Keg hopping: distribution of flavor

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GeeL, Oct 13, 2018 at 10:16 PM.

1. GeeL

GeeL Initiate (167) Aug 27, 2008 Massachusetts

Just wondering: if I put some pellet hops in a metal tea ball and sink it 1/2 way down, will the flavor of the hops permeate through the whole batch?

What if I just drop the tea ball in and sink it to the bottom?

I cook a lot, and know it's best to stir when I add ingredients. So along those lines, what if I put the tea ball of hops in, then after a few days invert the keg one or two times?

Actually, now that I think of it, I think that's what I'll do. But let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

2. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,737) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

When I keg hop, hops go in a nylon bag that gets tied off and suspended using unwaxed regular dental floss that is tied is tied off on the outside handles. I put a stainless steel spoon or two in the bag to weight it down do that hops are not floating at the liquid level. I do not agitate; diffusion takes its course.

3. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (433) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

Neither do I . . . container of choice was the same nylon paint strainer bag but have found I get a little less hop debris "leaking out" when using a muslin bag. Never have inverted or suffered from lack thereof.

For OP; a metal tea bag will certainly work, but do you have enough room? Remember those hops will really expand and if compacted you will minimize contact with the beer. I used to use one of these but quit when I found anything over about one ounce reduced the oils being absorbed:

[​IMG]