Ken Grossman on the Sierra Nevada Camp Fire Relief Fund and the Collaborative Effort Behind Resilien

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Dec 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Admin (16,842) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Society

#1 BeerAdvocate, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2018
    flat_lander, cello, TrojanRB and 9 others like this.
  2. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (491) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

This is probably the best example of community ever in the brewing industry. Hats off to Sierra Nevada for this...

Haven’t tried anything locally, but heading to Odell for happy hour today to do my part :beers:

3. craigo19

craigo19 Devotee (463) Oct 12, 2009 Michigan
    Trader

Love Sierra Nevada! I will gladly buy a 12-pack and a few pints on draft plus a donation.

Sammy, SierraTerence and monkist like this.
  4. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,262) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

I've had two thus far (Fieldwork and Urban Roots) and will sample my 3rd tonight (Sactown Union). Will grab a pour of all the different brewers' batches I come across, and likely a 2nd pour or crowler/growler fill of all the ones I really like. Sierra Nevada and the brewing industry should be very proud of their efforts to assist those impacted by the Camp Fire!

Sadly the true magnitude of the devastation was brought back to scale in Ken's comments. I really hope that massive, record-breaking, wildfires are not soon to be an annual norm. Cautiously optimistic I'll remain.

cjgiant, beertunes and craigo19 like this.
  5. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (11,572) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

It seems to me like a lot of breweries jumped at the opportunity. Most of them were probably eager to help, but I'll also guess that some of them were looking for some visibility - although in my mind they're forgiven if they're going to follow through and pass the sales on as donations.

I've only had the Sierra Nevada version so far but I'm looking forward to trying as many other versions as I can find.

bret717 and Sammy like this.
  6. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (813) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Was out Thursday night at s brewery on the list. Did not see this and forgot to ask.

Enjoy

SierraTerence likes this.
  7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,471) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

A new local committed tothis, I need to go try it out.,

8. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,361) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

190 trucks a day, just to take the debris away. Jesus. Will be buying as much of this as I can.

PatrickCT and jakecattleco like this.
  9. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,223) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Not to detract from the magnitude of the effort and charity of this effort, as properly lauded in you post, but how have the different breweries' versions differed, if noticeably at all?

10. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,262) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Urban Roots and Sactown Union tasted similarly, and close to Celebration, but perhaps not surprising (they stuck to the recipe and have similar brewhouses). Fieldwork added some Southern Hemisphere varieties dry hopping, which I didn't personally like.

Sammy and cjgiant like this.
  11. Grackos

Grackos Disciple (332) Sep 6, 2014 Florida

This was amazing, I will be buying this IPA. Love Sierra Nevada.

12. mudbug

mudbug Defender (621) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

Even all the way out here to the Oregon Coast. Wolf Tree brewed some and it is very good.

drtth likes this.
  13. AndyBrewsBeer

AndyBrewsBeer Initiate (100) May 6, 2015 California
    Trader

Had some at Bruery Terreux last night and it was really good. Definetly tastes like a Sierra Nevada recipe. Keeping my eye out at other places now.

14. Quafftastic

Quafftastic Disciple (399) Feb 6, 2012 Virginia

Great cause. Thanks for doing it!
    God bless!

15. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,570) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

My aunt and uncle lived in Paradise and worked at Sierra Nevada for many years, so this hits close to home.

Just had my first taste at Hopsaint....excellent beer for a very important cause. Proud to see Sierra Nevada being active in taking a leadership role to give back.

bstoos, PatrickCT and jakecattleco like this.
  16. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (624) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Have now tried perennial, side project, and 2nd shift variations. Excellent beer for an excellent cause!

jakecattleco and Jaycase like this.
  17. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,472) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Going to find it. Damn good cause.

18. thuey

thuey Disciple (323) Nov 13, 2015 California

Fieldwork's version is a hazy juicy version.

Cellarmaker's version has less malt than the SN recipe (but with oats and rye), and a different hop blend.

cjgiant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.