keg and wine fridge in one

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by td3201, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. td3201

td3201 Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2014

Has anyone seen a keg and wine fridge combo in one unit? Looking for the traditional mini-fridge size. Thinking the wine lines the front and the back would fit a 1/6 barrel keg only. Might be able to retro fit a kegerator for it but curious if anyone has seen this concept yet.

2. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Savant (952) Sep 4, 2010 California

I have never seen that, but it could be cool. It would seem like it would be too cold to be storing wine in though.

3. Fezzik1970

Fezzik1970 Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2014 New Jersey

Prior to service ideal wine storage and consumption is in the 50s. Beer is 40s. You will either be opening cold wine or pouring warm beer if it's 1 chamber as you suggest.

4. bcoyle

bcoyle Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2011 Massachusetts

I have a wine fridge that holds different temps for reds and whites, but never seen a wine/beer combo. So keeping different temps is not an issue, I like the idea.

5. DougC123

DougC123 Disciple (329) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

I see you posted on Micromatic's site too. I was going to point you there, they sell dual temp pro line wine dispensers so you could theoretically use one side for beer and the other for wine.

6. td3201

Good point on the cold wine or warm beer. Since it's my project and my wife drinks the wine, she can have cold wine. She stores it in our fridge which is already too cold anyways. With that being the case, I'll put together a design on retrofitting a normal kegerator with some racks, lighting and a clear/windowed door.

7. td3201

8. DougC123

You don't want to be storing bottles in a cold plate kegerator, opening and closing it will cause the plate to frost over and lead to all sorts of foam and cooling problems with the beer.

9. td3201

Thanks for your response. I considered that as well. Ideally, it won't be frequently accessed. We have a separate fridge in the garage for most of that stuff. This would be overflow. In the end, it's main purpose is a keg fridge but need to sell my wife on it so the wine component is factored in now. :slight_smile:

10. DougC123

OK, good luck selling it. If you go this route we will see you soon when you start posting about foam.

billandsuz likes this.
  11. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (410) Sep 1, 2004 New York

I modified U-Line wine fridge for sixtels. don't do it. you will not get even temp control. I have been screwing around with mine for a long time and I have many draft system installs under my belt. ... don't do it. the cold plate is specifically designed to be at two different temps at the bottom and the top. the top is not as cold as the bottom. keeping your line cold is a total pita. don't do it.

as for the MicroMatic wine fridge, these are very nice and very expensive. and you are of course limited to the proprietary Torr wine storage system, those systems are not designed for bottles. a wine fridge for bottles on the other hand, is not designed for kegs.

you really have one choice here. a kegerator. you can find some space inside for a wine bottle or two, that's it. and you will be drinking 38-40 degree wine.
    Cheers.

12. td3201

I appreciate the responses. Will need to go back to the drawing board here.

13. td3201

14. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (410) Sep 1, 2004 New York

how do you plan to fit a keg in there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.