Kern River Brewing Co.

Discussion in 'US - West' started by aquazr1, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aquazr1

aquazr1 Defender (677) Jul 27, 2013 California

Winter Ale was THE beer that was on point this year. Others I know agree as well.

2. dcgunman

dcgunman Meyvn (1,335) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Had 4 bottles of Winter Ale this season.
    All good.

JayORear, Original_Fake and redeemer like this.
  3. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

I'm looking to trade a couple of Citra six-packs near the end of March. If you're interested let me know.

4. mikul93

mikul93 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2011 California

Maybe I had an off bottle, but I was disappointed.

5. dcgunman

Society Trader

Think Tank #15.......this one is very very good. Is it hazy?
    Yes. But not so juicy haze. Almost like what a west coast haze would taste like.

6. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,789) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Definitely liked it! Agreed on WC haze. Could see it having the onion/garlic aspects for some palates though.

7. Ice_Cream_And_IPAs

Ice_Cream_And_IPAs Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2016 New York

I liked it a lot too. The hop finish on it is very interesting - it's not for the haze bros. It's a bit pricey but I'd recommend getting a bottle, at least just to try. Especially since it's supposedly a one-time release.

8. dcgunman

Society Trader

I’m not sure if TT15 is a one time release only. I think they should keep this series going. In bombers. But we are seeing less bottles and more cans these days. So who knows? I’m still hoping KRBC will put Class V in cans. 6pk or 4pk, doesn’t matter. Can’s.

aquazr1 likes this.
  9. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (203) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

Good times at KRBC yesterday. Citra is tasting pretty damn good. Really enjoyed the imperial coffee porter too.

jakecattleco likes this.
  10. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2013 North Carolina

Citra was better than the last few batches I think. I liked every IPA they had on tap.

11. analogchainsaw

analogchainsaw Initiate (181) Nov 21, 2011 California

We had a good time hanging out at the pub and Backyard yesterday and enjoyed Citra on tap.

Opened a couple Citra cans this evening. Looks, smells, and tastes great - I'd say it's much improved from the last few batches. I wouldn't put it as high up there as the earlier years but the fog of time and many other great IPAs since then might be skewing my opinion.

j47paco, Sisky and Original_Fake like this.
  12. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,789) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Tell me more about this imperial coffee porter...any idea if it will see packaged distro?

13. walterfredo

Trader

I really have no idea at all about that. Did not ask. But I thought it was really delicious. Would love to see it distro’d.

jakecattleco likes this.
  14. dcgunman

Society Trader

Has anyone got a heads up on Citra DIPA kegs showing up in the OC/LA area? I'm sure no cans were released for distro. Just curious. It would be nice to try Citra to compare to the past Citra releases. Thanks.

15. walterfredo

Trader

Had a can last night and stand by earlier statement. This batch is very good!

dcgunman likes this.
  16. dcgunman

Society Trader

Compared to previous batches? I go all the way back to Batch 1 release. Thx.

17. walterfredo

Trader

I don't know, so hard to say. Not sure when they started brewing it or when I had it first, but I think I had it the last two or three times they did the "line up and wait for hours like an idiot" thing. Is it as good as those older batches? I don't know. Pallets change...other breweries have stepped up their games significantly. All I can say is that I think this batch is delicious and I definitely enjoy it more than the last several batches, and I am glad I grabbed a case.

Original_Fake and dcgunman like this.
  18. j47paco

j47paco Initiate (122) Dec 19, 2010 California
    Trader

Kelly’s Korner Tavern in Placentia is tapping a keg tomorrow.

dcgunman likes this.
  19. Kenny_Powers

Kenny_Powers Initiate (21) Feb 19, 2016 California

Sweet, you gonna grab a schooner?

20. j47paco

j47paco Initiate (122) Dec 19, 2010 California
    Trader

Ha! I’ll swing by for a small pour. I don’t think they’ve used schooners there since ownership changed years ago.

21. kpacedo

kpacedo Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 California

FFS. First time we passed on semi annual Citra and they decide to finally dial it in?

Good to know....

22. dcgunman

Society Trader

Yes, this latest batch of Citra on draft is better than the last 3 or 4 batches. Not quite the citrus taste of Kern’s OG Citra back in the hey days. It’s nice to get a pint of this sooo close to home.

23. dcgunman

Society Trader

bump...
    It's been a while since my last Kern goodness. Yes I still love me some Kern IPA's along with all this other haze and clear sh!te that's out there. So fresh Chuurch cans and JO can be found for those who's looking. Some new bottles have been seen in and around the OC/LA area lately. Think Tank #16, Eddy Flower TIPA, Long Swim, Hop Nookie and 12th Anniversary (Golden Stout) bombers are out. The Golden Stout looks interesting.

jakecattleco and MonkeyBread like this.
  24. ClippersSD

ClippersSD Initiate (154) Jul 17, 2013 California
    Trader

Would love to get on this thread and read that the old Citra is back. Maybe someday!

dcgunman likes this.
  25. OTB

OTB Zealot (503) Sep 2, 2011 California

I think thats kinda like the the thread where everyone is waiting to hear the OG Nelson is back........get in line.

Cheers,

26. ClippersSD

ClippersSD Initiate (154) Jul 17, 2013 California
    Trader

We can dream for both. Right?

jakecattleco likes this.
  27. MAS

MAS Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2006 California

The last two times I had Citra from a keg I thought I was drinking from a mislabeled keg of Hop Nookie. Beer menu had it at 11% alcohol. It tasted greasy and odd. My current go to from KRBC is Chuurch. Excellent ipa in a can.

AlmostDeadly777, drewone and dcgunman like this.
  28. dcgunman

Society Trader

Yes, Church is very good. Grabbed a bomber of Think Tank 16 yesterday. Still looking for their 12th Anniversary bottle.

29. TheBrewsky

TheBrewsky Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2017 California

Haven't had much from them, but Think Thank 15 was very tasty.

jakecattleco likes this.
  30. dcgunman

Society Trader

MAS likes this.
  31. dcgunman

Society Trader

The taste for winter weather is right around the corner.
    Has anybody seen Winter Double IPA around the OC or LA area? Just curious if this has made the rounds yet?

32. Reema

Reema Disciple (340) Jan 16, 2015 California

Still waiting for Class V Stout in cans for the winter time. God damn I love that beer so much.

33. dcgunman

Society Trader

Question on Just Outstanding. Has JO ever been brewed with Citra hops? I know its dry hopped with simcoe and amarillo. I'm seeing JO w/Citra hops around town. :neutral_face:

34. dcgunman

Society Trader

Yup. This JO w/ Citra Hops is delicious. Oh my.

jamesar likes this.
  35. dcgunman

Society Trader

@OTB If you see this on tap in your area....don’t hesitate. Git it before it’s gone.

36. elemenohpee1

elemenohpee1 Aspirant (200) Oct 29, 2014 California

"In the spirit of our Fall Citra Double IPA release, we are making a special batch of Just Outstanding with Citra! No, we are not blending the two beers, (although that might just work…) we are making our regular JO recipe with all of it’s Simcoe and Amarillo, then adding an additional dose of Citra hops. Enjoy while it lasts!"

37. elemenohpee1

elemenohpee1 Aspirant (200) Oct 29, 2014 California

Hey Gunz, Draft or cans?

Edit. Looking like draft only

#1037 elemenohpee1, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  38. OTB

OTB Zealot (503) Sep 2, 2011 California

Thanks for the heads up buddy but I’ll most likely miss out on this one, sounds deelish though !

Cheers

39. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (231) Jun 13, 2006 California

Having a Think Tank #17 at the moment, very good clear bitter WCIPA at 7%. I need more of these beers in my life.

40. kpacedo

kpacedo Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 California

Wow, no play on this thread anymore despite a Citra release. Anyone been up and have any feedback on the current batch?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.