KBS sightings in CT!!!

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by seplo, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EDNOSE

EDNOSE (435) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

For the record Ancona's is open running generators at (what I am sure are) exorbitant costs, giving out free water from their hose, providing coffee (for free) and helping the community during all of these recent storms where we've been without power for a week on end. So stop being a jerk over the price of one bottle of beer.

Despite being a "good" craft beer store and 100% my go to store since I live in Ridgefield, Ancona's is not a great beer store and more often than not gets skipped on rare releases. It certainly does not get the love that Amity or 99 Bottles gets from distributors. They miss them just as often as they get them and I definitely find it helps to tell them that they are coming so they can reach out to their distributors. Just as two examples, they didn't get Enjoy By or Premeditated for two very recent examples but I can site many, many others over the years. Given that fact, I can understand Mitch's "excuse" for pricing the beer. He, honestly, doesn't have experience in pricing these things all that often. I'm more than willing to take him at his word. I willing went in and spent the money on a bottle for convenience. If you don't like this price, then don't buy this beer from him (past tense now since I believe it's sold out). And at the end of the day, he priced it where he priced and he sold out so good for him.

2. smutty33

smutty33 (786) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

I have stopped going there myself.....price gougers to the fullest.Tools.
    I'm sure your talking about the store by BOB'S.Almost everything in there is 1-2 bucks more than the competition.Nevermind the KBS gouge.........:grimacing::angry:

Cheers

averagjoe3 and seplo like this.
  3. sandman3479

sandman3479 (0) Dec 8, 2006 Connecticut

Fairgrounds and many other Danbury stores didn't get those beers either. He did however get many other limited beers in the past, so it's not exactly a sobfest for Mitch either, and he does have some experience doing it.

I do agree with you though, they are good to their community in general.

4. sandman3479

That's the one he's talking about.

5. pjs234

pjs234 (0) Jun 29, 2008 Connecticut

Cask Republic is selling bottles for $12.

6. Pando

Pando (0) Dec 5, 2011 Connecticut

Some asshole pretended to be me and got my 4-pack today (which the store was holding for me). Of course it was the last one they had (from what I was told he pointed to the beer behind the counter and said it was for him). Does this constitute no longer shopping there or at least shopping less there? I could be over reacting right now but I'm really pissed about it.

7. Gunboat82

Gunboat82 (0) Jul 3, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Or an employee kept it and made up a backstory.

8. davey101

davey101 (0) Apr 14, 2009 Connecticut

I'd agree with him on the fact that its nothing special. It's a good beer but take a look at BCBS, which is at number 17. Absolute shit show the first week or two that it hit CT and price gouging was rampant. Now, its still on shelves...even at MSRP. KBS is not worthy of massive mark ups and single bottle count limits...its Founders, they kind of made a lot of it.

I've purchased it in MA in 2011 and 2012, and to be honest CT has it way easier.

9. naloxone

naloxone (0) Aug 7, 2010 Connecticut

Huh. Don't log on for a few days, and lookie what I miss.

smutty33 likes this.
  10. Pando

Pando (0) Dec 5, 2011 Connecticut

Possibly but the shift manager said that she saw it there about an hour before I came in for it. She obviously isn't a beer person because she said that she didn't think someone would do that just for beer and gave a little chuckle. That just pissed me off a little more.

11. Zbyler

Zbyler (0) Jan 18, 2013 Connecticut

Again, I completely agree with your first paragraph. I have been saying this the entire time ha.

I am not going to argue with you man. I'm on this site to learn more about beer and to share my info with others. I could care less how you buy your beer and where you buy it from. Thanks for the nice chat.

~Z

seplo likes this.
  12. mitchancona

mitchancona (0) Apr 6, 2013 Connecticut

My apologies.... seriously.... I made a bad call with that pricing decision. I take full responsibility for that and I'm willing to accept the consequences as they come. Lesson learned... -Mitch

13. DougC123

DougC123 (435) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

Good recovery Mitch. Back in good graces.

sandman3479 and StylzMC like this.
  14. sandman3479

I think any of us that have met Mitch know that he is a good guy. It was a messup that happened the first time they got a new and rare beer in. I personally think they'll be cognisant of the situation moving forward.
    I think the public apology was a nice touch as well. Not everyone is perfect all of the time, and I believe he and his staff have learned from this, so I have no problems going back.

15. DougC123

I actually think he would be a good addition / participant in the forums on a regular basis.

sandman3479 likes this.
  16. improvmasta

improvmasta (0) Sep 19, 2012 Connecticut

Liquor Depot in Simbury still has 3 bottles on the back shelf at 5.25 each in case anyone in the area is still looking. Was there around 3pm.

17. DougC123

I just paid 7.99 x4 at Warehouse in Monroe, but it was the last they had.

18. concealed

concealed (0) May 7, 2009 Georgia

swung by this morning, and was too late.

19. mcBrewsAlot

mcBrewsAlot (0) Dec 3, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

Groton area has been depleted.. my friend grabbed 12 in total between 2 stores

20. mcBrewsAlot

mcBrewsAlot (0) Dec 3, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

Wow.. good price, I remember when I could get a 4 pack for that price of $21.99

21. sandman3479

I picked up a few 4 packs for $21.99 in VT, and 1 in Danbury for $18.99. I was confused (but happy). I thought VT was supposed to be cheaper.

22. bigedct

bigedct (0) Jun 23, 2011 Connecticut

Grabbed 4 4s in VT this past weekend, $18.99/4. :slight_smile:

23. sandman3479

What town/store?

24. DougC123

Great price.

25. DrWangerBanger

DrWangerBanger (0) Sep 9, 2010 Connecticut

That's a great price if you don't consider that gas is $4/gallon

bigedct likes this.
  26. bigedct

bigedct (0) Jun 23, 2011 Connecticut

True. Luckily, I have family in the area and was going to visit anyway.

VT distribution works out better than here I think sometimes.

27. sandman3479

Fixed that for ya.

28. Steven1974

Steven1974 (0) Jul 13, 2012 Massachusetts

Wegmans limited customers to a 4-pack. Nobody got a full case of KBS.

29. Zbyler

Zbyler (0) Jan 18, 2013 Connecticut

Not sure if you have ever conversed with an employee there, but I took a trip to the one in Norwalk, CT one day just to see what it was like. A customer was looking for brooklyn chocolate stout and asked an employee there where it was. Now, mind you they had a giant display of it right when you walk in the store (trying to get rid of it because it's a seasonal) and the employee had no idea what it was or where it was.

I overheard the conversation and actually ended up helping the guy and telling him about it and where it was (I work at a store myself). Kind of sad if you think about it.

They're customer service was horrendous and their prices weren't as good as I thought they would be.

30. smutty33

smutty33 (786) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

That store in Norwalk has no relation to the store in Milford.Milford store is called somethin different now(I forget the new name),as the box chain in Norwalk must of made em change it.

And yeah,I have made a couple trips to Total in norwalk,they hire anyone off the street.Beer knowledge NOT required!lol.

Cheers

31. averagjoe3

averagjoe3 (0) Jul 9, 2012 Connecticut

The store in Milford tried using the name Total Wines, but got sued and had to drop it as they are not a part of the big chain. They are their own separate business which now uses a different name.

the real total, like the one in Norwalk, has great pricing though.

sandman3479 likes this.
  32. rdilauro

rdilauro (0) Mar 8, 2010 Connecticut

We were allocated 1 case of KBS. Within a couple of days, half it that was gone. We made a decision to start selling them as singles, so that more people who wanted to try KBS could.

Yesterday, we sold out. This time it was a 4-pack, but to a beer-lover (he is BA member) and someone that provides a lot of good information for us, and personally, he arranged so that I could have a 4pack of Heady Topper. (not a retail sale). That alone put him in the spot light of my beer associates.

I did have the KBS twice. I am sorry to say (look at my reviews) that this was just not a beer for me. I am glad I tried it.. It was just one of the many beers I have in my Bucket List.

33. rdilauro

rdilauro (0) Mar 8, 2010 Connecticut

I know its been tough to get KBS this year. We did get it, sold some 4packs and then sold the rest as singles. But the price per single was the price of the 4 pack/4 We were not interested in inflating the price. I can understand adding a few cents to the single bottle (just like what is done when buying those 4pack little bottle wines vs 1 of the bottles). But it should not be a huge difference.

At our store, our main focus is providing the customers with the beers they are asking for. We do a lot of researching to get the beers that most people are looking for. But a good piece of our business is trying to bring
    in the beer that a customer wants. Its tough in CT, sometimes too tough.

I am in charge of the wine setup and what we put into our taster weekly. We also try to feature at least 1 beer tasting a month. We want our customer base to get more excited about beers. Our beer man (who does most of the research and all of the ordering) is always thrilled when we get something new and exciting.

To me, that is what the retail business is all about.

I am not trying to say that its all about what we can provide. As with any business, we need to make sure we are making a profit so that we can stay in business.s

But putting a product out for $10/bottle, when it should only be $6/bottle will never sit well for me.

drinker36 likes this.
  34. LambAndTunaPhish

LambAndTunaPhish (0) Nov 16, 2012 Connecticut
    Trader

Let's give this thread a bump... KBS going on draft at Mikro at 4 today. Heading there now to grab one

35. Robtobfest

Robtobfest (0) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

I have an extra four pack if anyone wants one.

sandman3479 likes this.
  36. jaxon53

jaxon53 (987) Mar 1, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

How can you have shop loyalty if the shop you frequent is willing to jam it in your ass on special releases? It's not right! Why can't gas stations raise gas prices a few bucks when a hurricane is coming?? Because it's price gouging...

37. sandman3479

Wish I saw this Saturday!!!

38. LambAndTunaPhish

LambAndTunaPhish (0) Nov 16, 2012 Connecticut
    Trader

I think they were trying to limit it to 1 pour per customer and they also didn't put it on the board in the restaurant. It was still listed online as being on tap yesterday, but who knows if it lasted. If it did, I might try to grab another at their Smuttynose event tonight...

39. Newbiebeer

Newbiebeer (0) Aug 4, 2012 Connecticut

big bump, nobody get excited! supposedly, 3x more was supposed to be brewed for 2014. any truth to this? it wasn't that difficult getting it in CT last year, wonder if it will be even easier.

40. Fluke828

Fluke828 (0) Feb 2, 2011 Massachusetts

keep in mind that Founders expanded their distro net yet again this year (I know FL for sure) so although there might have been more product made this year, doesn't automatically equate to an increase of quantities on your local shelves.

smutty33 and sandman3479 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.