KBS Vertical

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by BobZ, Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobZ

BobZ Savant (1,193) Jun 24, 2009 Massachusetts

Last night I poured 3 bottles of KBS. 2010, 2011, and 2012 releases. Split the bottles with a friend (as my wife is not a fan of either Bourbon or Stouts).

Minutia: 2012 into Duvel Tulips, 2011 into St. Bernardus chalices, and 2010 into Aventinus Eisbock glasses.

The differences were noticeable but not extreme:

The 2012 had the Chocolate, Coffee, and Bourbon, with a fair amount of Vanilla flavors. The bourbon caused the beer to finish a little on the "sharp" side but in all honesty if I wasn’t doing a side-by-side tasting I'm not sure it would have been that noticeable.

The 2011 had the same three components and contrary to what I expected, the coffee flavor hardly diminished (or fell-off) at all, the bourbon mellowed nicely and the beer finished incredibly smooth.

The 2010 did have a more noticeable drop in coffee but again not "extreme drop-off" by any means, the chocolate was more prevalent and the finish had a more noticeable warmth.

I'd have to say the 2011 was the most enjoyable for me, a shame there are only 2 bottles of that year left in the cellar but based on my experience I'll be drinking them sooner rather than later.

Still a great beer that deserves its rep. Never sticky or cloying as it warms (as this was my primary complaint with BCBS as it became like molasses as it warmed) just enjoyable start to finish. Again drinking all three years at the same time, going back and forth, was a great way to enjoy them.

2. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Pooh-Bah (2,419) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah

Thanks for sharing that!

3. Hophead717

Hophead717 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Massachusetts

I opened a 2010 and 2012 side-by-side earlier in the week.

Here's how I described the 2012: Bittersweet chocolate upfront, yielding to dominate coffee mid-sip that lingers into the finish. Light bourbon in the finish, but not very present. Very well-integrated flavors, with the bourbon playing second fiddle to the choco-coffee stout. Enjoyable and not nearly as bourbon-y as expected.

Here's how I found the 2010: Sweeter chocolate—less full flavored than the fresh, but sweeter. Little of the coffee remains and what does is a shell of the coffee in the fresh 2012. Bourbon dominates the finish, much more noticeable than in the fresh, probably due to the lack of coffee. Sweeter than fresh with the chocolate a little lessened and with the coffee all but gone. The upside is that the bourbon dominates the back to finish in an outstanding way. If I'm looking for a bourbon-y stout, I'd go for an aged KBS. If I want totally integrated choco-coffee stout with the slightest hint of bourbon, I'd go for fresh KBS. If I want a bourbon-dominate beer, I'd go for BCBS.

4. jamesfrazer

jamesfrazer Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 Virginia

I couldnt wait till the 2012 came out to crack open my 2011(3 of them) The 2011 aged so well, i will never ever drink another fresh bottle of KBS ever again.....I have a 4 pack comming to me later this week!

5. weaksauce

weaksauce Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2010 Ohio

Just did a '09-'12 vertical the other day. My preference was 2011, 2009, 2012, 2010. I really liked how the 2011 kept most of the flavors including coffee and barrel but had smoothed out a little. The 2009 was awesome, a lot of chocolate flavor but lacked the bourbon and coffee. 2012 was great fresh as KBS always is. I wasn't too impressed with the 2010, I wonder if it was just batch differences or if I would like it more with another year on it.

6. BirdsandHops

BirdsandHops Pooh-Bah (2,837) Apr 14, 2008 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

KBS aging topics come up often and most people swear up and down that it's best fresh. While it is most certainly fantastic fresh, I think it is very slightly better with a year on it and still has a ton of coffee flavor. Year-old KBS is like a dark chocolate pound cake with a mocha icing and soaked in bourbon. Coffee flavors often fall off very fast--BCBCS with 4-5 months on it has practically no coffee flavor and FBS with a year is decent at best--but with KBS it seems to last quite a while.

Nuggethops likes this.
  7. semibaked

semibaked Pooh-Bah (1,897) Mar 27, 2007 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Deactivated

I'm opening my 06 to 12 Vertical on Monday or Tuesday with 2 other BA's, can't wait!

8. herman77

herman77 Maven (1,486) Jan 24, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

Just did a 11-12 tasting side by side and I noticed the coffee was still very prominent in the 11. To me, it was almost stronger or more assertive coffee tasting than the 12 and had lost some chocolate components compared to the fresh. That said, I prefer it fresh. Still have one 10 left so I should do a side by side with the a fresh one soon.

9. steebo777

steebo777 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

I hate/love you. I want to try a 06 and 07 so bad. 08 has been my favorite by far.

10. mdfb79

mdfb79 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,643) Jan 11, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Interesting to hear everyone's opinions; just shows you how different people's taste buds are. I've had 10, 11, and 12 all in the last 3 weeks, but separately, and ranked 11 the worst (though I still enjoyed it). I really enjoyed 10 and 12, but for very different reasons. I actually liked the 12 more than I remember liking it fresh last year. Looking forward to doing 10-12 side by side in the near future.

11. KevSal

KevSal Pooh-Bah (2,916) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

hiw did the tasting go? would love to hear how the aged bottles taste

12. Nuggethops

Nuggethops Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2010 New Hampshire

I had an 11 and 12 recently and have to say I preferred the 11 slightly, It was a touch smoother with a little less heat and the coffee/chocolate flavors had faded only slightly. I will prob drink the other 2 11's I have sooner than later and will hold onto the other 2 12's I have until next year.

13. Channel10Geuze

Channel10Geuze Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

I had a 2011 not too long ago, I thought it was perfect. The bourbon faded just enough, and still had a tiny bit of coffee left.. Yum.

14. wsnich

wsnich Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2010 Texas

Anyone had an '05 recently? Have a friend sitting on a bottle, who has no idea what to do with it.

15. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I wish I were able to get enough KBS to start saving up for a vertical :slight_frown:

16. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2010 Tajikistan

There are no 2005 bottles* (exception being competition / festival ones). 2006 was first year of commercial release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.