KBBS is released December 15th, $100 for a 12oz bottle

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by BeerGlassesCollector, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TylerJ

TylerJ Disciple (335) Apr 10, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

There are many Term Oils, so it might depend on which one you had.
    https://untappd.com/search?q=term oil&type=beer

2. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,432) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

They aren't. Clark has repeatedly confirmed KBBS is BA MD.

3. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (306) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

4. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

I never had KBBS, Assassins, or Morning Delight. I am just going by what the bartender at TG told me. Term Oil had no maple but was a bourbon barrel stout that happened to be the best bourbon barrel stout I ever had. I was just wondering when I was at TG if Term Oil was any way related to their big whale beers as I thought beer can't get much better than the Term Oil I had.

5. BenHoppy

Term Oil 18

6. TylerJ

Trader

I've heard the base for Assassin is Norseman's Wrath. I would assume this is their "base stout" for the rest of their imperial stouts as well.

rabbott2 and BenHoppy like this.
  7. biggmatt74

biggmatt74 Initiate (71) Dec 15, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

I seem to remember hearing that the Term Oil beers were blended to make Assassin. That did not come from an employee, but just talking with folks at the MD release this year. Based on how it tasted the two times I had it, it kind of makes sense.

BenHoppy likes this.
  8. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (901) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Can you imagine the blow back if $100 KBBS is infected....

9. Sabtos

Society Trader

A lot of third-hand owners would be pissed about re-sale value!

bbtkd, stuncandy, pmccallum86 and 3 others like this.
  10. rabbott2

rabbott2 Zealot (512) Jan 14, 2015 Illinois

I think @BenHoppy was misinformed. KBBS is barrel aged mornin delight. Term Oil is a Barrel Aged Stout, so it certainly isn't just mornin delight without the coffee. Maybe on of the term oils has maple, but they're barrel aged, so if anything, Term Oil would be KBBS without the coffee. And yes, based on timing, this KBBS should be MD b4 barrel aged. And MD b3 was brewed during the time that Brewmaster Mike was not working there, which may be why they didn't put it in barrels. Some of this I think they probably don't share intentionally, but I think that's all pretty accurate.

BenHoppy and TylerJ like this.
  11. HawksBeerFan

Trader

What is the relationship between Term Oil and Assassin (if any)?

12. rabbott2

I'm glad we're talking about the beer now instead of the price. I'll keep it going.....

I hope they bottle Term Oil at some point. I'd love to try that without having to drive 4 hours. But that would probably be a bigger deal than Assassin or MD, so getting a ticket would be nuts. Imagine the HYPE TRAIN!

TylerJ likes this.
  13. rabbott2

I think the base stout is the same. I'd assume they're pretty close in nature overall. Maybe different bourbon brands for the barrels and probably different time in the barrels itself. I'd love to do some kind of vertical/horizontal of a few of the Assassin's lined up next to a few of the Term Oils. One can dream.

TylerJ likes this.
  14. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Texas

Correct.

Kegger37 and TylerJ like this.
  15. HawksBeerFan

Trader

Yeah that's the sense I've gotten as well.

Man, I'm really glad I never bought into the Assassin hype in that case.

Thanks for all the information, appreciate it.

HawkeyeBeerLover and rabbott2 like this.
  16. Sabtos

Society Trader

Why isn't anyone asking the hard questinos? How many Tree House cans does Clark think KBBS is worth?

17. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (784) Sep 15, 2010 Alaska
    Society Trader

Unless it's mint Term Oil. That was a border line drain pour.

HawkeyeBeerLover likes this.
  18. Vitacca

Society Trader

One full days allotment for everybody.

HawkeyeBeerLover and TylerJ like this.
  19. TylerJ

Trader

3 pallets of Green and 3 pallets of Julius? Will that get me one?

FLBeerGuy and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  20. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (318) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Assassin is an interesting beer because of the dark fruit flavor. I enjoy a good Bourbon County (2015 uninfected is my recent favorite) more than Assassin.

HawksBeerFan likes this.
  21. TylerJ

Trader

From my experience having had several batches of MD and the latest Assassin (and I've also heard this from other reviews from people who have had both SR-71 batches and new and older batches of both MD and Assassin), it seems that their base stout went from being very chocolaty to being dark fruit forward. I don't know anything about brewing, so i don't know what causes a stout to be more on one side of that than another, but MD b2 was very chocolaty while b4 was very dark fruit forward. I only had a small sample of b5, so I don't remember if it was more along the lines of the old or new. I honestly prefer the more chocolaty base, which is more like what Maman has, so I actually prefer Maman over (2018) Assassin. A gold wax Assassin might be a different story.

22. BenHoppy

Perhaps I was misinformed but I did ask is term oil KBBS without coffee and was told no. But if that is the case then I sure am glad I got to drink it. And can understand fuss about KBBS but not $100 worthy. No coffee should make a beer $90 enjoyable.

23. Vitacca

Society Trader

Having had '13, '16 and '18 Assassin I can attest '13 was delectable fudge, '16 was heavy handed with the dark fruits. Almost Backyard Rye-esque to me which I do not like and '18 is a beer I would not go out of my way for. Less dark fruits than '16 but also a thinner and more carbonated mouthfeel.

MD I don't get the dark fruit flavor that pops the way it does in Assassin to me.

I've been a TG drinker since the old PS bombers came to WI. I haven't really even bought anything from them other then the latest batch of Morning Delight in over 2 years. I never knew which beer was gonna come out of the can or bottle. Too bad because DDH Sue used to be one of my favorites.

24. Jimmylikesbeer

Jimmylikesbeer Initiate (147) Apr 27, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

I’m gonna try for a ticket. $100 is worthit when u can turn around & sell it for 4-5x that amount or trade it for a crap ton. I wouldn’t pay that mich to just drink. That’s what drives the price up

pmccallum86 and errantnight like this.
  25. Sabtos

Society Trader

NO CHILL

timbowar and Jimmylikesbeer like this.
  26. HawksBeerFan

Trader

Can't tell if this is high level trolling or one of the dumbest posts I've read on this site.

27. JPick

JPick Initiate (189) Sep 7, 2013 Missouri
    Trader

I’ve never sold a beer in my life, but I’ll tell ya...at $100 for 12 oz, it’s hard to make a case that it’s actually worth drinking, and when it sells for $1,000, I think a case could be made that you’d be dumb NOT to sell it.

28. HawksBeerFan

Trader

It was more the contradiction in his post where he says drinking it is what drives up the price but selling it on the secondary market doesn't.

29. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

Technically, everyone that is consumed means that there is one less available for sale. The smaller the number in circulation, the more valuable the remaining ones become

Jimmylikesbeer likes this.
  30. Spewlander

Spewlander Initiate (90) May 17, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Term Oil is not a single thing and in some ways is more of a ‘line’ of beers. I believe that they first put a version on tap a few years ago and that one came from barrels that were not going to be used in the Assassin blend. Not ones that were deemed inferior but just didn’t fit into the profile they were going for. Sometimes it has adjuncts, sometimes just straight up. (The vanilla/cinnamon version at the old tap room was amazing). I believe they do indicate which barrels a blend came from and definitely what adjusts it may have but there’s not one beer that is Term Oil.

eppie82, WhaleSlayer85 and TylerJ like this.
  31. DesMoinesMike

DesMoinesMike Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 Iowa

I got a bottle of Sam Adams Utopia for $200 and even that was a better deal than this. Plus without the carbonation I can keep it for years.

errantnight likes this.
  32. errantnight

errantnight Savant (929) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Trader

It’s just worded poorly. He’s saying the cost is high to make drinking it hard when that same cost is so low compared to its open market value.

This high cost encourages the secondary market, not discourages it, as it drives away people who might drink the beer and encourages the speculators.

Jimmylikesbeer likes this.
  33. hoptheology

hoptheology Poo-Bah (5,311) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Society Trader

*buys 8x 4-packs of CW BBA Scotch Ale instead*

34. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (120) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

*buys 9 cases of Hamm's instead*

35. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (138) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

*buys 1x Black Tuesday*

36. Jimmylikesbeer

Trader

I meant that the black market is what drives the price up....not drinking it

37. Jimmylikesbeer

Trader

That is exactly what I meant. I had a few & worded it wrong. But most people figured it out. I’ll be after 2 tickets. Plus, they’re gonna have Morning Delight available for I believe $46 a bottle limit 1 per person.

38. deathstar

deathstar Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2018 Iowa

Question, with the non compete being a non factor for flenker, wonder if mike will stay around to watch clarks hype show. he cannot be a fan of all the greed going on here.

39. pmccallum86

pmccallum86 Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2009 Minnesota

He got equity I think so he is also getting riiich

40. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (136) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

Hi Squire, my name is Charity...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.