KC Liquor Orange, CA - Stay Away

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by RaulMondesi, Jul 2, 2013.

1. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Dec 11, 2006 California

I bought a 6 pack of Ballast Point Longfin Lager last Thursday (27th), only to open one today to find out that it had an Enjoy By date of 1-23-13.

Long story short, when I tried to exchange it for a fresh 6 pack, the owner first tried to tell me that the beer was still good a year after the Enjoy by date. After I quickly rebuffed him, he then tried to blame it on the distributor (they weren't having any of it when he called) so he then called me a liar saying that I bought the beer somewhere else.

When I told him if he wouldn't exchange it, I would never come back again (and tell my friends to never return also) he responded, "Good."

-Would letting Ballast Point know about this make a difference? I'm sure they don't want their beer sold 6 months past the Enjoy By ate. Oh, and the Deschutes River Ale was also two weeks past its Enjoy By date. Great place.

mshen, kojevergas and NickManning like this.
  2. jtmartino

jtmartino Dec 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

It's worth a shot, but in my experience most breweries won't do much about it and will usually end up pointing fingers at the distributor. Your best bet is to spread the word and keep people away from the store...leave a review on Yelp and all that too.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  3. PlinyTheYoungest

PlinyTheYoungest Jun 30, 2009 California

Not surprising really. I've only gone in there looking for Enjoy By as Stone shows it on their map as a store that gets it, but each time I've gone to him he has no idea what I'm talking about. That being said it seems most liquor stores in Orange and surrounding areas that have good craft selection tend to be littered with out of date bottles. This is why most of the time I head to Total Wine or a specialty shop that's a bit further from my home.

As far as reporting the beers to Ballast Point, I'm not sure what they will do specifically but I have reported out of date beers to Stone and I have gotten emails from Mitch Steele himself among others thanking me for informing them and letting me know they'd take care of it.

4. RaulMondesi

Yeah, I understand out of date beer - it happens. But not only was this beer 6 months past it's Enjoy By date, the way that the owner weaseled around it (and eventually called me a liar) led me to writing this post. Instead of giving me another 6 pack, he just lost hundreds of dollars.

5. NickManning

NickManning Jul 2, 2013 California

I can't stand poor customer service. Simple math:

One item = $10 spent
    Customer comes in 6x a year and so do his 4 buddies = $240 for the year.

So over a $10 item, he pisses $230 down the drain. Not only is it financially stupid, but it's just a dick move. Raul, I hope you have a few buddies who will stop going here after hearing about this.

flexabull, blguillen and RaulMondesi like this.
  6. heresy22

heresy22 Apr 9, 2007 California
    Subscriber

Send an email to Ballast Point letting them know one of their accounts is selling past due product. Assume you will not hear back. You might be pleasantly surprised. If nothing else, hopefully it helps prevent another experience like this for you.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  7. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Jul 13, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

you should have bought more 6 months ago, then you wouldnt have this problem (devils advocate)

8. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Oct 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

The one off Santiago?

9. litheum94

litheum94 Dec 29, 2008 California

His worse transgression wasn't selling expired beers. Shit slips through sometimes. Him being a dick to you, that's unacceptable.

Dagsy, GRG1313, mshen and 5 others like this.
  10. RaulMondesi

Apparently there are two KC's in Orange (different owners I believe.) This is KC Delicatessen/liquor on Tustin/off Palmyra.

11. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Oct 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I always wondered about this place... it always reminded me of a bizarro version of Hollingshead Deli. Thus, I would always just visit Hollingshead whenever I'm in the area. Good to know that I haven't been missing out on much.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  12. frankzito

frankzito Jun 4, 2006 Arizona

not to take away from scumbaggery of the proprietor, but i always check the 'enjoy by' date, provided that it's printed on the bottle. when in doubt, i head to another shop...

13. colonelforbin

colonelforbin Aug 23, 2007 California

What was he supposed to do? Bow down and do everything you wanted? I know nothing about that store or the stores around there in general, but if I was him I'd be happy to lose a customer like you as you kind of sound like an asshole.

Also, why didn't you look at the "Enjoy by" date before you bought the beer? Seems like that would have been the reasonable thing to do if you were that concerned.

If the price of one six pack is going to make you that upset, perhaps it's time to find a different hobby?

sandiego67 likes this.
  14. JasonFromLA

JasonFromLA Jan 9, 2013 California

Definitely a place I won't visit. Much better options around the area anyway!

15. w_klon

w_klon Aug 1, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

You obviously have never worked in retail. If you have/are in retail, your coworkers hate you. #truestory

16. MLucky

MLucky Jul 31, 2010 California

This. He deserved to get yelped on, bad.

17. Hopmother

Hopmother Jun 22, 2012 California

Wow I have heard of Sculpin being out of stock but damn he should of exchanged it for you and he can get credited back from the distributor.If i owned a store I would of apologized and refunded their money.

18. crbooher

crbooher Apr 8, 2010 California

Not sure if you bought bottles or cans. But, I recently learned that one cannot check the enjoy by date of the new cans unless one has opened the cardboard box they are packaged in. The bottles do permit on to check this, however.

19. USMCretired

USMCretired Sep 3, 2012 California

I hope the internet makes some of these asshole store owners go out of business. Back in the day one could threaten to never shop at a place again and an owner could say "good" and there would be nothing one could do about it because they are only one customer.

Thank God for the self-righteous egomaniac yelpers with multiple accounts who now have an outlet for their rage when they feel disrespected.

albertq17 likes this.
  20. erichxedge

erichxedge Nov 29, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I work for the distributor that does Ballast point for this area ... Total rotation issue with this. We get fresh Longfin in each week into each house which means he is not stocking his shelves right unforuntetly. The case was probably sitting underneath a pile of other stuff for months possibly and he just noticed and threw it up on his shelf. Bummer.

21. RaulMondesi

Sounds about right.

22. hiimrichie

hiimrichie Jul 11, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

This isn't playing devil's advocate, it's being a dick.

Garbage customer service on his behalf, definitely would try and avoid the store as a result.

23. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Mar 20, 2011 California

I always see old beer on the shelves.. Seems like common practice...

MiScusi likes this.
  24. GRG1313

GRG1313 Jan 15, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I trust you are equally magnanimous and open minded when you receive your green rotten hamburger on a bun that is as hard as a rock with limp lettuce, sprouting onions and rancid dressing. I mean,...hey, .. . .if you complain about it what's the place to do? Right? C'mon...is it supposed to give you a fresh burger with a soft bun and fresh veggies and Sauce?? Hell no! You go dude! You rock! I respect a man who eats rotten food!

25. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Nov 29, 2012 California

what a dick

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe