Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

KBS sightings in Southern/central NJ

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by musicman7070, Apr 1, 2013.

1. ESeab

I live three blocks away from there :D. BTW I checked already today, nothing yet.

And Hunterdon was not closed, two delivery drivers called out sick yesterday so all the distro is backed up.

2. musicman7070

Beer Trader

Any update on the KBS at White Horse or no?

3. musicman7070

Beer Trader

As of 4:20ish, Joe Canal's in Egg Harbor Twp on Fire Road hasn't gotten any yet. It's supposed to come today at some point. I won't be driving there...it's too far for me for just a bottle of beer. This KBS madness is really tiring...really can't wait for this week to be over.

4. musicman7070

Beer Trader

Does anyone know if any places are getting any KBS tomorrow in the area?

5. joshwars

Bishops in Whitehouse Station gets their Hunterdon Deliveries on Fridays. I put my name in/requested it in the 'beer book' so we will see if I get a call - i'll probably hit it on the way home from the office tomorrow anyway to see if they got any or not just for the hell of it.

6. MykelJH

My friend bought bottles @ Martins liquors $13 pop

7. Nectar

I'm done for the year with KBS and my friends got a few bottles soo...

Boulevard super liquors in marmora. Cape May county. I got a 4pk today. 20.49. Should have a few left but may wanna call.

Enjoy.

8. Nectar

That's insane. I really don't like the greed

digdug1810 likes this.
  9. MykelJH

Yea man. It's kills it for me. Like I actually enjoy the hunt, it's rewarding to go in and see they have bottles and then twice the price of what it should be just kills the excitement

10. joshwars

Bishops in Whitehouse Station did not get any today and sounded like they were not expecting any either.

11. ShemRahBoo

Beer Trader

So I actually know of a store that won't sell their KBS unless you purchase a store made founders variety case. It's like 21 total bottles, including pale ale, reds rye, centennial, curmudgeon, etc... One problem is the hoppy beers are definitely old, like undrinkable old. This case is $50. Not mentioning the store name but anyone know what can be done about this / the legality of this? I emailed founders and hunterdon just to let them know, as I don't think they would want the product handled this way.

The sad thing about this was I was about to buy way more then $50 worth of beer, i was buying some bruery stuff, aprihop, undercover investigation, maine brewing beers, etc... O well if they want to do shady stuff like this there are many good stores in NJ that I will gladly spend it at instead. Wonder how many other customers will take their money elsewhere now too.

digdug1810 likes this.
  12. Timmush

I have a bottle on hold but it's 9.99 and I have to buy another founders product so I'm debating if I should even get it. WHAT A SHAME. 2 years ago I got a case of Kbs for under $5 a bottle

13. DaGrizz

so for 50 bucks you get a case(?) of beer and 1 KBS?

14. ShemRahBoo

Beer Trader

21 total beers for 50, and half or greater then half of the beers are way past freshness

15. IHeartPumking

I'm pretty sure I know what store you are talking about. I was planning to go there tonight but didn't feel like driving. Will go tomorrow and get my answer for sure in the morning. If it's the same store I'm thinking of, I've heard of some shady stuff although I do like their selection a lot so I'll continue to go there.

16. JaymoNJ

Beer Trader

17. musicman7070

Beer Trader

That store is like 30 minutes out of the way for me. I wasn't about to drive all the way there for that, even though I could have. What was the limit and how much was it per bottle?

18. joshwars

What criminal outfit is this so I dont go there.

19. musicman7070

Beer Trader

I called them up earlier this week, too! I wouldn't have been able to go anyway, as I was working then. Oh well. I'm happy with the 6 that I have. No big deal.

20. ShemRahBoo

Beer Trader

I'm not going to out them in this thread. I typically have a good time in this place and this is out of the ordinary for them. I just don't understand how whoever put this move in place thinks it is a good idea. It seems like it has potential to turn away regular and potential regular customers, especially with competition right in the area. I also don't know how they will go through a case requiring this, not many people want to spend 50 just to get kbs and old beers.

If this practice is legal or not I am not sure, does anyone with knowledge of this know if a store is legally allowed to do this?

21. JaymoNJ

Beer Trader

It was like 5.99 for a single and they were only doing one or two per person. Really thought they were going to price gouge since they killed me on a bottle of pappy a few months ago

22. musicman7070

Beer Trader

$5.99 is a good price! One place that I bought from charged me around $11.75 after taxes for a single bottle. They definitely price gouged me there.

23. cde1218

Beer Trader

Most place I went to were $8

24. iL0VEbeer

Beer Trader

Did this ever happen? I checked the website several times the past few days and saw nothing.

25. musicman7070

Beer Trader

They definitely misled me. I thought it was only gonna be online (to avoid crazy traffic in the store probably), I then called them that afternoon and they tell me they are selling in the store as I was on the phone with them. I asked them why it wasn't online and then he says, "If there's any left in the store by tonight we will post it online." That got me so pissed cuz obviously that was going to sell out in a matter of minutes.

26. iL0VEbeer

Beer Trader

That's pretty shitty. I guess I can stop checking the their website now haha.

27. musicman7070

Beer Trader

I'm sorry man. I should've posted earlier on here about them selling in store and not online. My bad. How many did you end up getting?

28. iL0VEbeer

Beer Trader

I was only able to buy 3. 1 from Spirits Red Bank for $11 and 2 from the beer guy at a shop that I spend way too much money at.

Charlie_Hoss likes this.
  29. digdug1810

Beer Trader

i could have bought 2-3 at martins but passed on the 11.99 price, i'd rather only have the one i did get at wegmans mt laurel then have four but have paid basically $41ish for that 4 pack

which ones of yous were waiting on friday for CH wegmans to open? you guys nab'd up all the kbs before i could get there on my lunch break! yikes.. i was slow on the draw.. haha enjoy

30. GoGators

Subscriber Beer Trader

I was able to score 1 bottle at WF in Union at a good price of $5.99 but did make a lot of calls and many stops along the way. But reading through this thread and having had KBS before, i will say this beer can not possibly be good enough for the trouble myself and everyone else has gone through to get it. There are plenty of great BA Stouts out there that are easily available and a hell of a lot cheaper. $13-$20 for a 1 bottle of KBS? Have we all lost our minds? And I'll add if I walked into any store that rang a bottle up for over $10, I'd leave it there and that would be the last time they saw me in that store.

cde1218, ufmj, ripps1 and 1 other person like this.
  31. Timmush

I opened a Kbs, a black Tuesday (thanks Bill) , and a Bcbs for my birthday and Kbs was a distant third.

joshwars, schillman and Charlie_Hoss like this.
  32. Charlie_Hoss

Beer Trader

I couldnt agree more! (never had black tuesday but black note and bbpt5 are amazing and far tastier)

33. Giovannilucano

Wow, so no one here lives close to me here in Collingswood in Camden County. I randomly walked in to the store on Friday in Cook's Liquor and got one bottle, thanks to the kindness of the beer manager. And that one is good enough for the year...

34. cde1218

Beer Trader

How much did martin's get?? I'm usually in awe at how egregious their prices are on everything in stock!

Charlie_Hoss likes this.
  35. digdug1810

Beer Trader

1 case like all other shops to my knowledge if they got any at all

cde1218 likes this.
  36. joshwars

Every shop I have asked who got any said they only got 1 case.

edit: agreeing with the comment, not trying to be captain obvious.

37. beernut

A favor to ask, please don't mention stories like this if you have ZERO intention of outing the store. Everyone should be made aware of stores that do this.

38. megamass

Beer Trader

It was marketplace wines on rt18 in East Brunswick saw it on their twitter

39. joshwars

So I randomly got a call on Sunday, April 14 from Super Saver in Somerville saying KBS was there and I had three days to come claim my bottle. Made it in Monday and it was $6.99 without any drama. Hope some others made the run down as they went down their list and scored at the reasonable price as well. When my name made the list I had to be ~25-30 range so I am guessing there are a number of happy people out there.

40. Keyes88

Beer Trader

Went to
    I went to marketplace after this was first posted as I use to work there an opened a box. None of the IPAs were over 3 weeks old.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe