Keto-friendly (low-carb) beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by flaskman, Apr 12, 2019.

1. flaskman

flaskman Aspirant (279) Aug 3, 2015 New York

I recently went through dry January and then an almost dry February. I started a keto diet on March first and am doing great. I have gone from 279 in early December to 249.8 this afternoon after enjoying 3 - 4% IPA's with a friend that were totally delicious. I feel great! I started to treat myself with with Michelob Ultras early on and have since started enjoying some amazing low carb beers. The latest is Day Time by Lagunitas. A totally amazing IPA with only 3 carbs a bottle and 4% ABV. I have found that the ABV is not an issue for me as my tolerance for alcohol has dropped considerably and I have always found the taste of beer very enjoyable. I have tried several brut IPAs and saisons in the 4 to 5 carb range that were up to 6+% ABV and found them to be very enjoyable. Has anyone else had this experience and I am open to any low carb suggestions. And if anyone out there is thinking of dropping some weight the keto diet has been a miracle for me. The weight is falling off and I am enjoying some great food and beer. I drink no where near what I had been in the recent past but I probably appreciate craft beer more now than ever before.

2. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,574) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Congrats, and keep up the good work, man!

I've been counting calories since Feb myself (though not necessarily carbs), and dropped 20 lbs so far. It's been very doable, and I plan on sticking with it.

Personally, I'm trying to keep my beers around 150-160 calories, so lower gravity lagers, sours and wilds are my go-to beers these days. But the carbs on the lagers may be a sticking point for your plan. If you're into sours, then non-fruited Berliner Weiss and Goses are probably your best bet.

spicoli00 and flaskman like this.
  3. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,574) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I just double-checked one that I've been drinking lately because I found a fresh stash:
    Orval- a bit high in the calories at 190, but the carbs are pretty low at 4g.

egrandfield and flaskman like this.
  4. flaskman

Because I am on a keto diet I do not count calories. I will seek out Orval and appreciate the suggestion. Keep up with the life style change. It's a wonderful feeling.

TongoRad likes this.
  5. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,938) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Dogfish Head has a new beer coming out, if it isn't out already, that is low carb called Slightly Mighty. I believe it is 3.2 carbs per can.

ShanePB, nicholas2121 and flaskman like this.
  6. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (29) May 15, 2018 Virginia

It's out now, in VA at least. Only saw 12 packs and I'm not a fan of having to purchase that many beers to try it.

flaskman likes this.
  7. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,029) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I'm not a keto guy by any means but the r/ketodrunk subreddit offers some really great suggestions.

Congrats on your lifestyle change and your results!

spersichilli, flaskman and TongoRad like this.
  8. horsehockey

horsehockey Initiate (196) Jul 31, 2014 Illinois

Congrats on the diet success. I'd suggest adding in a few strength training sessions a week. That will speed up your fat loss and give you some room for fun stuff like a Ten-Fiddy or two.

If you don't know what to do at the gym. Stick to the basics. Squats, bench press, Deadlifts, and military press. Add in some accessory exercises and you are good to go. For more detail check out 531 by Jim Wendler, or the Juggernaut system by Chad Wesley Smith.

As far as beer suggestions go try Saisons. They are generally dry and very flavorful.

Obvious suggestion.... Saison Dupont.

9. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,551) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

• Budweiser Select 55. Select 55 Premium Light Beer. Budweiser
    • Natural Light. Natural Light.
    • Genesee Light. Genesee Light
    • Michelob Ultra. Michelob ULTRA.
    • Milwaukee's Best. Milwaukee's Best Light.
    • Michelob. Michelob ULTRA Amber
    • Miller. Miller Lite
    • Corona. Corona Premier

nicholas2121 and flaskman like this.
  10. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (782) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Good suggestion on the gym, but big stuff like 10-50 and DuPont are out due to the nature of the Keto diet, which requires you stay below a certain carb threshold, and if you don't, you literally ruin the diet because it pulls your body out of fat-burning mode.

11. taylordane

taylordane Initiate (132) Dec 28, 2015 California
    Trader

Omission Brewing has a few low carb beers that are also "crafted to remove gluten". Works great for me (no more bloating).

ESHBG and flaskman like this.
  12. jnance88

jnance88 Initiate (116) Jun 10, 2014 California
    Trader

Congrats! I've been doing Keto since August. I'm down about 60 right now.
    311 to 250.
    The beer (and potatoes) were the hardest things to give up.
    Not drinking beer has just allowed me to drink more bourbon. HAHA.
    Every body is different, but I find that carb cycling works for me. I can be good for 7-10 days and then have a cheat meal (day) that includes a heavier beer and it doesn't affect me much and can kickstart the weight loss.

13. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,053) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

I applaud you. I have been dabbling in low abv beers too this year. Great choices out there if you look. Daisy cutter at 5.2 is great. Keep on keepin on.

ESHBG, TongoRad and flaskman like this.
  14. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (260) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Are cheat days not allowed? One mighty fine big brew won't kill you. I don't get these diets that restrict so much. Live a little

If you enjoy 4% session ipas, regular ipas are a God send.

I get it though. You've had so little sugar lately, your threshold is so low that you actually like the session ipas. I don't know of anyone personally who likes them who also drink the regular ipas.

Not trying to be a hater but I think your losing weight because your drinking less, not totally because of the lessened carbs elsewhere. It's probably from the carbs in beer alone that you're getting the losses

But I'm not a true believer in the keto fad.

I'd rather have one nice IPA than 5-6 little baby session ipas.

I think the true low carb options have been mentioned. I can take a couple days off from drinking a beer and the first pilsner urquell back is divine. Yet that apparently has 16 g of carbs. I don't know if I can get much lower than that.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  15. Riff

Riff Champion (820) May 12, 2016 Virginia

Yup did that last year, lost several inches off of my waist. Was doing really well right up until my father in law passed and I found myself indulging a bit much over the holidays. Steadily going back to last years habits, including the change in beer, and have almost lost off everything I picked up from the overindulgence. Certainly feel much better again.

Anyways, currently enjoying a Slightly Mighty from DFH. Quite nice, would certainly take it over Ultra or Corona Premier. Slightly on the sweeter side compared to Daytime but decent hop flavor and bitterness to it as well.

TongoRad and flaskman like this.
  16. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (356) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Congrats @flaskman

With an active lifestyle, you can eat/drink anything in moderation. Why not workout religiously and indulge? Life's short. Either way, I'm happy for you and understand the feeling of dropping weight. It's a euphoric feeling that noone else understands. I hope you continue your success.

Milktoast75 and flaskman like this.
  17. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,767) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Martinis have zero carbs, just sayin.

18. Todd

Todd Founder (5,555) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

flaskman likes this.
  19. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (244) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Congrats, OP, that is awesome! Beer is definitely the killer for me and I do well in every category but that one and when the pounds just wouldn't budge or I saw a slight uptick there wasn't much else I could do but cut way back. Once you start researching how many calories and carbs are in your favorite beers it can be a shocker and take Sierra Nevada for example and while this list is a few years old so some of the newest ones aren't on it check out beers like Torpedo with a whopping 237 calories and 20.5 carbs! Drink only a few of those and you've done some damage to your daily intake:

https://www.cdn.sierranevada.com/sites/www.sierranevada.com/files/content/wysiwyg/Nutrition2017.pdf

flaskman likes this.
  20. DoghouseReilly3946

DoghouseReilly3946 Aspirant (294) Aug 17, 2018 Kentucky
    Society

I have been doing the low carb thing for about ten years, with beer being the only real carbs I consume with any regularity and I love North Coast beers, many of which are low carb. Scrimshaw has 2g, Red Seal clocks in at 5g, Pranqster comes in with 7g, and although outside the keto range, Old Rasputin only has 16g.

flaskman and TongoRad like this.
  21. Tucquan

Tucquan Poo-Bah (2,866) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

TongoRad likes this.
  22. rjniles

rjniles Initiate (90) Aug 30, 2012 South Carolina

23. flaskman

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds great. I will be on the lookout for it.

24. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (244) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

OP if you like sours I gave Southern Tier's Mango Crush a go and it's great, at only 4% should fit in with what you may be looking for.

flaskman likes this.
  25. cser

cser Initiate (50) Feb 12, 2015 Pennsylvania

Are you using keto strips to verify you're actually in ketosis? It doesn't take much to kick you out of ketosis. I used the diet when I was a little behind in my prep for a bodybuilding competition and it does work quite well, but I'm struggling to see how beer can fit into a keto diet.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.