value of this beer, if maximum price at which it would sell out is the measure.
    TG is selling overpriced bombers of IPAs in 2018. They're shipping their most desired beers in limited quantities to MA and CA without having met local demand. They're overproducing their core beers so that what's on shelves is often old, particularly in far-flung markets. And they're continuing to charge a huge premium for their stouts which they make in quantities far below their capacity to artificially limit the availability.

Those are not the actions of a brewery I much care to support, but I find myself buying their beers anyway because in Iowa there's no one making IPAs as good as theirs.

38. makalarch

makalarch Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania

39. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (318) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I like to believe that breweries are comprised of good people. When they say $100 for 12oz it feels like a big FU. There are so many cool breweries to support.

OakvilleKGB, b-mc-g and JediMatt like this.
  40. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,283) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

A grey squirrel or a stoat! Definitely a selling point. Taxidermy ain't cheap.

When I made my comment "KBBS will be about the same price as the last vintage of Utopias," I was thinking in terms of price-per-ounce. I should've mentioned that. By the time I re-read my post, it was too late to edit it. Ah well.

The suggested price for Utopias 2017 was $199 for 750 mL, which works out to about $8 per ounce, just like 2018 KBBS.

This is an excellent "big picture" view. Thumbs up.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.