KBS Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ilovelampandbeer, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

Anyone else love this beer regardless of the haters? This beer hits the sweet spot in many ways for me...abv is perfect...just enough coffee, just enough chocolate, just enough barrel...I know people will crucify me but I put it above "the standard" bcbcs....I never get tired of it and no matter how much spice or vanilla or coconut breweries throw in their stouts I always crave a good old KBS...anyone else?

#1 Ilovelampandbeer, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    CJNAPS, Badfish, mikeinportc and 8 others like this.
  2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I love Kbs as well, love it fresh, it ages very well. I'd qualify that a bit saying I like Bcbcs a bit better, but that's not a slight at all. Kbs is a great beer and hard to get here.

docoman and Gemini6 like this.
  3. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (594) May 30, 2013 Ohio

I love it dearly. I think its just perfect as well. A lot of people talk about BC or SMS. They are good, there is just something special about the body and drinkablity of KBS for me. Also, it has a 100 score on here and is #22 on the top list. So I don't know if its as under appreciated as you might think.

dexterk1, Gemini6 and Geuzedad like this.
  4. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (5,553) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

KBS itself is absolutely first class! I can understand why some are annoyed about the hype and the difficulty in finding it but that doesn't detract from its quality. I try to balance my desire to purchase some each year with my disdain for lines and playing games. Without a great deal of effort, I can find enough bottles to enjoy throughout the year. The only thing I really object to is the price of single bottles.

5. lambpasty

lambpasty Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

I've enjoyed the bottle I've had this year, personally I think the most impressive thing is the incredible drinkability at 12%+, it's dangerous. That combined with the balance of coffee/bourbon/base stout flavors makes it a great brew IMO.

6. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

I love KBS and I think it's a world class beer. It has bourbon barrel, chocolate and coffee, three things I truly enjoy. Great thread because KBS is a world class beer regardless of those who hate it. I will also say that I am glad that I don't have to rely on other's perceptions in order to enjoy KBS!

gvhockey likes this.
  7. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,931) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

I think it is a great beer for all the reasons you stated.

CJNAPS likes this.
  8. REEK

REEK Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2015 Massachusetts

I just had the 2016, my first batch of KBS ever.. I loved it so much. I'm a stout fan, and enjoy many different styles but feel as if the barrel aspect made this one special for me. The ABV was on point!

Brolo75 and Geuzedad like this.
  9. BourbonJersey

BourbonJersey Aspirant (254) Jan 18, 2014 New Jersey

Didn't get any this year, wouldn't know :slight_frown:

CrimeDog likes this.
  10. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Disciple (385) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona
    Society

Our 2016 here went fast. It was broke down and sold individually with a two bottle limit so more folks could get it. I did luck out and get a couple and its damn good. However back in February they released a bunch of 2015 to a lot of local shops so I was able to pick up another 4 pack of it. And it is still drinking very well. I agree it is just about as well balanced a BBA Stout as I have ever drank.

REEK likes this.
  11. Thecalmdrinker

Thecalmdrinker Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2015 Nevada

Definitely the best stout I've tried! I do have to say that I have not tried most of the other world class stouts out there, though. :slight_smile:

12. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,455) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

13. Brandonhelvie

Brandonhelvie Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2015 New York

I'm not a barely age lover by any means. I buy bottle after bottle wanting to like them. I had an in on a bottle of KBS and bought it knowing that I would most likely not enjoy it. Happened to have my brother around and decided to pop it. Got that off gut feeling just pouring it knowing well I was subjecting myself to something I would not like.Wow, was I amazed! If he wasn't my brother I would have punched him in the mouth so he couldn't drink his half I poured him and drink it myself. Really enjoyed the bottle I had and fortunate I got it! Hats off to founders and KBS. Made me do a full 180!

14. Hoos78

Hoos78 Disciple (301) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Agree 100% regarding the drinkability and balance. I could deal with a bit more coffee, but that might mitigate what makes it great.

lambpasty and REEK like this.
  15. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

A solid example of the style. Nothing super wow about it, but maybe that's what makes it so good. If it were only easier to track down.

beercentric847 likes this.
  16. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,913) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I find it a bit too boozy for my tastes (still enjoyable though, and I have a 2016 waiting for me in my fridge). And I typically prefer the regular old breakfast stout over it (or at least I used to based on an old review, been awhile since I've had the regular breakfast stout).

That aside, what haters are you speaking of? I assume it's anecodatally in the forums here in Beeradvocate, because in terms of ratings people seem to love it. Yes Bourbon County's Coffee Stout is rated higher, but not appreciably so. 4.59 to KBS' 4.56, and KBS has ~1800 more reviews, and nearly double the "hads".

17. jmasher85

jmasher85 Zealot (574) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland

Just search for the recent KBS release thread or any other thread where it comes up and you will find that at least a third of the writers are complaining about how it's an overrated hype beer and how X user's personal favorite BB coffee stout is way better.

Anyway, it's one of my top 10 beers for sure. My favorite thing about it that really makes it unique is when you get it cold - frankly a bit colder than a beer of that style should be - and it takes on this chalky, dry, tannic texture that feels so cool on your tongue, not unlike a dry French Bordeaux wine, but of course much tastier. First time I had KBS on tap, it was too cold but that tannic feeling had me thinking about that beer for weeks.

18. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I'd add I've has SMS and I find Kbs to be superior, I didn't really care for the former, I found it boozy , bitter and finished poorly. Kbs all day long head to head here, not quite as creamy and viscous as Bcbcs, but it's a very close race. My only complaint is availability, it's just damn tough to get straight up here. Most places are bottle limits only one had a 4 pk limit, and I don't drag my wife around to scoop up beer.

19. elucas730

elucas730 Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2010 New York

KBS is indeed an excellent beer. But, just like any product or company that is highly popular, it becomes "cool" with a certain crowd to hate on it.
    For all the complaints about how hard it is to get, because of it's distribution and price point, KBS is actually pretty accessible. All the other beers that people are offering up as comparisons to KBS either have a much smaller distribution, are much more expensive, or both. KBS's popularity is, in fact, partially driven by it's widespread availability.

Thecalmdrinker and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  20. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,258) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

You hit the nail on the head with that.

I'll just add, I had KBS for the first time this year and didn't have to go out of my way to get a decent amount (allegedly distro to IL was up this year). I thought it was a very good BBA stout and enjoyed every bit of it. Haven't had the other ones people throw out there as comparisons, but KBS was relatively easy to get for me (unlike the others) and at the price point, I'm happy to enjoy it and be satisfied.

Thecalmdrinker likes this.
  21. glass_house

glass_house Zealot (582) Jan 10, 2014 Ohio

Perhaps my perspective would be a bit negative if I had to put the effort/$$$ into obtaining it that I hear some BA's complain about. Fortunately I've got a great local bottleshop manager that holds my 4-pack every year. It's been $21.99 the last couple years, which I think is more than reasonable--under $.50/oz. for a great BA Stout. As others have mentioned, my favorite thing about KBS is the balance and silky smooth drinkability. Every spring the wife and I spend a long weekend in a cabin somewhere and KBS is one of the best early morning fishing beers I've ever had.

22. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

And it isn't infected like this years entire Bourbon County line apparently is
    Yeah Founders!!!!!

23. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

I heard from a friend's cousin's girlfriend's cat that certain batches are infected, if you send me your bottle, I can tell you if its infected or not.

mikeinportc and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  24. thuey

thuey Defender (623) Nov 13, 2015 California
    Society

KBS is definitely better than BCBS/BCBCS. More complex flavors than that one-trick-pony.

But the more times I've had KBS, the less I like it. Granted, I've only ever had it on draught at this point.

25. sean_paul

sean_paul Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2014 California

I found KBS really flooded the SoCal market this year. Really great beer so I stocked up :slight_smile:. The 2016 is perfect!

26. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

People love to hate KBS because everyone loves KBS. These people still really enjoy the beer. But no... they hate it.

27. C-roll32

C-roll32 Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2016 California

I enjoy KBS more than BCBS as well. Heard a lot of reviews about 2016 needing more time to sit, but I loved it fresh this year!!!

28. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Gaddabble likes this.
  29. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Count me in as a fan

30. Cannibalgasm

Cannibalgasm Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2015 Minnesota

KBS is one of my personal favorite brews. I don't care what anybody says it is absolutely world class and contains all the aromas, and flavors I love in barrel aged brews. Add in the fact that it is phenomenally drinkable and I can't find a single flaw. Everyone's opinion will be different but to me it is one of the brews that truly deserves all the hype around it. And to this day it is still the only brew I have given a perfect score.

31. C-roll32

C-roll32 Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2016 California

Hey @FBarber, nice taste! These pics bring me to the golden age of drinking! like Madmen. Drinking in your office, wearing suits, hot secretary's! haha

FBarber likes this.
  32. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

Every time I share a KBS with someone who hasn't had one, their reaction is wow. I think that is a good benchmark of something special

Dragginballs76 and docoman like this.
  33. GreatStoutman

GreatStoutman Crusader (779) Jan 5, 2016 Texas
    Trader

I'm going to add some text here that no one will read because I love both Founders and KBS that much.

chrismann65, C-roll32 and FBarber like this.
  34. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (771) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I suppose you can put me in the "KBS fan club" as I don't hate it at all. I can say that the mouthfeel has changed over the past few years. It appears to be a tad thinner and not as viscous. Is it a good beer? Absolutely! I believe the problem with people who dislike it is that they may like a heavier BA stout or something more in-your-face, which KBS is not (at least to me).

I happened to open a 2012 the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Albeit it had oxidized a tad and the barrel had faded, it was still a very enjoyable example of a well -aged stout. It's hard to say you hate it when you seek it out each year just to try it for yourself. It must not be too bad! :slight_smile:

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  35. Mainflow20

Mainflow20 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2015 Michigan

Sipping on a 2016 KBS as I write this, also have some 2015 and 2013 cellaring. In my opinion KBS is best enjoyed for what it is, a darn good Bourbon Barrel Stout. People need to try and push all the hype out of their minds before drinking this brew and I think they would enjoy it much more.

flaskman likes this.
  36. Satchboogie

Satchboogie Savant (975) Oct 16, 2010 Belgium
    Trader

Do we really need an appreciation thread for a beer that gets ton of talk on BA and people still go insane to get... A lot of us find it good, but not worth what people go through to obtain, with so many great BA stouts on the market now...

37. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

KBS is the bees knees

38. Thecalmdrinker

Thecalmdrinker Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2015 Nevada

I went in to my liquior store and I bought a 4 pack. After that, I walked out of the store. easiest 'rare' beer I have ever found. Not that I have found many rare beers. : P

39. Respect_For_Saaz

Respect_For_Saaz Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2016 Canada (ON)

No. Just no. Tweak is better. Way better.

Anon67 likes this.
  40. shareallthebeer

shareallthebeer Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2014 Colorado

I have never had KBS but plan on doing a 2014, 2015, 2016 vertical this evening. I am VERY much looking forward to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.