Kegerator Pressure - Micro VS Macro

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by osubeerkind, Sep 24, 2012.

?

BMC vs Micro (stouts, IPA) Regulators needed

Poll closed Oct 1, 2012.
  1. Single Regulator with two air ports -Kegs get same air pressure

    1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Double Regulator - regulates different pressures to each keg

    2 vote(s)
    66.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osubeerkind

    osubeerkind Initiate (45) Jan 12, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

    Dual tap kegerator. One for micro beer (starting with a stout) and one for BMC. Should I be using a single regulator with two air release ports or use a double regular so I can regulate each individually? Not sure if my required air pressure will vary to much?
     
  2. camil1mj

    camil1mj Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

    IMHO you need the dual regulator. The pressure will really vary by style of beer. It doesn't have much to do with micro/macro.
     
  3. mikehartigan

    mikehartigan Aspirant (290) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

    As with many such questions, it depends. Two regulators are certainly more flexible, but unless you plan to serve beer that is differently carbonated, it's overkill. 95% of American beers will happily survive at 12-ish psi. Unless you plan to serve the other 5% at the same time, a single regulator will do the job. On the other hand, $35-ish is not a helluva price to pay for 'just in case'. (FWIW, I have 4 faucets with 2 regulators)
     
    Kadonny likes this.
  4. DanOLeary

    DanOLeary Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2009 Washington

    For a comprehensive read on serving lines and pressure you can go to http://www.draughtquality.org. There's a PDF on that site that you can download called the Draught Beer Quality Manual. There's some math involved with regard to the diameter of your serving lines, length of lines and the height of the tap above the beer in the keg.

    Basically you want to maintain the level of carbonation in the beer as you draw the beer out over time. Ideally a pint of beer is poured in 8 seconds. At least that's what I was told by a guy who owns a tap line cleaning service. So shoot for a pressure that gives you approximately that rate of flow. You could start at 10psi and work your way up if need be. Watch for bubbles forming in the line, you'll want to increase the psi by 1 and check for bubbles. And of course check for leaks...
     
  5. VikeMan

    VikeMan Meyvn (1,442) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

    I'd vote for dual primaries, if you foresee a wide variety of beer styles. I have a dual primary, multiple distributor setup in my keezer, and sometimes wish I had a third primary regulator.
     
  6. seanoj

    seanoj Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2010 California

    You could go with a single with a T and add this later if you find that you are serving beers with wildly different serving pressures.

    I have both (I do a triple cornelius in my kegerator). I usually have at least one beer that is different enough to justify it.
     
  7. joshwars

    joshwars Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 New Jersey

    Go with dual - gives you flexibility and for the minor price difference it just makes sense.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

    Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

    Learn More
  • Our Community

    Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

    Learn More
  • Our Events

    Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

    Learn More
  • Our Magazine

    Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

    Learn More