Keg denomination availability - MI centric

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by goast8127, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goast8127

goast8127 Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2010 Michigan

Just purchased a 1/4 barrel of Breakfast Stout for my kegarator. Was able to get a slim 1/4, which is about a half inch too wide to fit my system, which is designed for two 1/6's (old soda can variety). I put some leg work into getting the beer from the 1/4 into two 1/6's that work with my system and everything is great. I'm wondering though, if more breweries are moving away from distributing in 1/6 barrels. I was told that Founders discountinued this denomination, and heard that Short's stopped as well, even though I got one from them as recently as last summer. I know Dragonmead still does 1/6's.

Does anyone have insight into this? Do I need to look into modifying or replacing my system to adjust with a change? Will it only be the smaller breweries that have these available?

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

I know Liberty St is doing 6ths, as well as Vivant and New Holland...

3. Holiday1072

Holiday1072 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2008 Michigan

Dark Horse, New Holland, North Peak, Shorts still does them sold a 1/6 of Huma last week and still have a Soft Parade on hand, Arcafia, most of the Michigan breweries utilize 1/6 barrels as opposed to 1/4s. The ones that currently do 1/4bbls would be Bells, Shorts and now Founders.

4. sloppymoose

sloppymoose Initiate (0) May 28, 2008 Michigan

If you are thinking corney kegs, olde peninsula in kzoo has these for the cheap. only problem is if you use a sanke coupler, you are screwed.

5. canoale

canoale Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2010 Ohio

Got a corney last year that had a sankey D welded in & poppets welded shut . From shorts,
    This makes me glad I did a keezer ,( the availability issue ) however they have their own downsides
    I have a hard enough time getting 1/2' s

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.