Kegerator/Fermentation Chamber Bar Cabinet

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by Haywire, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Haywire

Haywire Sep 25, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

A coue of weeks ago, I was able to get an old, best up kegerator from a friend of mine. It was in horrible shape and I already had a fully functional kegerator on hand. So, as a new home brewer, I figured it was time to finally make a fermentation chamber to better my brewing process. I plugged up the old hole with some spray in insulation and purchased a Johnson temperature controller. My only problem with the set up was it was ugly as hell next to my kegerator. So I decided to build something to house the whole set up and make it look a bit nicer.

My first stop was to Lowes to get some of the materials I needed. Once I started building it, I realized I still had the daunting task of making it look nice. So, I headed over to the ISO: Brewerania forum and was lucky enough to find a bunch if generous folks that were willing to donate some bottle caps.

Here's the first portion of the build with a few caps laid on top.

[​IMG]

After the donations came in, I started laying them out to see how many more I'd need.

[​IMG]

I also decided to use the craft beer carrier cases I had been saving to decorate the side panels.

[​IMG]

Just as I thought I was done, I decided to up the ante and add a top portion to it as well as stain the bottom.

[​IMG]

I added the Johnson controller to the inside support beam.

[​IMG]

Then I stained the top.

[​IMG]

After the stain was added, I put the top panel and the side shelf in and started laying out a pattern on the shelf.

[​IMG]

Now that all the building is complete, all I have left is to glue down the caps on the shelf and countertop in a pattern and I've decided to grout the whole thing rather than use resin because I'm going for a mosaic look. Ill post more pictures of my new bar as I make some more progress. Hope to have this project done by next weekend.

zekeman17 likes this.
  2. Haywire

Beer Trader

And just added 3 glass racks to the top of it.

[​IMG]

3. texasdrugaddict

texasdrugaddict Oct 11, 2012 New Mexico

That is pretty freaking awesome. What kegerator/mini fridge did you start with?

I like the idea of building a unit around it. I have a wooden glass shelf just laying in the garage too. so i can use this idea for sure.

4. Haywire

Beer Trader

My actual kegerator with the tap tower is a converted 4 cu ft Sanyo. The fermentation chamber is an old school 4.4 cu ft Kenmore. Looks like it came straight out of a college frat with fake wooden panels and stickers all over it. Hence the reason to build this beast.

texasdrugaddict likes this.
  5. Haywire

Beer Trader

Finally finished the side shelf for the pint glasses and such. Glad I did the shelf before the countertop because I learned a ton about grouting bottle caps. The biggest lesson learned is bottle caps are unforgiving when it comes to grout. Every slight imperfection in the cap is brought to light when you first apply the grout. Any dent or miniscule bend in the cap captures excess grout. After applying, smoothing it out and then wiping of initial excess, I had to go around to nearly every cap and try to scrape out the excess grout that got stuck in the small imperfections. Also, since the joints between each cap are always going to be more than 1/8", drying time takes A LOT longer. And I'm glad I went with unsanded grout over sanded. Sanded would have destroyed the art on the caps. Here's a pic of the (nearly) complete shelf:

[​IMG]

Needs to dry for another 12 hours and then I just have to apply a sealant. Despite the imperfections in the caps, I would never ease them out for the world. Each ding, dent, and bend reveals a story behind the cap. Can't wait to get more caps in so I can start on the countertop.

texasdrugaddict and AngusOg like this.
  6. Steve_Oldrati

Steve_Oldrati Nov 1, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I think I see some of my caps in there! ;) Awesome work man.

Haywire likes this.
  7. Haywire

Beer Trader

Can't thank you enough for the generous donations. A few more people are sending some more caps my way so I can finish off the main countertop. I'll post some more pictures once I get them.

Steve_Oldrati likes this.
  8. Haywire

Beer Trader

Added my glassware and growlers to the shelf.

[​IMG]

Can't wait to start on the table top.

Steve_Oldrati likes this.
  9. Haywire

Beer Trader

So many more caps came in and I can thank all the contributors enough. Once this project is officially complete, I'll be sure the beer gods return the favor.

Anyway, I'm nearly finished. I laid out a design on the main countertop and grouted it. Much easier this time around since I learned a lot from grouting the shelf.

Here's a great side shot of the whole cabinet.

[​IMG]

A shot from the front.

[​IMG]

A close up near the tap tower and drip tray.

[​IMG]

And another.

[​IMG]

Aerial view.

[​IMG]

Underneath the side shelf.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally the side shelf itself.

[​IMG]

I still have some touch ups to do, mainly finishing off the side panels and covering them in plexiglass to protect the beer case art. Also considering layering the countertop and shelf with a thin layer of resin for a more glossy look and for added protection from spilled liquids. Finally, a fellow homebrewer is sending me a couple of custom caps so I'll chisel out a couple of the duplicates and display his, like I did with the Santa Clara Brewing cap. Just a minor touch up job.

Gonna try my hand at making grouted coasters with the extra caps I have once I'm completely done with this. Any suggestions from fellow BAs out there as to how I can improve my project are greatly appreciated.

zekeman17 and texasdrugaddict like this.
  10. zekeman17

zekeman17 Feb 14, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

That came out really nice. Well done.
    I've got a few fuzzy memories associated with a bunch of
    those Kona caps!!

Haywire likes this.
  11. Masemob

Masemob Aug 27, 2013 Florida

I love the bottle cap idea! Wish I had room to build something this epic. Well done sir.

Haywire likes this.
  12. Haywire

Beer Trader

Not sure the space you're working with but this piece is about 4.5' wide and 2' deep. It could have been less wide if I didn't have two fridges inside. Probably could have been cut down to about 2.5' wide.

Masemob likes this.
  13. Masemob

Masemob Aug 27, 2013 Florida

Just about a 900 sq ft 2 bed villa. I don't even have a dining room table (who needs one anyway?) haha. I may have to get crafty though!

14. Haywire

Beer Trader

Just added some lights to it for added effect. Not sure I will ever actually pour beer in the dark though :)

[​IMG]

15. Haywire

Beer Trader

Added some of the coolest tap handles ever to the tap tower.

[​IMG]

16. mattafett

mattafett Mar 9, 2009 Iowa

Nice project!! I always like the end result of the stuff I do, but the process can really drag on sometimes.

Haywire likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe